Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Intense pain in left shoulder, still gas?

:smile:Thanks Vid, that does help. It gives me hope that it will go away and not that I'd wish this on anyone but it makes me feel better that I'm not alone in this.

Question, I had my gallblader taken out about 6 months ago and didnt get that gas pain. So does that mean, I have a good chance of not having that gas and pain from the lap band surgery?

no one can say for sure....there is ALOT of manipulation around the nerve bundle and diaphragm when they place the lapband. Just know most of the time it goes away....I only get it now if I eat too much or get too hungry. (It kind of reminds me, like my own little coach!)

For the most part my pain has gone away except at night. All night my shoulder kills me unless I sit up.

I can completely relate! I was banded on April 16th and still have horrible pain in my left shoulder at night. It hurts so much that I have laid awake for hours thinking about either laying on a tennis ball to work out what feels like a giant knot that's on fire, or either having a doctor insert a syringe into the part that hurts and sucking out whatever gas in left in my shoulder. Does that sound freakishly weird or what? :lol: :w00t: :w00t:

I had extreme pain as well, way after the gas had worked its way out. I was miserable for 4-5 weeks. Really it felt like I got kicked by a horse in the juncture between my neck and left shoulder. Towards the end it got less and now it is gone completely.

I spoke with the doctor and she did refer to the pain coming from work done around the diaphragm. I also had a hiatal hernia repair fixed at the same time. Only time helped. I also found that a bath helped to take the edge off. I would only run enough Water to cover my neck and shoulder area but not wet incision sites. I took it as hot as possible and it really helped. My husband also tried to help with massage. Massage didn't make the pain go away but was enjoyable none-the-less.

After the major pain went away, I noticed I still had slight residual pain that would appear when I was full. I still get a twinge before I get to the uncomfortably full feeling (helps me to know my limit). Now I think it is worth having as a trigger to stop me from overeating . . . there's a silver lining in every cloud :0)

Heather, that definitely happened to me today, about hurting after I ate. Today was my first day of real food - I didn't have Breakfast, but for lunch I had some cut up chicken and mac 'n cheese. I was not hurting at all until I ate that. Same thing happened at supper. So while it's painful and very annoying, I guess I can look at it as something to help me not overeat, because it is soooo not worth that pain.

My doctor told me this might happen as a result of diaphram (sp?) pain and that because there are no nerves your brain gets confused and sends pain to your shoulder. Don't panic take the pain meds and walk.

I had the same problem. It was so bad, my left ear hurt. I am now 8 weeks post op and it is gone. thank God. I was in so much pain. I lived on gas x and walked a ton. Hope your goes away soon.

Dia! I had a pain right out of surgery and told my hubby that I thought that 90 pound dripping wet nurse dropped me on my neck and shoulder! :lol: It was so intense that I asked the nurse in recovery just exactly what this pain was from..she told me it was the anesthesia working it's way out of my system and could take several weeks for it to go away. :blush: When I talked to the doc he said the same thing and asked me if my pain meds didn't help. They did, they were great for all my pains which was minimal except for my shoulder. I kept heat on it and rubbed it constantly and rotated it and my neck and finally about 2 weeks later it went away. But I sure thought they dropped me from the operating table to the guerney! :confused2: I would suggest that you talk to your doctor again and let him know that you need something to help alleviate the pain. Lortab apparently isn't cutting it! Good luck and hang in there! Never hesitate to call the doc for any thing you might feel is NOT NORMAL!! That's what my doc says to me everytime I've seen him!:blushing: Let us know when you get the relief you are seeking!!:sad:

is this gas pain? I feel like my entire body got hit by a truck.

I woke up with it so what else could it be. Suggestions, comments - ways to help. Please.

is this gas pain? I feel like my entire body got hit by a truck.

I woke up with it so what else could it be. Suggestions, comments - ways to help. Please.

:biggrin2:This is terrible but your comment "is this gas pain" just got a quick smile on my face! That's exactly how I felt when the nurse told me I had anesthetia working it's way out of my body! IT'S WHAT??:confused2: It didn't feel like gas pain or anesthetia either..it felt just like you described "hit by a truck" or in my case dropped on my shoulder! Very intense pain but mine went away rather quickly. My doc gave me some pain killer that had demerol as one of the ingredients, it's called MEPERIDINE/PROMETHAZINE. I can't see what the mgs are?? They work great but can knock you out.:thumbup: I only used these for a couple of days because of that and went back to work my third day after surgery. Hope you're feeling better soon!:biggrin2:

StaceyM:

I got pain in my right shoulder related to gall stones and just had my gallbladder removed two weeks ago. Hopefully this isn't what's causing your pain and I hope it goes away soon.

Take care.

Sue