Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i believe Disney's point is that just because YOUR surgeon said it's ok for YOU to eat on day 6, does not mean that the original poster's surgeon will say it is OK.

we are not here to tell newly banded people that it's OK to eat x days post op...

WE DONT KNOW THAT.

the post op diet is for healing, not to torture. anchor your band in place so it will not slip.

I would like to add that "cheating" is not okay. If you have the mentality that it's okay to test the waters to see what you can or can't do - it's not okay. Have people done it, yes. Should they? No.

Always follow the personal care instructions that your doctor gave you.

And ask yourself this: Would you really ask your DOCTOR these questions? If the answer is no, because you know he/she would say no, THEN DON'T DO IT.

i believe Disney's point is that just because YOUR surgeon said it's ok for YOU to eat on day 6, does not mean that the original poster's surgeon will say it is OK.

we are not here to tell newly banded people that it's OK to eat x days post op...

WE DONT KNOW THAT.

the post op diet is for healing, not to torture. anchor your band in place so it will not slip.

Yep. And furthermore, it isn't our place to tell ANYONE that we "think you'll be fine." Unless you're willing to step up and volunteer to pay for their follow-up care and any possible future revision surgeries or replacement bands if a slip should happen because they followed your advice over their doctor's, anyway. In that case, be my guest! :)

If Disney really read my post she would she that I said with the approval of my surgeon. I would hope that somebody would consult their own surgeon for direction.

I came back to the section I wanted to reread my post. It sounded right I wanted to make sure I was not trying to give the rest of you advice. I am not doing that. I believe when I put my experience it is truely my experience which would not pertain to anyone. I love this sight because I read the posts and learn things from it. Then I try to ask questions. Information from everyone is knowledge to me. Thanks all of you for the information.

I'm on post-op day 7 ... According to my doctor, puree stuff is alright at this point, but I'mma hold off for a while (cause I don't want to deal with slips.. and because I have no idea what puree food is haha) ..

My thoughts recently wondered to something in the kitchen cupboard that I am definitely not supposed to have yet.. So I fixed myself a Protein shake, sat and read this thread from page 1 to page 9, and I'm cured of my flightly thought earlier.

I am by no means even remotely close to being experienced enough about the band to say anything about anything... but I know it's hard to do the liquid thing. All of us that are banded know... and we know if you keep your thoughts focused on food, they will remain there. And that makes for a miserable couple of weeks on the liquid diet. If you're thinking to yourself ... "I'll just have this one thing... then I won't need anything anymore" -- don't be fooled. You won't be satisfied with cheating just once. I think the best thing to do is stick with it... instead of thinking about food, think about... oh I dunno.. some new clothes you're going to buy when you lose some weight! Think of something motivational. Look at the before and after pics (amazing!).

I don't think scare tactics work. But you really do need to keep in mind the possible consequences of not adhering to your doctors protocol. When something terrible happens, how many people are left thinking "I never thought it would happen to me" ..?

I wish everyone luck :biggrin2:

I sure wish I saw a thread like this prior to surgery! My Doctors "new" nurse had "Bariatric Stage III" info emailed to me on 3/31 (I was banded on 3/27)....So after being on Liquid Protein, Jello and broth for 3 days I was given the go ahead to move on to chopped fine/mushy low fat meats, Protein foods (cottage cheese, tuna, refried Beans, yogurt, string cheese, white fish, canned fruit in their own juices etc. etc.) Then.....I saw my Doctor on 4/9 and he thought I was still on liquids!!! He wasn't very happy when he found out I wasn't. He explained then that the stomach needs time to build up scar tissue around the band....Since then I've been on mushies and Protein Drinks.

Needless to say I'm keeping the Stage III email instructions in case it does slip..Sure hope it doesn't!

Lost 20 lbs in pre op and now down another 10. Feeling healthy, great and energized and will try not to "Dwell" too much on the negatives!

I don't know what to tell you but I sure HOPE and PRAY that no damage was done...It sounds like it will be OK...I think I am on those foods after the first week...I have a class the week after banding and I think that is when I get the info/?? I'll let you know!

OhioGirl, I did really read your post, several times in fact...

I think you would be fine. Just dont get too crazy without your doctors approval of course.

To me that sounds like you told her that she will be fine with doing what she's suggesting and to just not overdo it without her doctor's approval. But not overdoing it to her(if she is moving on to a stage she isn't supposed to be in yet) could still possibly have negative consequences. If this wasn't your intention when you wrote that, my apologies, but it seems as if a few other posters read your response the same way I did.

OK...lets talk about something new? Like....how do we cope with Head hunger? You know the idea that we should eat more?

When I get the urge to eat, just for the sake of eating, the first step I take is to get a glass of ice Water, and try that. If the thought still doesn't go away---I head out for a walk or hit the elliptical.

Sometimes brushing my teeth helps----but moving is the only way I have truly found to squash the urge to eat. There were times in the beginning, I would take 3 walks a day, just to have a plan in place to avoid food at non food times!!! Not super long walks----just enough to break a cycle of thinking I needed to eat if I sat down in front of the TV for instance.....

I WISH I had the answer to head hunger, I would be well loved!!!

Kat

I still haven't gotten my surgery approved yet but wanted to comment on the whole thing. For me personally I will talk it over with my surgeon the whole liquid thing for one major reason. Because of my diabetes I am a slooooooow healer. Things now take 4 times longer to heal then they did when I was younger before the diabetes.

So this is something that is high on my list to talk over with the surgeon. And because of this I will do the liquids longer then they recommend (Unless they recommend 3-4 weeks) It can't do me any harm. And I would rather err on the side of caution then take the chance of losing the band when I finally do get to get it.

Personally I find it upsetting that many docs have chosen for whatever reasons to differ their diets from what the band manufacturer recommends. I men heck you have take into consideration the band is relativily new to the USA but they have been using it in Europe for 20+ years now. AND the consideration the trials and studies the manufacturers have to go through BEFORE they can even start putting bands into people. I fell more confident to go by 20+ years of experience and study then a doctor who MIGHT have 5 years experience and probably very few LONG term banded patients. But thats just my opinion on the matter.

It doesn't mean I will disobey my docs guidelines but we WILL discuss it in length or I will find another surgeon.

Everyone saying that we can do this for a month or two is right. I mean jeeze how many times over the years have you started a diet and stuck to it for a month or two or more?? It's probably a safe bet that most of us have. This is honestly NO DIFFERENT when you get down to the basics. Where the difference comes in is the band is a tool that should be a lifetime change, it is not going to go away in a month or two.

Bleh back to lurking I want my band so bad it gets depressing.

Call your surgeon...

Mine says "If you can get it through a straw, it's safe to have the first 3 weeks!" After that- on to real food!

Best of Luck!!!

Interesting....I think the whole analogy of a washer machine...as in your stomach with food in it....churn, churn, churning... makes me want to wait to put in anything too soon.

I will ask doc on Tuesday.

By the way, Kat...thanks for the advice!