Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FINALLY I have my date

I finally have my date Yehaaaaaa. :smile2: I attended a seminar way back in October (feels like years ago) and I was convinced that the band was right for me. I had to wait for my insurance to kick in and that doesn't happen until June 21 so I am doing all the pre op things at this stage and have been booked in for the op on the 26th June. I can't come soon enough. I feel about the lowest I have ever felt about my weight. It seems to have skyrocketed in the last few months.

My surgeon Dr Cox asked if I had always been overweight and what I had tried.

I told him I had been dieting since I was 12 with everything I could find. shakes, grapefruit, weightwatchers, xenical, duromine, cabbage Soup.< /p>

I told him what happened and the best way I could explain it was that I could diet and lose weight but then something clicks in my head and bang it all goes on again. The best way to describe it is like an alcoholic who has given up - they cannot just have one drink the go on a bender. I am the same way with food - last year I lost 18kg with weight watchers but at my daughters 21st I though OK I think I look alright now and started eating a bit too much and before I knew it I just couldn't get enough and I am now 25kgs heavier. HOPEFULLY this tool will help me control this as I shouldn't be able to overeat

Hi Boo Boo,

Thanks for the congrats. I am so so so sure it will be worth the weight. You have done soooooooo well - any secrets I should know. I guess as I begin my journey I will learn along the way. I am sure it is really hard work but I am looking forward to a rewarding challenge.

Debz

Edited by debz62
forgot to add name

Hi Too Cheeky,

Not long now until your appointment. I couldn't wait to see my surgeon. I am just so sick of feeling like s**t all the time. I am tired and my self esteem is zero. I know its going to be a challenge but hopefully this is the tool to help me achieve becoming a different person.

Debz

Hey Deb, great news. Your dieting history sounds so similar to many people's (including mine). Best wishes to you on your journey - and please ask any questions, etc. The people here are so helpful, and we can all learn from each others' experience.

Edited by Luscious

Thanks Luscious,

Cool name. Congrats on just getting banded. How's it going? I was just in the chat room and am feeling a little disappointed. One lady has been put off because they have discovered she has a hiatus hernia and it needs to be done before she can have the band fitted. I have a hernia but my surgeon hasn't mentioned anything about that at the moment. I have had all my bloods done and the ecg and have a appointment with the dietician in couple of weeks, I cannot afford to be put off. I feel so depressed about my weight I don't know what I wwill di if it can't be done.

Deb

Edited by debz62
sfdfca

this site has been really helpful for me. i found it several weeks before i was done and it was great to have alll the nitty gritty.

im at day 8 ... and still feeling miserable. no real pain now just discomfort but ive been cold/shakey/depressed/exhausted/nauseous/diahorrea just not feeling right. i had appt today and they said i should have rung earlier. they were so kind i felt glad i had mentioned my discomfort instead of suffering in misery. i was in tears, but now i feel better just telling them and knowing they cared. After checking that my wounds are clean, though quite bruised, they said i have a bit of a bug which could have been passed on by someone with a cold/or upset tummy or some similar thing, and i caught it as its natural to have low immunity straight after surgery.

anwyay the answer is to rest rest rest and just do nothing. not difficult as i havent been able to concentrate on a book or telly, obviously i picked the right dr as they were so kind.

i was probably also a bit optmistic expecting to feel better in 7 days. some people are, but not everyone. anyway.. im sure ill will be fine, just take it easy a little longer.

thanks for listening!

Hi Deb, I guess you just have to push on and hope that it all goes to schedule. This is not always a fast process, so some element of patience needs to be practised (very hard for me - I'm so impatient). If the hernia needs to be done first, then cross that bridge when you come to it. Just know that the banding will happen.

Poor Judy (Jet) has had a hard time of it. I'm glad that you reached out to your doctor today, and I'm sure you will start feeling better soon.

For Deb, my banding experience has been quite smooth. I had my surgery on 7th April and I've already had great improvement to my blood sugar levels (type 2 diabetic) and weight has been dropping off. Of course I expect that to slow down - my large weight loss has been because I've been able to halve my medications, and controlled blood sugars - I'm very happy.

I have no restriction right now - and have already been allowed onto soft foods. Am scheduled for first fill next Tuesday - but still have a minor infection in my port incision - healing slowly, so might have to have the fill deferred. But I'm not really hungry, so I should be able to cope.

Hang in there girls !!

Edited by Luscious

Hi Luscious,

Thanks for the support - I am going to ring the surgery on Monday and mention that I have been told I have a hernia just in case I need to have an extra test done to speed things up. Will keep you up to date as my journey continues.

Jet sorry to hear your journey so far has not been a positive one but I am sure you are probably over the worst now and things will start getting better. Let us know how you are going.

Debz

Debz I hope your hernia doesn't hold anything up! I am glad the 9th is nearly here I have been going crazy waiting. :frown:

Judy I hope oyu start feeling better soon.

Luscious wow sounds like you are doing so well! WTG.

Edited by toocheeky

Thanks Luscious,

Cool name. Congrats on just getting banded. How's it going? I was just in the chat room and am feeling a little disappointed. One lady has been put off because they have discovered she has a hiatus hernia and it needs to be done before she can have the band fitted. I have a hernia but my surgeon hasn't mentioned anything about that at the moment.

Deb

Welcome to the forums Deb. I had an incisional hernia and the surgeon still operated and he decided to leave the hernia for now. I know that a number of people here also had their hernia's repaired when they had the band put in so maybe it all depends upon the type of hernia and it's placement.

It is already May so I iamgine it will be the end of June and surgery time before you know it! :rolleyes:

Hi mss,

I rang the surgery on Monday and my doctor is away but I faxed through my last endoscopy results and the RN is going to see that he gets them on his return. She advised em to still go ahead as scheduled unless I hear anything sooner so I have had my bloods etc done - been to the GP for my medical - have my dietician appointment on 26th May and I think my doc gets back on the 20th so until he tells me differently I am hoping and praying it will still go ahead as scheduled.

This site is absolutely marvellous and I have had some awesome support already. Its a huge journey all the better shared.

Deb

Hi mss,

I rang the surgery on Monday and my doctor is away but I faxed through my last endoscopy results and the RN is going to see that he gets them on his return. She advised em to still go ahead as scheduled unless I hear anything sooner so I have had my bloods etc done - been to the GP for my medical - have my dietician appointment on 26th May and I think my doc gets back on the 20th so until he tells me differently I am hoping and praying it will still go ahead as scheduled.

This site is absolutely marvellous and I have had some awesome support already. Its a huge journey all the better shared.

Deb

Hi, I had my surgery last week and the doctor found that I had a hiatus hernia. He just said he repaired it and all is fine. I have no way of telling if this has affected my recovery or not but will see the dietician tomorrow and hopefully can move to mushy food. Don't worry. These surgeons are very adept at what they do so I am sure you will be ok and get and extra op at the same time. No more reflux either!