Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diary continued!

My weight was 221 today. Thats a loss but remember I went on vacation. South Beach Miami for a week. Only exercised 2 times while there. Pinicoladas, MArgaritas, you know! I'm very happy to still be on track. I am still running 3 miles 5 days a week at the minimum and sometimes more. I am trying to be more involved with lifting but it just isnt what it used to be for me. I do lift and cover all groups in a week but not with passion I had 10 years ago! I'd love to hear routines from some of the guys here/

:ninja

I'm not banded...not entirely sure it will help me. I still think if I work hard enough that I can do it. If I can't do it now, WLS would just give me time until I stretch it out again. I've done it several times before, but those times I didn't excersise. This time I know if my weight starts up again, I will do the WLS. I'm 5'7" and weigh 400 lbs. Walking is still a pain for me. I was in the gym doing weights and the eliptical machine until it started bothering my leg. Unfortunately, I ended up at a Chiropractor who slipped a disk in my neck...I probably had a bad disk there anyway. So, I don't lift now and I'm a little week with my left arm. I'm too big for the MRI machine and without an MRI, I couldn't prove damage and I couldn't get a lawyer to take my case. Not much sympathy from people when you're overweight. Currently, I'm counting calories and trying to keep them below 2000 5 days a week and just trying to hang on on the weekends. What I can do is swim. I'm up 5 mornings a week at 4:30 a.m. to go swimming. I'm currently up to 2/3 of a mile a day. I'm not a fast swimmer, but I don't stop...slow and steady for 40 minutes. I can feel the weight going down. I'm hoping I'm below 400lbs in a couple of weeks...birthday present.

UGG. That means I've been lazy and lifeless. Major dusty wind storms here suck away my motivation. But when I do exercise I try to keep it really basic these days. If I try to do too much, I'll lose my spunk. So I walk rapidly for 45 minutes then straight into upper body weights for about 10 minutes of arms. I don't have the motivation to do the whole body like I used to so I'm happy if I get that done 3 times a week.

I go to the YMCA to Aqua Aerobics for an hour three times a week. Thats all.

I have three herniated discs in my back and thats all I really can do besides take care of my house and many kids.

I am walking between 2 and 3 miles a day and hitting the gym for 30 minutes about 3 times a week. I'll be really happy when it starts to show.

Ok--I kinda know the answer to this. But going to throw it out there. I know we have to exercise to keep our muscle mass up, and lose fat not muscle. And I know that's why we need to be sure and get our 60 grams of Protein a day too. Does it make any difference if I have a pretty active job? I stand all day, and do some walking and lifting during my work day as well. So . . are you telling me when I get home with aching feet and tummy, I still should get on my treadmill or go outside for a walk. Can I retain my muscle mass just with exercise? Or does it have to be the "above a certain heart rate" kind of exercise? I know for overall health the exercise above a certain heart rate is better for you, and I'll get there eventually. Just still have a very sore tummy and wouldn't be ready for anything like that yet.

Getting your heart rate up is cardiovascular exercise, and is very very important - your heart is pretty much the most important muscle you have, next to your brain. Aerobic exercise does help burn calories, but not in the same way as building muscle.

Your active job does count, but probably not too much towards building muscle or getting your heart rate up. But you are moving, and therefore burning more calories per day than if you sat there typing all day like I do. :bored

I believe whatever muscle mass you currently have will be maintained as long as you provide your body with adequate protein/calories and continue to do the same amount of activity each day. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To attain best health you should do both - heart rate exercise and muscle building exercise. :) Says the ultimate couch potato... :)

So much beautiful, unapplied knowledge in this little brain of mine... I'm looking for the magic motivation gene. lol Where's Tony Robbins when you need him?!?!

Thanks Donali. lol. yep--all I need is a gorgeous personal trainer to show up at my door. ha--wouldn't my husband love that one . .

The active job helps but as I understand it yes you need the cardi exercise 5 days a week.Once you get started it isnt so bad. You kind of expect it and really if you dont get it you are not happy. I'm not anyway. I been doing this since 9/03. I have had week off here and there and sometimes dread going but I feel so much better. BP is perfect with a resting H.rate of 54BPM.

It was at 80 Bpm when I started. I hope I'm saving those beats up for the future!