Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking Out Over "I'm Not Losing" Posts

I just wanted to add my "Amen" to most of what has been said here. I am very pleased with my band. I am about 2 1/2 months out and have lost about 50 lbs. (13 lbs were pre-op) I can't complain about that. I am losing on average now 8-10 lbs a month, which is what my doctor says is safe. I work out at Curves 5-6 times a week, both doing strengh training and aerobics. I track everything I eat on "thedailyplate.com", even the occasional dip of ice cream or sherbert and the occasional Hershey Kisses. I average between 1,000 and 1,200 calories per day. I don't feel like I have given up anything important. I can have an occasional bite of something special as long as I log it in.

I find that I enjoy eating much more now because I am actually taking time to enjoy the flavors of the food I am eating and not wasting time on empty calories. I have more energy because I am not lugging a 50 lb sack of flour on my back all the time now (figuratively speaking)

If you are going into this journey thinking that it is going to be a quick fix for years of bad habits, you had better do some more research. If you go into it knowing that it is going to be hard work and a life-long process, you will probably be very successful.

Do I miss some of my "favorite foods", yes, sometimes. Do I regret getting the band? Absolutely not. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I am not craving foods like I did before because I am not eating the high sugar, high carb foods that make me crave more. It helps keep me focused on what is important, my health. I wish it had been available to me when I was in my twenties or thirties but then, maybe then I wasn't ready to do the work required. I'm just glad I have it now.

The best of luck to you!:cool2:

I've lost 50 pounds in 5 months. I'm doing fine, but I lose in stair steps. 2 -3 weeks and the scale doesn't move, then WHAM 4 pounds gone. this has happened several times. It's discouraging, but it seems to be my way of losing weight and I have to accept that. I'm still losing, just not the way I had in mind. Everyone is different. Be patient and diligent at the same time.

One thing that was not mentioned, is sometimes right after surgery or any "diet" your body will go into a little "shock" or resistance. It has been so used to you giving it CALORIES and now all of a sudden it is getting nothing or near nothing, so the body's natural response it to try to store up all those calories, but you will begin to see a difference.

As for me it was a very slow start - I was frustrated. I didn't have the luck like some people have where they loose 20-30lbs the first two months. However now that my body is adjusted my weight is comming off steady. It comes off a bit faster w/ exercise too.

I am averaging about 5-6lbs a month sometimes more dependent on my activities. 5lbs does not seem like much, but it is healthy.

Remember to not to compare your loss w/ other forms of WLS surgery.

I was banded January 21st. I have only lost 30 pounds . I cannot afford an adjustment as my surgeon told me he had a link where I could get them for $150. yah right. Try $450 plus fees for the flouroscopy of $200. I wish I had gotten the gastric sleeve. I feel cheated and that Iwasted $8,000 of my own money.

30lbs since Jan 21st with no fill, right after surgery sounds great to me! That's 15 weeks (right?) at 2lbs/week without ever having fill. I think that you're supposed to consider a slight unfill or diet adjustment (more calories) for weight loss greater than 3lbs/week because it really shouldn't be that fast.

Too bad on the fill doctor info. Maybe contact the surgeon and ask him for another recommendation? Maybe go to your local weight loss clinic for fills? Don't know what to tell you on that one...

The key word, m'dear, is "DISCIPLINE". People who don't study the whole banding process and follow the rules simply don't lose.

This tool assists with Portion Control only: YOU are the one who has to make the decision as to what to put in your body (there ARE few foods that won't go, but chocolate, ice cream, and nuts are not them!) and whether to exercise. I've always found that exercise is a great reliever of stress, a great boost to the ego--so I absolutely LOVE exercise.

And what aubrie said is totally true: I just had 18 days of no change whatsoever on the scales--not even 1/10 of a pound. Did I get discouraged and eat my way through a gallon of ice cream? No, you have to have the DISCIPLINE to be patient and then your weight will drop suddenly.

Good luck in your decision...:frown:

I apologize if I offended anyone when I said "I didn't have the luck like others..." I was not infering that others were not putting in hard work, however meaning even though I was my body would not loose, it was very resistance and in shock for the first couple of months.

Maybe a poor choice of words.

its not the easy way at all ...i have insulin resistance and every lbs is a struggle ive lost 10 lbs and its been 2 months but i am not starving myself either..

hi there, just wanted to put in my two cents worth. I was banded 6 almost 7 years ago, lost 99lb - 45kgs and have been on maintenance for 4.5hrs.

I found it easy in the start but then i stopped losing so i stated exercising and lost weight. If you are willing to make the change you wil lose the weight it is that simple. People do eat around the band and they dont exercise and then wonder why they dont lose weight, i don't mean to be harsh but if your not going to do it properly you cant expect results.

The most important thing with the band is going to the Dr regularly for fills and weigh in's. I'm still getting fills on occasion, though they are very small and i see my doctor every few months to check im keeping the weight under control, the band isnt something you can just let go once you have lost the weight.

I know the band has complications but in reality if you have no complications with the band and aren't able to lose weight your not doing what you should be doing, exercise and eat right... don't get me wrong i know plateau's exist and they suck!

Anywho, if you are willing to make changes then you will lose the weight :-) and keep it off, it can be hard if you have medication or illness that causes weight gain though

Bel