Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three things that are driving me absolutely BATTY in these forums!!

I have participated in this forum for about 3 years and this probably about the 5th time I have seen threads very similar to this one. Most members of this forum have a lifecycle. I won't go into detial but,the join and begin their participation by asking questions. They soon become active members and start to get involved in many ways. At some point they become annoyed at the new members that are asking questions that now seem simple to them. Eventually they no longer have much interset in the board and they move on.

Usually this type of thread creates a controversy because it can offend new members. It is important to note that individuals learn and process information differently. Some people love to do volumes of research and others want to know what they need to know and they want to know it right now. Many people fall in the middle somewhere but it is unfair to condem anyone just because their learning style different or the knowledge of the topic is minimul.

Honestly I have grown to dislike threads that discuss how other people should approach their journey or what types of questions are stupid and which ones are not.

Conversley I probably took part in a similar thread as an agreable participant about 2 1/2 years ago.

Just my thoughts

TommyO

I don't know, Tommy, I think sometimes it is okay to expect a little common sense out of people. I've seen a post where someone was having chest pain and difficulty breathing and they posted on a message board asking what they should do.

Gee, you think 911 might be an option?

I understand newbie posts, but sheer stupidity is annoying.

As for offending people, this is R&R. It's gonna happen. If it is about religion, politics, stupid people, smart people, or unicorns, it's going to offend someone.

Nobody better say anything negative about unicorns!! Or I'm going home!!

(sorry for the hijack)

Stupidity is genetic, you can't blame someone for their stupidity. In my life I have met a lot of smart people who have done dumb things (Myself included)and I would agree that it can be irritating although most often it's just funny. Knowledge is learned but we are born with inteligence so you can't fault stupid.

I think the questions that bother me the most are the ones that could easily be answered simply by reading the FAQ threads.

I can honestly say I don't think I posted any "stupid questions" when I first began posting here and was considered a "newbie". I waited on someone else to do it.:smile2:

Tommy-O? Go back and read my original post again. I said nothing about questions from newbies. Of course someone new to this procedure is going to ask a lot of questions and mostly they're the questions we've all heard at least a dozen times over. That is perfectly normal, doesn't bother me and wasn't what I was ranting about. I was ranting about people who have been here for several months and should know better about some things by now. To summarise:

* People who label themselves as failures when they have lost weight at faster than or equal to the average rate. Negative thinking annoys me, especially when it is unjustified.

* People who are wanting their fourth, fifth or more fill (i.e. have been banded for at least several months), and say they are hungry yet in the same post demonstrate that they DO have restriction but are eating around the band. Those are the ones that are going to end up with slippage or erosion from keeping the band too tight and will say the band is a failure, when it is their own bad eating patterns.

* People who get caught up in the Protein, Protein, protein craze, as though they have had a bypass operation and suddenly need massive protein supplements. Actually - it is the doctors who push this that annoy me, can't blame people for following their doctor's advice.

Tommy-O? Go back and read my original post again. I said nothing about questions from newbies. Of course someone new to this procedure is going to ask a lot of questions and mostly they're the questions we've all heard at least a dozen times over. That is perfectly normal, doesn't bother me and wasn't what I was ranting about. I was ranting about people who have been here for several months and should know better about some things by now. To summarise:

* People who label themselves as failures when they have lost weight at faster than or equal to the average rate. Negative thinking annoys me, especially when it is unjustified.

* People who are wanting their fourth, fifth or more fill (i.e. have been banded for at least several months), and say they are hungry yet in the same post demonstrate that they DO have restriction but are eating around the band. Those are the ones that are going to end up with slippage or erosion from keeping the band too tight and will say the band is a failure, when it is their own bad eating patterns.

* People who get caught up in the Protein, Protein, protein craze, as though they have had a bypass operation and suddenly need massive protein supplements. Actually - it is the doctors who push this that annoy me, can't blame people for following their doctor's advice.

What do you consider "massive" to mean in the number of grams of protein consumed daily?

I believe the recommended intake of Protein for a woman is around 60-70g a day, and there is no reason why we can't get that intake from solid food once the healing phase is over. We are FAR better off eating this protein rather than drinking it - I see no need for Protein Shakes after the liquid/mushie phase.

I believe the recommended intake of Protein for a woman is around 60-70g a day, and there is no reason why we can't get that intake from solid food once the healing phase is over. We are FAR better off eating this Protein rather than drinking it - I see no need for protein shakes after the liquid/mushie phase.

I agree with the quantity of protein you list but Protein Shakes work quite well for some. If it doesn't work for you, kewl Beans. But I love them!

It's easy to grab a Protein shake when I'm in a hurry. I don't always have the time to chew the bandster way and when I don't want to deal with it, I use a shake in place of a meal.

Ahhh but you see, you're not one of those that says "I drank my three Protein shakes today (and ate nothing) but I'm still hungry! I think I need another fill!" :smile2: Nor have I seen you recommending people try for 100g or more of Protein a day.

To be honest though, I really disagree with the high protein/low carb diet. I think the balanced approach is far healthier.

Ahhh but you see, you're not one of those that says "I drank my three Protein shakes today (and ate nothing) but I'm still hungry! I think I need another fill!" :smile2: Nor have I seen you recommending people try for 100g or more of Protein a day.

To be honest though, I really disagree with the high protein/low carb diet. I think the balanced approach is far healthier.

We agree. HIGH protein holds no value and can actually cause harm long term.

I am not sure I could have had a protein shake in the beginning and been satisfied, not when I was dealing with head hunger issues, but I can do it now.

It used to be I had to feel "full" and now I'm good to go at "not hungry".

I don't disagree with low carb, to each his own and all that good stuff. Personally, I don't eat low carb, I eat no white carbs. But typically I have eaten all the veggie carbs I wanted within reason. Thing is, if you cut out all white carbs and eat unlimited veggie carbs, for the most part you are eating low carb in comparison to those that eat flour, rice, Pasta, etc.

Actually - it is the doctors who push this that annoy me, can't blame people for following their doctor's advice.

Speaking of things that doctors do that annoy me when I read about it here....

What is the deal suddenly with all these people whose doctors tell them to eat solid food as soon as possible? When I was in my intensive research phase, I constantly saw recommendations that would have you at the mushy stage at the 4-6 week period. Not one of the doctors who made my short list recommends doing it any fast. But now I see all these posts where people are completely skipping the mushy phase and are on solid food as early as the 1st week and it's their doctor's recommendation!

Did some new research I'm not aware of come out saying that eating food early doesn't cause slippage or erosion or are these doctors just pandering and selling their clients up the river when it comes to the long-term life of the band?

I agree with the quantity of Protein you list but Protein shakes work quite well for some. If it doesn't work for you, kewl Beans. But I love them!

It's easy to grab a protein shake when I'm in a hurry. I don't always have the time to chew the bandster way and when I don't want to deal with it, I use a shake in place of a meal.

Hi WASa, don't see you much! How are you? Good I hope. :biggrin2:

I agree with this post, I do drink a Protein Shake first thing in the morning after my decaff. It hits the spot and I always like to make sure I'm getting something for Breakfast. I get a bit hungry very early in the morning and there isn't alot of time for me to sit down and eat properly. Besides, this might sound weird, but I just LOVE the taste.

That being said, I don't really concentrate too much on all high protein, all low carbs. I just try to eat like a normal person, small portions and well balanced and staying mindful of your healthier options. Also, the shake does hold me for quite awhile. I'll usually drink it about 5:30 am and won't eat again until about 8:00, a banana - and then sometimes I don't even want that. Gotta have it though, I never miss my daily banana. :thumbup:

Also, I've been banded for about 3.5 months. I've lost ONLY 35.5 lbs. Woe is me! :thumbup:

Can we also add:

* People who are all excited when they are so tight they can "only eat 1-2 bites of food and their done" and the people who congratulate them?! lol. I see this a lot and it irritates the hell out of me. This isn't what the band is about and I can't believe some folks think its okay to starve themselves. They aren't learning to properly eat. Does their doctor okay this?

Fanny this board is way more fun since you arrived. I can let you say all the blunt things and get caned for it instead of me, roflmao!