Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Common Problem Foods

For some reason, the band gets tighter overnight. The band reacts to

hydration. Most people are tighter in the morning. They say it's because overnight, your body becomes slightly dehydrated.

I always start the day with a glass of warm Water. Warm things open the band.

Here is a list of common foods that can get stuck or cause problems. Some or all of these my effect you. This is only a short list. You will have to go through trial and error to discover if any of these foods you can tolerate. Just remember to chew, chew, chew your food really well.

1. Red meat such as steak, roast beef, and pork. Red meat is high in muscle Fiber, which is difficult to separate even with a great deal of chewing. Always be careful and chew well.

2. Dry meat.

3. Shrimp.

4. Untoasted bread or doughy breads.

5. Pasta.

6. Rice.

7. Peanut Butter.

8. Membrane of citrus fruits.

9. Seeds and skin of fruits and vegetables.

10. Dried fruits.

11. Fibrous vegetables such as corn, asparagus & celery.

12. Nuts.

13. Coconut.

14. popcorn.< /p>

15. Greasy or fried foods.

I have only tried Pasta, Peanut Butter, and some hot wings. These items went down okay before my second fill. I have had pasta since my second fill and it seems to do okay if I remember to chew well. I realize I should have skipped the hot wings, but they are my weakness. With this new fill, I will be avoiding fried foods.

Just a note on Fiber. Constipation may occur after surgery and is most often attributable to decreases intake of food, fiber, and fluids. In order to prevent constipation it is important to drink plenty of fluids. It is recommended to consume a minimum of 64 ounces daily. It may be helpful to try baby prunes or unsweetened prune juice. High fiber foods may slow down stomach emptying.

I've talked to you before in the chat room. You have no idea how much I APPRECIATE your input. As I've said before, I don't know anyone who has had this surgery and my doctor has not been very informative. I have my surgery on Monday aug 25. When I asked what does mushy food mean, he said anything you can get in a blender. After reading your article, at least I have some ideas of what to avoid at first. Thanks so much

I have a problem with not drinking with meals. I've always had that habit, and I'm finding it hard to break it. I try just a sip or two. Any suggestions?

What I have to do (Because I have been used to sucking down several glasses of liquids during my meals since I was little) is to ask for a "to go cup" (if out) and get it withOUT a straw. That way if I pick it up by accident, there being no straw reminds me.

If I am at home, I just do not put a drink around me while I eat........

Good luck.........

I have a problem with not drinking with meals. I've always had that habit, and I'm finding it hard to break it. I try just a sip or two. Any suggestions?

I had the same problem but I forced myself to change my habits. It was hard but it can be done

I think this is the hardest thing for me to do. It seems like I am so thirsty when I eat, I try to wait 30 mins like advised but sometimes I snitch a small drink before that time.

jazie

I too can eat everything on that list. Some days I feel like I do not even have a band in.

I have had a really hard time getting enough Fiber in. I've been told to take benefiber. It's an odorless clear fiber you can put in almost everything.

I am Post op day 3 (newbie), How do you know if something gets stuck and what do you do about it? do you have to go to the DR.?

You will know. It feels like something is stuck in your esophagus

and won't go down. You don't have to go to the dr. It usually comes back up.

by the way, I can eat all of the foods on that list with no trouble.

I've found that eggs are the worst for me no matter how they are cooked, I get blocked no matter what when I eat them. I have to get my heart rate up and pumping hard for the rest of my body to go into action and push the food through my lapband. It could be a couple days before I stop sliming when I'm blocked but walking does do wonders when you're blocked. Get the heart rate up.

I am the same way. In the mornings I can't hardly eat anything, but by the evening I can eat anything, rice, Pasta, u name it I can eat it.

Since my last fill (4th one), I just started having the major problems with food getting stuck and not going down! It's mainly the foods that you are not supposed to eat anyway so I really pay for it when I do try to eat them or eat too fast or not chew enough!! Own stupidity, I guess!!! Anyway, I throw up violently (sometimes for hours) on just a little bit of stuck food!!! So, like I said, better to stay away from it than to be sick!!! Common sense, I guess!!! Been banded a year now and have lost 85 pounds (15 more to go) and feeling great so stick with it!!!

The only problem foods I have run across (for me, everyone's different) is flour tortillas (corn is fine), white bread and baked chicken. And fizzy sodas.