Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slippage w/ dilated esophagus & hiatul hernia

Today I found out I have a "mild displacement" of my band. I also have a hernia of the Esophageal hiatus as well as dilation of the esophagus.:smile:

I have been peeping in and out of LBT but never really participated in any discussions. Now I wish I would have made time to read more post and what to watch for.

I didn't realize being too tight can cause these complications, until I read several posting about slippage tonight.

My current events ~~~~~~~

I have been too tight since Aug, but pushed through the symptoms (gastric reflux and pain w/ certain foods, PB) - I have a lot of toleration for pain. I Slowed down w/ weight loss so in Nov, I had more fill of .2cc - to bring me to 2.3cc in a 5cc band. In Dec had the .2cc removed to see if it would help the reflux. It did midly, but I gained 10lbs over Christmas (bad food choices, even though there were some mild restrictions & but no exercise ) Jan I had .1cc added back and 4 weeks later .1 added again to bring me back to what he orginally gave me in Nov.

I loved it because it restricted me well, but I would have slimming, PB and vomited a couple of times - 4 times in 2 months. I was trying to "tough" it out knowing I would get used to it, but it was difficult to eat and drink. I had a 20lb wt loss in 2 months.

Finally about 3 weeks ago I woke up in the night had coffee ground emesis - it tested positive for blood, & I began taking aciphex that day. All symptoms and problems completely stopped, and 6 days later I saw my suregon who removed the .2cc from my band to see if that would help, but also to schedule a GI swallow.

Well I had my swallow last week, and today was told I have a slippage w/ dilated esophagus & hiatul hernia.

So I have been a little bummed out and really afraid that I will gain some weight back. There is a reason I have this tool, and am not ready to be completly w/ out restriciton, but I have to really try hard to at least maintain and not gain.

I am concerned I may need surgery, but because I have a small band(5cc) it could be a good thing to get a new one, that way there is less chance of the same problems.

I will f/u with a brrium swallow in 2 weeks to see if there is improvement and then we will go from there. He said my pouch is "genrerous" but not bad and the slippage is mild. The dilation of the esophagus is mostlikely due to being over tight and obstruction and he hopes and thinks w/ time it will shrink down as long as I am not too tight.

As for the Hernia there are a couple of options surgery or no surgery, but not all hernias need repair. I have heard from my friend that her father who is a chiropractor reduces these types of hernias, but when I told that to my doctor he gave me that weird look (you know the anti-chiropractor look) but said if I wanted to try he didn't think it would be contraindicated in me just because I am banded.

My surgery was paid for by my prior insurance, but now I have another insuance who is not contracted w/ this doctor, and i have been cash paying for the fills. I am wondering if I do need surgery how they will look at this and if they would approve him removing and replacing the band, or if I would have to go to another doctor. They do have him contracted for other general surgeries, but not for barriatric. They are contracted w/ another barriatric surgeon in town, but he does not do lap band and I choose LB for a reason.

Today I come to realize I think this is of my own doing :lol: and I am upset that I didn't realize it and seek medical attention when I was too tight.

I am just 50lbs to goal, and don't want this to stop me!

Any support or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks for reading I know my long was long.

I found out today that I have a small slip too. Have had all my fill taken out and am waiting to see my surgeon on Monday for some more instruction. Unlike you I had only had symptoms for a matter of days and am hoping I have caught it in enough time for it to resolve itself.

I totally understand how you are feeling right now - its very scary thinking about gaining weight or losing my band :smile:

After reading all I have on here the "tale - tale" signs were there, so part of me wants to be frustrated and blame my doctor for not listening to my "reflux" complaints sooner. But again he didn't think I orginally had a slippage because I was able to eat and drink.

I know better for the next time around thats for sure. And I won't go as tight and push it.

I didn't really think I could have a slip myself, I mean I thought about it, but I'm a paranoid person by nature so I just though i was being paranoid because the only symptom I had was the reflux and a few PBs in the space of a few days (which NEVER happens for me). I was eating normally before that and felt fine. I guess thats why I went to see my Dr because I knew something just wasn't right. The reflux came on so suddenly and was SO bad so quickly.

Lets hope we can both get this sorted out!

I have peace today. Yes I am still concerned, but peace all will be well not matter what the oucome is.

I am keeping to liquids/protein shakes and some mushies for those hungry moments.

I don't know if it is in my mind or not, but I feel like there is some little "pain" in my stomach area. Waiting for a call to find out when I will be scheduled for my upper GI.

On another note, I was reading your weight loss and surgery date and WOW - I had my surgery close ot you - Nov 20 of 06 :cool2:) - Great job on your weight loss - I have lost 93lbs so far from surgery.

Edited by XX BeGone

I feel a bit more at peace with it all today too! I feel like I have processed it a bit more. Each moment from here on in is a choice and I have a choice to make the right decisions and be positive and hope for the best. Playing the "what if" game is going to get me no where.

Thanks for your compliments, you've done great too!

You are exactly right - each day is a choice, and a choice to make the right decision.

I think I learned a whole lot and looking back, I will be doing things much differently.

This morning I thought if I need surgery, Maybe I can have it Thursday 23rd before Memorial day, that way I only have to use 2 days of my PTO and have that Monday paid off because it is a holiday. Thats what I did for my first surgery. I will be calling my surgeons office to see if we can pre-schedule now, and call my PCP to also get a preauthorization going for the "just in case" I need surgery.

The other econcern is I am going on a mission trip to Spain June 19th - July 2nd, and would like to be post op several weeks - month before I fly. I don't feel comfortable going to another contry just 2 weeks postop. And I don't know if waiting until I get back in July would be wise either.

the only symptom I had was the reflux and a few PBs in the space of a few days (which NEVER happens for me). I was eating normally before that and felt fine.

How are you feeling now? I have not had any pains/refulx for over 2 weeks after I started AciPhex, and that was before I got my unfill. I also hadn't had any blockage or difficulty getting food down when they released .2cc from my band.

BUT yesterday and this moring (day after the unfill) I "think" I feel something in my stomach - it's not really a pain, but kind of like an ache - on a scale of 1 - 10 I would rate this like a .25 - It is more of feeling of something very small, dosen't hurt but a tiny ache, or as if a muscle is slightly used and you can feel it. Maybe it is all in my head, or maybe it is working its way back into place.

My son was trying to horse around w/ me last night and I was so cautious to not rough house because "just in case." We usually restle and play around, but I don't know if I will ever do that again :thumbup:

I feel great - my reflux is totally gone and I've not PBed. I think because I've had this complication I have become hyper aware of anything going on in my stomach - even gas has started me worrying in the last few days! I don't think a 0.25 is anything to worry about but maybe you could see your Dr for a piece of mind if you are concerned.

I posted this on my blog and couple of other threads too..

My surgeon looked at the films from my barium swallow and said "its not catastrophic", (his words) and that it is REALLY likely that it just slipped a small amount from the reflux and few vomiting episodes that with no fill for a few weeks, it will settle and then I will be able to have some fill put back in gradually. But not as much as I had, of course. He said we'd start with 4 or 5 mls and then build up to maybe 6 or 6.5mls in my 10ml band. He offered to put some back in today and I told him that I'd rather wait a couple of weeks and let the swelling go down to be safe rather than sorry. He said that was a good choice. I'm also going to continue the Nexium on his advice until I go back on the 19th for my fill so that helps settle my stomach too. I asked him if I should be doing liquids, he said no, just normal foods, but make sure I chew them well so I don't vomit. He repeated again that it was not anything to be concerned about because its only ever so slightly slipped and in a couple of weeks he is certain it will go back to where it should be.

I feel SO releived.

He did say that the registrar at the hospital should have told me that it was a very minor slip and was almost certainly reversible with time and a looser band for a while. Shame he didn't, then I wouldn't have been so worried about everything.

Well my band is fine. I had my fluro and the only thing out of the ordinary was slow mobility of the barim Fluid. I did not really understand what could cause this except stress. I had an ultrasound to rule out gall bladder problems and am hoping to find out the results Fri. I just ate some bean Soup mushed up and my stomach is very sore. I will keep you all posted.

:smile2: WOOOHOOO - I just picked up my report and CD of fluro from the radiologist and the f/u GI showed that that band was in place, no dilation and no evidence of hernia.

This radiologist did my films a bit different then the last rad, this one did it all standing up and filmed each time I swallowed and tracked it as it went down. The other had me do all different kinds of positions. Part of me wants to doubt, but I am keeping faith that this is Gods answer, because I am going on a mission trip to Spain next month and would have had to cancel if I was going to need surgery.

I still have to see my surgeon for the "final" answer and get his interp of the report and films, but for now I see this as a negative.

I update after I see him to see how we handle the fills.

OH and not weight gain either!! For 2 weeks no fill & total of 30+ days I have had very little restriction. :tongue2:

Thanks fantastic news! You must feel INCREDIBLY releived!

I hope I am as lucky as you, I have to wait until next monday to see my Surgeon.

Hi All-

Yesterday I had my band removed and a new one put in due to slippage. The pain and vomiting (sorry) was not nice. I have lost 118 pounds and am two years out this August and do not understand what happened. The surgeon put in a 10cc band where before I had a 4cc. I am down 118 pounds to 170 and only want to loose about 5 more. My highest weight the day of the surgery was 288.6. I am confused as to why this happened after two years. Oh well, be well all.

Fran

I just found out my band was not slipped. It is my gallbladder. Amazing how much alike the pain was to when I did not chew my food up well enough and it would get stuck going down through my band. Anyways I am having my gallbladder out Mon. 5/19 by the same doctor who inserted my Lap band, which makes me feel alot better.

Chris

Thanks fantastic news! You must feel INCREDIBLY releived!

I hope I am as lucky as you, I have to wait until next monday to see my Surgeon.

I will be looking forward to hearing your good news too. I will be praying for that excellent report for you.

Yes I do feel releived but in a different way - I wasn't really worried about the potential surgery, but was more frustrated that I went so long w/ my symptoms and caused this mess.

I won't see my surgeon until next Wed, so I will post his response then.

Keep us informed as well.