Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yucky taste in mouth, and horrible breath!

OK I"m gagging myself, and my tongue is all white and nasty. What can I do to help the breath? I don't wanna do gum, what helps? And when does this go away? I'm like a fanatic about fresh breath and this is driving me nuts, even my 4 yr old. was like MOM seriously!

Does your tongue hurt at all? Maybe feels kinda raw? If so, you might have a yeast infection in your mouth (aka thrush). That would explain the thick white coating on your tongue. It is easy to get rid of, when I get it (from antibiotics) I have my doc call me in a Diflucan pill. It is a pill (only one) for yeast infections and it starts working within 24hrs. It usually clears it completely (for me) in 24hrs. There is other options you can try, eating yogurt, or there is a special mouthwash, or you can just gargle with peroxide (yuck it foams up and is nasty I personally hate doing it). These methods take longer to work than the Diflucan pill though. If it is not thrush, and just bad breath, there is an over the counter breath aid in the toothpaste section at any store and it comes in several forms. Personally I would check with your pcp (especially if you have recently been on antibiotics) he/she may want to see you in office before they perscribe the pill, but if you had been recently they would probably call it in for you an not make you come in. The reason I would go to the pcp and not the dentist is because the dentist for some reason cannot or doesn't want to percribe the pill and most dentists don't know that this little pill exists. Hope this helps!

IMHO, it sounds like ketosis to me, I went through it and my husband did too in the weeks proceeding our surgeries (pre-op diet) and post surgery (post op diet) and yes breathe is horrid. we neither one wanted to be near the other as both of us had stinky bad breath brought on by the sudden diet change. mostly liquids in pre-op and liquids post op

good luck know that it does go away but you may want to see your pcp to rule out anything else.

It definitly sounds like an ketosos which is an awesome thing--your body normally burns food for energy but now it is burning stored fat for energy and the only way it can secrete the keytones is in breath saliva and urine. So you don't really want to stop it--from all I've read even mints and gum won't mask it for long at all, You are very lucky even if it may not seem that way----I'm envious

OK I"m gagging myself, and my tongue is all white and nasty. What can I do to help the breath? I don't wanna do gum, what helps? And when does this go away? I'm like a fanatic about fresh breath and this is driving me nuts, even my 4 yr old. was like MOM seriously!

If you're recently banded it is possibly thrush - that's what happened to me. I didn't recognize it right away, but I had diarrhea and smelly urine, too. I could taste it going down, too - really, really yucky.

It happens because the massive antibiotics you get before/during surgery knock out some of the bacteria that live on you all the time and the yeast that live on you take over.

My band surgeon gave me a prescription over the phone, but that may have been because I sounded like I knew what I was talking about and it was a holiday week (between Christmas and New Year's). I started with Diflucan but my primary care doc gave me a mouth rinse that worked better - very quick, just a couple days treatment.

I had ketosis during the pre-op Medifast required by my doc - thrush felt a lot different.