Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do until fill????

It's day 17 for me and I have moved from the mushies to anything I mash to applesauce consistency. What a huge difference this has made. I no longer feel like I'm starving. I've had baked fish, a baked potato with fat-free sour cream, bacon bits, cheese and chives, I had cheesy potatoes with tiny bits of ham, calico Beans with bits of bacon, oh, the world seems wonderful again. I don't get hungry so quickly, am not stuck with Soups and puddings and don't have to strain everything anymore. I don't get my first fill until May 28, but now I know I'll make it until then. :thumbup:

Thank you...It is pretty funny! My doctor laughs at me also. I have 2 teens and a 4yr old and they are eating pizza(smell drives me) and chocolate and everything I love. I have to remember that just bc my eating habits have changed everyone around me is still the same. I need to learn to go shopping or something during these really hard times. Knowing me I will change from over eating to over spending. lol Today is a new Day! I will be o.k until Wednesday 5/7 first fill and then 2nd fill will be on 5/21. It's funny how I look forward to the first fill but it also gives me so much anxiety (pain, needles WHAT). The very thought makes my blood pressure rise. lol Have a wonderful Day!

I was banded 4/7 and have the same thing. I think I can controle the quality of what I am eating but I am getting more and more hungry. For lunch I had turkey Chili but I had an 12oz serving with a slice of bread. A few weeks ago I could only eat 4oz... its still not that bad for you and packed with Protein but still seams like allot. How much is everyone eating?

I'm sooooo glad to see this post. I don't get my first fill until May 9th. I've been banded since April 3rd. I'm hungry, stressed, angry, frustrated and upset. I'm starving! I refuse to eat more than I am supposed to, but I'm feeling the emotional effects. Also, I've not lost weeight in a week! I'm really not a happy camper.

8 days out for me and today I really experienced what y'all are talking about. I haven't been able to get full all day. I HATE seeing the scale go UP but I hate being hungry all day too. I'm still on full liquids and will be until next Thursday. I have Protein Shakes that have a whopping 35g of Protein. I thought that was suppose to make me feel full longer. I don't think so. I'm ready for at least mushies!!

I got my band 3/11/08 from Dr. Michael Wood From ABMI at detroit medical center. I was going to get my first fill today 6 weeks post op and my Dr called and told me he has a new policy and will only be doing fills once a month and so don't come in till may 31. I will be 10 weeks post op this dosn't sound right. I've lost 38 pounds since I was banded but I'm getting hungry and eating more. I called my Dr. and he told me to have will power:cursing::party::cursing:. My surgury was $27000.00 since he got paid I feel he is blowing me off what should I do. I don't want to take a step backwardmad.gif

user_online.gifreputation.gif report.gif digg.gif delicious.gif technorati.gif furl.gif

progress.gifedit.gif

try the campbels bean Soup, in the tetra pack.

its about 2 cups worth, try 1 cup 80 cal, and it will fill you up. also try to get some exercise and track your food. this has helped me get through the first 9 weeks.

good luck

Oh Medge I would be FURIOUS!!!! I would call and ask to speak with the office manager, doctor or even if the doctor is governed by the hospital I would call the CEO. That is crazy! ESPECIALLY since you've paid THAT much! As far as I can tell across the board, 6 weeks is the max before they will do it. Putting you out ten weeks is unacceptable. I can understand his issue of wanting to only do fills once a month but he should at least get the 1st fills in and then go from there.

Goodluck!

Your post resembles one I made a week ago almost identically in this forum ("One Month Post Op - Need a Fill"). Three weeks post-op and I had no restriction at all. I actually gained a few pounds back but the doctor said that was 'normal' and not to worry about it. Just eat in moderation and keep exercising. You may plateau but you'll be fine after a fill.

ErikMesa :frown:

Yes, I was banded April 25 and a hiatal hernia fixed too. I only had pain once and that was below my diaphragm, probably because I ate too much. My shoulder however has hurt for over a week. I would check out why you are in pain.

For those of you recent post-op's, call your doctor or nurse. You can have blended foods quicker than you are told. Just check with them. You will gain a few pounds, but you will find your sanity again. Just don't overdo! Listen to your stomach's cues. Don't overeat!

OMG I'm hungry too!! I have complained of this since a few days after surgery. My doctor won't give fills until the 6 week appt either. I just got back from seeing the dietician, and she is sympathetic, but cannot allow me to advance to solids for fear of stretching the 'pouch' above the band. She is allowing me to increase my calories from 600-800 to 1000-1200. Thank goodness. Maybe that will help me. I too am becoming irritable.

This my dear friends....must be BANDSTER HELL!!!

~C

I was just reading your post and wondered about your comment about stretching the pouch. I too have been battling hunger and have pushed the limits. I was banded Jan 17/08 but then we went south to Louisiana and Texas (I live in Canada) and the fills were too expensive and doctors in the US are not trained on the midband that I have so I went with no fills for 7 weeks. I had restriction at first but then could eat what I wanted and did. I am worried that I stretched my pouch. Then what happens?

Lynda

:)

Lynda,

Well, while you're healing, it's important to follow your doctor's rules. Every doc has different rules though, so that makes this tricky. They explained it to me that the area above the band is vulnerable to stretching while we are "swollen" from surgery. We are still learning how to eat proper portion sizes, not drinking with meals, no carbonation and the like. All those things can stretch the pouch. If we overeat regularly, we can slowly stretch it.

I am not an experienced bandster of course, but I was told that if I have any signs of having trouble swallowing liquid to notify them right away. That would be a sign that the pouch is stretched. I'm sure there are other signs that I'm not fully aware of. I know you don't want to be vomiting!

If you have not been filled yet, it's unlikely you've stretched your pouch. We have no restriction at this time, nothing to stop you from overeating (other than the initial swelling post op). I'd be very careful after you start getting fills about closely watching your portion sizes!

If you're worried, call your doctor. Are you back in Canada where you can see him/her? It's always good to have peace of mind!

~C