Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's Potty Talk!!

I'm getting closer to my surgery date (may 19) and I have tons of questions. I have learned a lot from these boards but a subject that is not discussed much (for obvious reasons) are bathroom habits.

I'm curious as to how your BM's change after having surgery. Obviously you are eating less so you should be going less....right? What is the average number of times per day? Are you more constipated? Is there no change at all? I really would like to know what to expect in that department.

While we're on the subject, how about bladder control problems..Does that get better with the weight off?

Ok, I've done it and it wasn't as embarrasing to ask as I thought. Now let's see who's gutsy enough to answer.

:)

Ok, I'll bite!

It was a couple of days after surgery before I had a BM, but that was the liquid stage so nothing solid in nothing solid out. I had some diarrhea issues after banding, but I discovered it was due to being lactose intolerant. So I changed my Protein Shakes and started drinking lactose free milk and it got better. As long as I drink all my fluids I dont have any trouble with Constipation, but I never did pre band. The bladder leakage has lessened and I hope will continue to do so. Hope this helps!!

Teresa

Well I am drinking alot more liquids now so I find myself in the bathroom alot, but the BM's are less frequent.

I didn't have a BM for about 5 days after surgery. Then I continued to have issues for about a week or so after because of the pain meds (they can cause constipation). But now I"m back to normal.

Since I have been banded over a year, I constantly struggle with Constipation. My portions are so small, it's hard to get the fruits and

veggies in. I am supposed to eat Protein first and I have little room

left over for anything else.

I snack on fruit in between meals and put some Fiber in prune juice in the morning, as well as eat a high Fiber Cereal in the morning, but it's

an on going problem.

I would love to hear everyone else's suggestions. I have done the benefiber and it does nothing.

I had terrible Constipation problems the first two weeks after surgery, and then got caught in a two week cycle of bad to normal. The BMs were very small and I was always straining. The doc said 4 oz. of prune juice at bed time, and once I was on regular food, he put me on 3 - 4 PEELED grapefruit sections a day. this has worked best for me. I can't take metamucil or any of that crap, I double over with gas pain. Stool softeners are also an option. I don't recommend ex-lax or anything. If you get stuck in an emergency situation, Milk of Magnesia is another thing the doc suggested.

I'm getting closer to my surgery date (may 19) and I have tons of questions. I have learned a lot from these boards but a subject that is not discussed much (for obvious reasons) are bathroom habits.

I'm curious as to how your BM's change after having surgery. Obviously you are eating less so you should be going less....right? What is the average number of times per day? Are you more constipated? Is there no change at all? I really would like to know what to expect in that department.

While we're on the subject, how about bladder control problems..Does that get better with the weight off?

Ok, I've done it and it wasn't as embarrasing to ask as I thought. Now let's see who's gutsy enough to answer.

:thumbup:

First of all, congrats on your decision to have your band done, May 19 will be here before you know it. And I don't think that there are many topics that you can't ask/talk about on LBT - that is the beauty of this place, it's a fantastic place for information, support and general commadarie (sp).

Prior to surgery it wasn't uncommon for me to go 1-2 times a day, now I probably go once every 3 or 4 days, and I'm not constipated I just don't seem to have the need to go all that often (it's probably closer to 3 days than 4). After I had my surgery I didn't have diarhhea (sp) which some people say that they have (could be an anaesthetic reaction - I don't really have any bad reactions to anaesthetic) and some people get constipated. I didn't go for at least a week post surery and when I did it was just a "normal event" not "backed up" or anything. The occasional time where I may feel a bit constipated I generally know it is because I am not taking in enough water/liquids (I have a hard time drinking liquid in general - for some reason I just don't so I have to force myself too).

Can't help you with the other question as I don't have that issue but maybe someone else will provide some insight.

Best of luck on your journey!

I had a terrible costipation problem for a week or so after surgery, and finally resolved it with some M.O.M. Since then, I think I still go (BM) as frequently as I used to, I just don't go as much as I used to. Does that make sense?

I haven't been banded yet but I had a question about the urinary incontinence thing, too. Does it go away or get better at all? I have had 3 (yes I said 3) bladder slings and they have not gotten rid of the problem completely. I often wonder if it is because of the weight.

I'll reply to both parts. First of all, it's been a week since surgery, and i called my Dr. cause i hadn't had a bm since the previous week (about 8 days) he prescribed a liquid med for Constipation and I went that night (but not a weeks worth), now it's been another 4 days and nothing. i'll call again tomorrow, because I'm continuing to take the medicine with no effect.

As far as the incontinence, I've had issues since delivering the first of two very large babies. My dr. told me that it was more to do with the fat in my abdomen than child birth, and that's one of the first things his patients remark on is that their incontinence goes away. I can only hope that one day I will be able to sneeze without crossing my legs and hoping for the best.

The first week post op was pretty bad in terms of diarrhea. And um, so was the gas. So let's just say it was a surprise as to which you'd end up with.

Then everything has kind of progressed toward the other end of the spectrum. Yes, it can be anywhere from 4-6 days. Not especially pleasant, but not awful. Since I'm technically not supposed to be having fruits/veggies yet, I'm kind of limited in what I can have to, er, uh, *encourage* things. For now, I'm trying to go with Cheerios and oatmeal. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I picked up a thing of Miralax but I'm kind of afraid to use it (especially after that whole bowel cleansing adventure the night before surgery!).

As far as the bladder thing goes, I've never had huge incontinence issues (only minor ones), but I since I've not noticed any need to change underwear after laughing/sneezing/coughing fits, I suspect it might be improving! :)

HTH

-m

Post surgery and for about two weeks - mild constipation;used Milk of Magnesia (MOM) once or twice.

After the mushie's stage, things reverted to almost normal. Whereas I used to have a BM daily, it is now every two days or so but no Constipation or other issues. The physical body just hasn't accumulated the same amount of excrement because there is a lot less going in.

this is such a icky subject, but i'm glad there is a place like this we can discuss it. sounds like i'm opposite of just about everyone that has posted here. i'm 4 weeks out of surgery and have 2-3 watery bm's a day and very mild gas. its really bad, kinda like someone said, don't know what you're going to get. it's to the point that i don't want to leave the house. does anyone know if we can take anti diarrhea meds with the band? i know that acid reducers are a BIG no no, but what about anti diarrhea????

Ok. I am going to jump in on this subject...lol. I am approximately seven weeks out and I have Constipation issues. This last weekend I went out of town and was having this issue. My daughter and I went to the grocery store to by prune juice. Well, by the time we walked out we had grape juice, apple juice, prune juice, pom tea, and a bunch of fruit. You would of thought that I was thirsty.. hehehehe. I tried the pom tea first and ate my grapefruit, which I believed worked because I have been going regular ever since. Not sure if it was the tea or fruit, but I am going to continue to keep those two things in my diet.