Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Common Problem Foods

This is a very good idea this site.

meat is always tricky for me but everything else depends on when and how I eat it. If I'm stressed and not paying attention to what I'm eating ....OUCH.

Broccholi is not accepted by my band and I used to lOVE it...beleive it or not.

Also wet spinach...get's stuck every time.

Baked Potato chips

pretzels

Breaded chicken

Corn on cob eaten too fast

Soft bread as on a wrap

Toasted from Panera okay as long as eaten slowly

and only 1 half

Salmon ...even soft when eaten alone...tolerated better when mixed with a soft stuffing believe it or not!

Nuts when more than a handful is eaten

(This is after 3rd fill)

(sweet spot) :-)

thanks for tip on foods i should avoid, i/m waiting for a date to have surgery,i will need all advice i can get ty larry

how about swallowing meds i take these big ass 800 moltrins will i be able to get them down????larry

how about swallowing meds i take these big ass 800 moltrins will i be able to get them down????larry

I take big pills but they are potassium and dissolve.

First; check with your doc about the motrin. Many say DO NOT take NSAIDS (of which Motrin is one) because they are really harsh on the stomach and you don't want stomach trouble with the band. (you never "WANT" it, but you REALLY don't want it with the band)

Secondly if s/he approves, take 4 of the 200 motrins; that way you can take them singly or in pairs.

I'm getting stuck almost every day. I should get an un fill but thinking it's me. :laugh:

You do know that PB ing comes with the band but to do it daily is dangerous and you risk a slip? Maybe you meant you just feel uncomfortable and it goes through; but if you're getting stuck daily and vomiting it back, call your surgeon. You may need a SLIGHT (I mean slight, like .25 of a cc or less) unfill until you master the mechanics a little better.

I did that; it was smart of me. I hit good restriction in March 09, during the last 2 months of my senior year of nursing school. To say things were insane is an understatement. That was NOT the time to finally feel restriction! A small unfill; I graduated with band intact, and the day after my last final went and got the unfill replaced, plus a little more. YAY!

You don't need to suffer and you don't want to risk your band.

Hi Restless You and right and thank you for the good advice I am

starting to get very worried and I made an appt. I guess I'm resisting because I don't want to go back to being hungry all the time. I have however

gone on liquids all day yesterday and plan on doing it today as well. I don't think I gave my band a chance to heal and the swelling to subside. I'm not a very compliant person....way too much strict upbringing in school and home. I will see what 2-3 days of liquids do for me. Also when you are very tight you get stuck on healthy foods which could lead to going for the sliders like ice cream:scared2::wink:

I'm not a very compliant person....way too much strict upbringing in school and home.

I TOTALLY understand that "cut off your nose to spite your face" mentality! :wink: For years I refused to quit smoking because everyone agitated so much for me to do it. TV commercials, the doc, you name it. The more I was bombarded with "do not smoke!" info the more I smoked. BUT one day I finally had to realize that regardless, I didn't want to smoke. It was finally MY choice, and the reason wasn't because of any of that noise, either. (can you say hard-headed? LOL) That's why I always question band rules so that I can understand the rationale behind them. If it's solid, I do it, because it makes sense, not because I was "told" to. You may want to try that trick!

Shrimp is okay with me too as long as eaten slowly. Every thing else on the list is off limits for me as well..but you adapt.

I haven't tried a lot of those things since I was banded... but I have tried red meat- sort of. I'm too scared to swallow- so I'll just take a bite of my hubby's, chew until the flavor is gone, then spit it out! lol, I'm so pathetic! I miss red meat.

Sounds like a good idea! I have the same problem, I never know when it will stay down.

In my experience, steak and ground chuck are always a problem. The rest of the meats I can keep down most of the time, as long as I don't try to eat them with my first meal. Once my tummy wakes upm I'm usually ok. Hope that helps!

I have a realize band and these are my problem Foods:

any fish including shrimp

chicken breast, but legs okay

some breads

any kind of pretzels and pepperidge farm fish crackers

any food before noon

slurpees (weird isn't it?)

For me what I eat is not nearly as important as how I eat. As long as I take small bites and eat slow I have not had anything that I couldn't eat. That being said some things are just not worth the effort.

I am 14 mts post op and I have tried several times with no luck at all with chicken. And I can not eat bread at all.