Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, Everyone....I think I'll be the contrarian voice here...

I guess I read somewhere prior to surgery that if someone were sick with cancer that was an option. Maybe they were speaking of the times when people go through chemo and radiation. I know it's different for everyone. I know end stages are bad no matter what, trust me I know! brandyII.

I hear that. I hate cancer. F*%k Cancer! I don't know how to be articulate when I even hear the word, Cancer. I just feel rage, I guess. Like somone talking about an actual person who shot their parents or children. Rage and sadness.

This has nothing to do with the subject, I suppose, but I felt a need to say it. Sorry.

Hi Readysteadygo,

I'm with you, it's a real party pooper! My sister-in-law is in Florida right with her mom who is dying as we speak of lung cancer. It seems to be hitting everyone I know. The older you get the more you hear about it and have to worry about it too for yourself.

My little sister, well she was 43 at the time was diagnosed with breast cancer and she's the youngest out of five siblings. She's in remission now, thank God. My husband's sister just had surgery for lung cancer about two weeks ago.

My grandparents lived into their 90s so I don't know what happened with the last two generations, don't seem to be as healthy. And my grandmothers were plump little ladies too. My mother was thin and so is my sister. It's a crazy world out there and we just have to deal with what we get and hope for the best. My youngest brother runs marathons and has heart problems and has no fat on him, would sink like a stone! None of it make sense.

All I know is "smoking does kill", lesson learned at an early age! You're too young to be worrying about the f%%^&g cancer, enjoy your life!! brandyII

I guess I read somewhere prior to surgery that if someone were sick with cancer that was an option. Maybe they were speaking of the times when people go through chemo and radiation. I know it's different for everyone. I know end stages are bad no matter what, trust me I know! brandyII.

Many patients write that not realizing that they are perpetuating a myth. Sleeved and banded folks can do just find getting nutrition in during radiation, chemo, etc.

Yes, end stages are very sad. :tongue_smilie:

When I was researching being banded, my surgeon wanted someone who could do an emergency unfill for me and I saw my former oncologist to discuss it with him, since they were experienced at port access.

He told me point blank he would not encourage me to go with bypass. He said there is too much of an issue with the liquid nutrition (think Ensure etc.) causing dumping issues. And there are times that is all you can seem to take in. I drank lots of it---butter pecan!!! LOL, and it does have sugars, that might lead to the dumping issues on top of the already present nausea associated with the types of chemo I was receiving.

He said the the band being adjustable was important for nausea reasons. I know a couple of weeks ago, I got sick---a virus, and vomited, and dry heaved for awhile, and swelled myself up to almost closed off. I have never had that happen! It was scary and unpleasant to say the least!!!

I don't know whether it really plays a big role in the overall view of things, but I know I felt like I could better control my own intake, if I had the option of adjustment. My oncologist concurred. He got me through it the first time, and hopefully I will not have to rely on him again, but......hold onto hope I made a wise decision. It is not always end stage thankfully!!!

Chemo is hard, harder than I can express---and I know there are multitudes of combinations and therapies----but any help you can find when going through it....you take.

Kat

Kat817,

Thanks for sharing that Kat, I know that must be difficult to deal with. I think coming from you it makes more sense to me because you're actually going through it yourself so you know what I was talking about before.

I flew back home while my sister was going through chemo and just sat with her during it and I remember how much pain she went through while the nurse was trying to get to her port which was on top of bone so it was very painful and she wasn't doing a very good job! I was upset, well of course my sister was too but that's what upset me.

When my surgeon told me about the lap band and how I would have a port I told him no way, and told him about my sister's pain going through being stuck. Needless to say I've been through many a stick and it's nothing compared to what my sister went through! Supposedly it's sewn into my muscle, but I still think it's fat, lol.

Anyway you survivors are way braver than lap banders any day and comments like yours keeps things in perspective. Good luck and health to you Kat, brandyII.

Many patients write that not realizing that they are perpetuating a myth. Sleeved and banded folks can do just find getting nutrition in during radiation, chemo, etc.

I thought the only problem with having the band when you're having cancer treatments was the risk of slippage due to vomiting because of chemo (sort of like with pregnancy morning sickness)? I never realized that people thought it was because of nutrition.

Thanks Brandy----but in the overall picture, I had it very easy---I was able to have the cancer removed completely....one can live without a uterus! Quite happily in fact! But there are other things---like say the pancreatic cancer like Patrick Swayze is dealing with, that cannot simply be cut out.

I will readily admit to times of feeling sorry for myself----but all in all, I knew then, as I know now, I was extremely lucky.

Lauren---you know how before you were banded, and you got indigestion, or gas pains, or a simple tummy ache--------you chewed a Tums, and went on with life. Well now that we are banded, every hiccup or kick of heartburn, we automatically freak out thinking it is our band? When you get the Cancer diagnosis----it is multiplied! Every thing you think and feel seems amplified, and is all consuming.....not sure how to say it, but you worry about nutrition--or I did.....and it was a thought when I began researching. But I do not have a medical background, so went solely on what my oncologist, my PCP, and my Uncle who is a MD had for input. They all mentioned the adjustability of the band if it were needed.

I guess even if it isn't needed.....it eased my mind, which helped!!

Kat

Hi, Everyone;

I'll assume that some of my comments won't be all that popular here, but if you want honesty about the Lap band, I'll be happy to give you my point of view.

I have a Lap band. It was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life. I had it "installed" at one of the finest medical centers in the world, by a well-known surgeon.

It has almost killed me. And, I am entering the hospital on May 7th for a 4th and final surgery that MAY be fatal for me. The lap band will be removed, the big hole in my stomach that it may have created will be repaired (hopefully), and my colon will be opened up so that they can remove the Lap Band tube that burrowed it's way inside.

It's a long story, with lots of twists and turns.

My purpose for becoming a member here and sharing my story is to let potential Lap-Band recipients know that there is a "dark side" to the lap band. It should not be a quick or easy decision. It's only one option.

I hope my comments here will be taken seriously.

David

WOW!! I am so very sorry to hear of your devistating experience with the lap band. I will say that I can only imaging the fear that you are experiencing right now with what you are facing in the near future with your health.

I am a RN and the complications that you describe are definitely life threatening. I will tell you that I often wonder about what is going on with my band inside of my body that I can not see. I have been happy with my band because I know that without the restriction that I have now, I would not have been able to loose the weight that I have lost and continue to loose...But often I think, at what cost? I just pray to God that I will not experience any of the horrific "what if's" that have entered into my mind over the last few months.

Would you please share with me some of the signs/symptoms prior to your surgeon's discovery. I am extremely interested...You know, sort of a "warning signs that something may have gone terribly wrong".

I find your post very interesting and I can not wait to get a response from you. Best of luck to you during this time...God Bless.

I thought the same thing when I was getting my band, that its reversibility would be useful should I ever get cancer. Now I do have cancer and they will be installing a feeding tube.

Kat,

I don't know exactly why she was on the steroids but it had something to do with either chemo or radiation, obviously I've had no medical training, except for transcription but I don't think that counts. Anyway my sister is a petite thing to begin with but that girl on steroids could eat me under the table, prior to lap band of course! I wonder if that would cause a problem with the lap band too? Just came to me. brandyII.

Thanks Brandy----but in the overall picture, I had it very easy---I was able to have the cancer removed completely....one can live without a uterus! Quite happily in fact! But there are other things---like say the pancreatic cancer like Patrick Swayze is dealing with, that cannot simply be cut out.

I will readily admit to times of feeling sorry for myself----but all in all, I knew then, as I know now, I was extremely lucky.

Lauren---you know how before you were banded, and you got indigestion, or gas pains, or a simple tummy ache--------you chewed a Tums, and went on with life. Well now that we are banded, every hiccup or kick of heartburn, we automatically freak out thinking it is our band? When you get the Cancer diagnosis----it is multiplied! Every thing you think and feel seems amplified, and is all consuming.....not sure how to say it, but you worry about nutrition--or I did.....and it was a thought when I began researching. But I do not have a medical background, so went solely on what my oncologist, my PCP, and my Uncle who is a MD had for input. They all mentioned the adjustability of the band if it were needed.

I guess even if it isn't needed.....it eased my mind, which helped!!

Kat

Kat, do they continue to monitor you for a reoccurance of Cancer? If so, how do they do this? Scans?

Newlife35, I was thinking the exact same thing, is there a list of warning signs other than not being able to swallow your own saliva. I mean I had a 10 hour span of vomitting my own saliva and it's been about a month since that incident and I wonder if I should be x-rayed or something. I know people speak of the fluroscope (sp) but I've never had that done so now I'm wondering if I should. How do you know if there's erosion of the band or slippage? Maybe I'm paranoid but hey it's my bod! brandyII.

I too was given the Band over any other type of WLS because of my cancer. I'm so grateful that so many were looking out for me. The doctors wanted me to have something adjustable for "just in case" I ever needed to gain weight (right now I can't imagine that! LOL)

green: I'm sorry about your diagnosis. Let me know if you just wanna chat.

~C

Hey Green--

I think I mentioned to you that I do have 2 tumors currently, that they are monitoring. One in the fibula of my right leg, and one in the right mastoid.

I have bone scans to monitor them, twice a year. And I have CA-125 blood work up twice a year as well. My CA 125 always comes in above normal----but they compare it to MY baseline.

I also have standard Xray of my leg done as requested by the Dr.'s. There are actually they think 2 tumors in my leg, but it kind of looks like a figure 8----and is easily seen, they are the full width of the bone----but in the almost 7 years I have been aware of them, there has been no change. There was no change during the chemo for my uterine/endometrial cancer. So----I just do the follow up.

My oncologist, I got very lucky with. I originally had a father/son team here, and I liked them, but they sent me to Scottsdale, AZ to the mayo clinic there, to have evaluation of the mastoid tumor. While I was there, they introduced me to this Dr., who said he was moving to my area to open a cancer treatment center. He was part of the team I had dealing with my case while I was there, and then later when the cancer actually was Dx'd he was here running things.

Is the nausea any better green?

I was having terrible headaches not long ago---I believe it was allergies---but they ALWAYS send me for additional scans. Everything come back with no visible signs of change.

Brandy--I know the couple of times I was on steroids---once was for un explained severe hives, and the other to attempt to reduce swelling....I was always ravenous!!! I would come close to chewing my own arm off!!!

Then the 2nd round, they messed with my vision. First day of the Prednisone, I was to take 5 pills, by that afternoon, I noticed I could not make out license plates. By the next morning when I was to take 4 pills, I couldn't see billboards!!! I could see where the TV was, but not what was really on it! Needless to say I was taken off of them, sight returned to normal in a day! I now list them on my allergy list....which is sad to say growing!

Kat