Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We ready for a Black President?

Are we ready for a Black President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are we ready for a Black President?

• Yes
    • No

i dont care if they are black, white, pink, green or purple (although stripes would be nice)... as long as they do a competent job, represent our country well and undo the damage that has happened the past 8 years...
That's what I'm trying to say. Black is irrelevant. "Competent" is 99% of what matters to me right now. The remaining 1% isn't race, either.

If "competent" happens to be black, then I will be voting for a black president. If "competent" happens to be white, then I will be voting for a white president.

I couldn't have put it better. My vote will most likely be for McCain and not Obama but I'd vote for him in a heartbeat over Hilary and would have loved to see Colin Powell run 4 years ago.

Wow what’s good people…

It’s been a couple days since my last post and wow you guys almost left me in the wind I guess… well

Let me respond to some post that caught me and get back in the thick of it.

Plain

Yes I do thing that with the passing of generations that the problem will diminish but not though silence it will take people havening adult style conversations and really listening to each other and yes over years and years after issues are addressed and addressed not ignored and I whole heartedly believe that we will eventually get past it all.

Jack

I agree it’s a catch 22 not all of the black people who make it out of impoverished conditions realize the impact of what they are portraying. They sell those images and that life style because its what appears in their windows and its what sells. The problem lies when kids from that life style look at them and thing they came from where I came from and had to deal with the same things I did and then they try to emulate the results. They need someone to show them unequivocally that there is another way to make it out there is a way for me to be something in this world.

Gloucester

To answer your questions I’m and fine and you…lol

That is the million dollar question but let’s face it the failures of slavery are not what black America is most angry about to day… This country is in many cases blatantly biased against blacks. In the communities and in the judicial system, and in some state the laws themselves.

What I get from some of your statements is that after slavery was abolished that issue was resolved and the fact of the matter is that today there are still policies and practices that discriminate against blacks. Yes slavery is in the past but injustice, prejudice, and angerhated isn’t in the past it is in the present. In my life time I have witnessed, felt, and watched racial based injustice happen all over this country.

As far as can it happen today… it was only about Id say 3 or 4 years ago a cute little white girl came up to me and asked me … did that hurt? I asked her what she was talking about and she replied When your skin got all burned. That being said I think there is still enough ignorance in this country that that could happen again maybe. Hopefully the kid will be smarter than me at the time and not drive a staple through his finger.

No my mother never really had to deal with is and my father said in more words than I will say. I should know my place. Meaning as a black adolescent I am not permitted to make the same mistakes my white adolescent friends were able to make and get away with just a slap on the wrist. The fear for me didn’t come until my first year in TN were the hast by police where I fit the description turned into being drug outta my car and cuffed gun drawn with a knee in my back cause I was a black kid in a Mercedes in a doo rag in a white neighborhood. That’s where my fear came from. That and other events that happened to me personally I was weary before that because of my father but after that I had a hearty fear and productive anger.

But that’s the thing you can’t defend America cause it is America I love my country both the good and the bad and what pisses me off. I won’t stop arguing the case of the black community to my country just like I won’t stop arguing my patriotism to people who criticize my country. And I am not trying to move backwards but the fact is that this country has been recently on the verge of a new civil rights movement and the only reason it has yet to come tom ahead it lacks a leader.

Research the Jena6 situation is you don’t already know about it.

Ok chat feels good to be back …. Im sick of writing papers …. Only 6 more classes till my BS though so oh well.

Looking forward to all your guys post l8ter

A new civil rights movement? What rights are needed that you don't currently have? See, to me....that kind of talk diminishes what the older generations fought for. I understand your concept, but....the older generation fought for desegregation, the right to vote (as a "whole person"), the right to marry whatever color they wanted, etc.

Sorry you got pulled over. My oldest son got pulled over with 2 friends. They got their person searched and the car searched. The officer asked the driver if he was known by the alias "whitey". I shit you not......you cannot make this stuff up. The were profiled because they were young.

See, I think we're all in the Soup together. IMO, some black activists are doing more harm than good by emphasizing that the current generation are unlikely to achieve anything because "white America" holds them back. That would be very insulting to me! Statements like Jesse Jackson tends to make de-emphasize the power of the individual to accomplish.

No no no dont ever say that idiot speaks for my community him and jessie jackson are frauds and Do not speak for my community

My problem is not with all of white america just the portions of the popuulation that try and make me believ that its all over and said and done.

and im understand your point but i am not from the hood i haven't struggled as much as some have i am from the black middle class in this country and i know it still exist cause i see it its not as blatant but it still exist never the less

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six

I live in Texas, not TOO terribly far from Jena. It was a bad deal. I'm sure you realize that the KKK and other white supremacy groups marched to "counter-protest". What a bunch of jackasses...

I am not sure who I am going to vote for. The war plays a big part of my decision so that is why I will vote for McCain. Taxes are my 2nd biggest concern. Can someone tell me what Obama's beliefs are with regards to taxes?

You know, it's not the skin color that bothers me, any more than the sex of the person running.

But the Muslim thing... that bothers me.

Sorry.

You know, it's not the skin color that bothers me, any more than the sex of the person running.

Sorry.

I'm a McCain supporter myself. Not because of skin color (or lack of ovaries) but because of his political views though I will say I'd much happier with the idea that if McCain loses it will be to Obama rather than Clinton. I just couldn't stomach her.

That said. I thought the whole "Muslim thing..." had been put to rest. He says that he is respectfull of all religions but is adamant that he is not nor ever was Muslim. Infact he was baptised approx. 20 years ago in his mid 20's before he ever ran for a political office.

There has never been any kind of "proof" given to show that Obama is lying about this at all. I'm not trying to pick on you. but I really wish that this particular rumor would disappear.

Like I said I'm really not trying to pick on you. I have no idea if you concerns are a reflection of today's issues or some sort of religious bias. I prefer to assume the former rather than the latter as I myself have had simillar issues back when Lieberman was running for VP with Kerry. I didn't think that the world was ready for a jewish VP. My husband thought I was an anti-semite for my views, but it just felt too much like throwing jet fuel on a fire considering the current issues in the Middle East and other Muslim areas. I thought it would be an invitation to every extremist wether it be skinhead, neo-nazi, muslim, or whatever to hit the US with any and every terrorist plot they could think of. Obama on the other hand even though I don't support him seems more likely to be taken in a positive way by the majority of the rest of the world.

Sorry.

It is hard to read that statement .... what will it take for people to realize that he is not a Muslim....:confused: i mean c'mon.

Like the post before me i mean not to offend .... but first he has Wright issues(his Christian pastor) and then father pflager( a catholic priest) where is it coming from that Obama is a Muslim .... I'm not getting it?

Edited by TheWatcher

I think and hope that my childred would look at THIS Man and would ask if he is qualifity to be a good President and if he'll change things for the better..And not even notice his color. Maybe we should all be colorblind/

Yeah, I'm not much of an Obama guy (yet....so far his track record is that he's pretty liberal), but I do have to say that he's not a muslim.

Julie, the reason you don't know what Obama's stance towards taxes is, is because he hasn't defined what any of his positions are! That's why I'm not voting Obama (yet). I'm not super jazzed about McCain, but at least he's giving very specific examples of what his plans are if elected.

I suppose that it's possible that when Obama does get around to stating his positions that I could be won over. I tend to think less republican vs. democrat than conservative vs. liberal.

Yeah, I'm not much of an Obama guy (yet....so far his track record is that he's pretty liberal), but I do have to say that he's not a muslim.

Julie, the reason you don't know what Obama's stance towards taxes is, is because he hasn't defined what any of his positions are! That's why I'm not voting Obama (yet). I'm not super jazzed about McCain, but at least he's giving very specific examples of what his plans are if elected.

I suppose that it's possible that when Obama does get around to stating his positions that I could be won over. I tend to think less republican vs. democrat than conservative vs. liberal.

Yea his (McCain) stances are do nothing and change nothing

SO what if its broke don't fix it

to answer the question "are we ready for a black president?" yes, but the first black president of the United States should have been colin powell.

I don't see the issue of being a muslim. They have gotten enough of a bad wrap due the president we have now. Please...get the facts!!!

I don't see the issue of being a muslim. They have gotten enough of a bad wrap due the president we have now. Please...get the facts!!!

True but for any reason i unfortunately needs to STILL be said that he is not a Muslim. No matter how silly it is that we must make that clarification.:thumbup: