Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need quick advice..banded 4/10/08

Thanks so much for your response. I have a question(s)??? I am sooooo hungry but yet i'm not...does that make sense. I do get hunger pains and they are wicked!!! I don't understand that. I also have sharp pains in my side that I called my doc about. It comes when I breathe in...I know its not a clot or anything like that I had a PE a long time ago so I know wha that feels like. This is different its everytime I take a deep breath and it shoots up to my collar bone. Have you experienced anything like that after surgery? And how about being able to feel like there is something foreign in you? When I lean against my kitchen counter Its like I can eel something in there. I don't know this is becoming so fustrating. I think maybe I am not eating enough either for fear of something happening, maybe that is why I am so hungry. I made myself a scrambled egg and did very well with that. Did you find that you could eat anything? Does it get bettter when they tighten the band a bit. It just seems as if I can drink normal amounts of liquid and eat 8 oz of Soup with no problem. Is there something wrong with the band or am I pushing it? I'm sorry I don't mean to ask you so many questions but maybe anyone reading this can answer me also. I really do feel completely alone in this journey.

I was starving a couple of days after surgery so I ate a few bites of cottage cheese, but I ate it really slow and chewed it like crazy! I was so hungry a week after surgery that when I went for my check up I asked if I could eat real food and she said sure so that night (I remember this vividly) I went and found the Schwan man and got the sliced beef and mashed potato dinner and made that and green Beans for me and my family. I probably didn't even eat 1/2 a cup of it and like 3 green beans and I was full, but boy did it feel great. It took a while to eat and I took super small bites and chewed it a ton, but I never knew "real" food would be so delicious! When I was on soft food I put a little shredded cheese in my Tomato Soup to give it a little substance. I also took fat free refried beans and heated them, then mixed in sour cream, enchilada sauce and a little shredded cheese. It does wonders for a mexican food craving and a few bites into it you are stuffed. I don't know if you can eat it, but I ate it my first week. Hope it helps! Our program used to follow the diet for the gastric bypass, but they found too many people were too hungry so they changed it. Good luck and you can always ask me questions if you need to!!!

It is amazing just how much variation there is across the board. My post-op eating instructions are as follows...

3 DAYS OF Clear Liquids

This included SF Jello, broth, popsicles, juice

5 WEEKS OF FULL LIQUIDS

Including oatmeal, applesauce, grits, creamy Soup, malt-o-meal, pudding, yogurt, etc.

After that I can "add solids as tolerated". Runny food for 5 weeks sucks, but the worst part is the amount I am allowed to eat. I am only supposed to have 2 ounces at a time, 3 times a day. I am not starving, but I do get hungry, and honestly, I have an extra 2 ounces before bed. My nurse said they limit the volume to allow the band to adjust and the goal is not to fill the pouch. I space everything out very well and the extra 2 ounces is working for me. I don't ever get full.

Me i listened to my doctor and just about tossed anything the dietician gave me, she was number than a hammered thumb, all the times I had to see her she kept screwing things up, and the fact the not ONCE did she get my name right ( with a chart right in front of her no less ) so i gave up on that. Yes she was nice enough but downright dingy.

Has anyones incision opened up after surgery? I was banded on 4/10/08, it's about a week and change out and the incision where the portal is has opened and drained blood and liquid and now I can see the device. Has this happened to anyone?

I am definitely no expert, but I would call your doctor immediately. That just doesn't sound right. It didn't happen to me, but I would call right away.