Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are We ready for a Black President?

Are we ready for a Black President?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are we ready for a Black President?

• Yes
    • No

Its wasn't as widespread as people wanted it to be but there are records of African tribes being paid in the slave trade when i find a reference to this i will post it

That's fine, and a reference would be great (as I posted, they did sell "each other" -- it was a form of punishment, penince, a way to get rid of PoW, etc.) But I'm still curious about your response to the first of the two posts.

I forgot to add the most important thing to my post: I am absolutely ready for a black president, and nearly everyone I know (with the exception of older, set-in-their-ways, die-hard "traditional" folks) seems to feel the same way.

That said, I'm not sure it should be Barack Obama.

I'm not sure I can answer that. I don't care if our president is black, purple, yellow, or polka-dotted. I think we're ready for a good, competent president. If that person happens to be black, so be it.

I could not have agreed more. You're my hero now, by the way. haha.

No worries Jack. I'm not saying it didn't happen, in fact I said it did, but under different premises than we colloquially accept. If we ask your average guy on the street what the progression of slavery looked like, they probably couldn't even tell you, or it might be more about families selling their unwated babies for milk money, children selling their elderly parents, people being randomly stolen in the night. Etc. Sure, there may have been some of that going on eventually, once it became such a booming international market, but I don't think it's common understanding that most of this was the result of tribal wars (PoWs, etc.), punishment, etc. And a LOT of people think like 100% of slavery was Africa selling its own people, which I've never seen ANYTHING to validate, even though I've seen a lot to invalidate it.

My original point is -- it's not something "this country" can be blamed for. Even the black people here will have roots between Africa and America.

I'm still waiting for US reparations for sending Swedes to North Dakota...
Let me know when that happens, I will have DH get us hooked up!

lol jack you got me dying over here...lol

no one is asking all white people to pay for slavery in this county but blacks cant walk away from the issue either. Its still a sore spot for us and will continue to be for a long time. all we can do is how that more discussions like this can be held and that somewhere we can find a solution.

I am with everyone else on our future president, Don't care if he is a she or if they are black, white, purple or green. I just want a president that can make change in many different areas. I also am with everyone else on thinking alot of the prejidice is from older people. I have 2 daughters and one dated a white guy that was horrible and I hated him and I would choke him today if I had a chance and my other daughter dates any race and she came home one day and told me she met a guy that she really liked and that he was black and what did I think of that and I said I don't care what color he is as long as they are a good person and they make you happy. The only thing that I don't understand about the African Americans and maybe The Watcher can help me understand this. Why is it when a jury conficts a black person or a black person goes to jail, there is a protest and it was because they were black? This is something that is vey hard for me to understand.

Watcher, I'm just curious-are you familiar with Leonard Pitts, Jr.? If not, he writes a column at the Miami Herald. It frequently touches on race and politics. He's won a Pulitzer; he also has a website Leonard Pitts Jr.. Actually, I would recommend him to anyone who appreciates good editorial writing; the kind that makes you think, even when you don't agree with it!

lol jack you got me dying over here...lol

no one is asking all white people to pay for slavery in this county but blacks cant walk away from the issue either. Its still a sore spot for us and will continue to be for a long time. all we can do is how that more discussions like this can be held and that somewhere we can find a solution.

I am sorry but I don't think there will ever be a solution. It can not be undone. Just like no one can bring my ancestors back from hallocaust.

I am sorry but I don't think there will ever be a solution. It can not be undone. Just like no one can bring my ancestors back from hallocaust.

No but we can work on tolerance and understanding and working towards making some kind of mends with the people whom this country has hurt and/or tormented.

I'm not sure I can answer that. I don't care if our president is black, purple, yellow, or polka-dotted. I think we're ready for a good, competent president. If that person happens to be black, so be it.

COmpletely agree!

I agree that a competent president is favorable right now.

Not to bring up the Iraq War, just saying... WHY do we (as a government) think we can solve problems that people have warred and fought over for thousands of years? Nuff said!

As an educator, I feel that we are really placed in an unusual position. We are to provide UNBIASED information about all those who are in the US. That being said, it is difficult to teach to those idealistic standards because we are so busy teaching standards and to 'test' that is is darned near impossible to give each and every perspective. Several years ago, I taught in a very diverse school (near Ft. Knox) and found it very interesting that the students who met me, automatically assumed that I wouldn't treat them fairly, regardless of their skin color. I also grew up in a very diverse school, but it was a rural, very middle class environment. I was taught to treat people fairly, regardless of color, shape, height, maturity, etc. That being said, when I entered my own classroom, I worked very hard to treat the kids like I wanted to be treated. Eventually, the students started to lose the 'chip' on their shoulder with me. But, I was pretty stringent in my desire to ensure students spoke to each other in a respectful way.

All this being said, I really do think we are ready for diversity in the Oval Office. BUT, I haven't made the ultimate decision as to whom I will be voting for in the primaries. I do know I will be voting democratically. I will investigate the candidates, regardless of their skin color, SEX or lack of hair or whatever. I want someone who will work to make America worthy of my pride and will re-establish this great nation to respect amid our wacky world.

Watcher, Have I hurt you in any way? I know I have never hurt anyone who was black (although a black man hurt me but that is another issue and had nothing to do with his race). My ancestors didn't own any slaves. They were too poor and worked as hard as sany slave themselves just to keep alive. So what kind of "mends" do you want from me? I personally think everyone has to live in the here and now and try to do the best they can and give up the "poor me" attitude. Life is what you make it.

Unfortunately it kind of does matter i mean we can all stick our heads in the sand when it comes to the racial issue of this country but lets think about it race is a issue in this country.
To anyone who has posted an opinion on whether we're ready for a BLACK (versus QUALIFIED, COMPETENT, etc.) candidate:

A black candidate with whom you're 20% aligned with is running against a white candidate with you're 95% aligned with. Which candidate gets your vote?

Which candidate would you vote for?

Sure, there are some blacks who will vote for Obama becuse he's black. That's just as bassackwards as whites who will vote for someone else to keep a black man from getting their vote.