Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Can't stand protein shakes!

Help me! I started my clear liquid pre-surgery diet yesterday and I feel terrible. My head hurts, I'm exhausted and hungry, and the worst part- I can't stand the Protein shakes!:puke:

Ok, so to lay it out clearly- I can't stand milk. Ever since I was two years old I have refused to drink anything with milk in it- this includes chocolate milk (tho milk chocolate is certainly ok). So, I bought a strawberries and cream Protein shake yesterday thinking, "Mmm Strawberries.." and BOOM! It smells like MILK! and worse - it TASTED like milk! So I bought one of those Atkin Protein shakes and that also tastes like milk.

I'm not above holding my nose and downing the terrible stuff if I have to- BUT, I have to know. Is there any way I can get my protein and get my energy back without having to drink a milk or milk like substance? I'm about 85% sure that if I have to drink this after the surgery, I may vomit.:)

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.:)

I buy Pro Complex from GNC, the Rich Milk chocolate kind, and I mix it with Water and ice cubes in the blender. it has 60 grams of Protein in two scoops and tastes really good. I also add one package of sf carnation instant Breakfast to it, more protein, all I need in one day. This is the first shake I have been able to drink, it is soooo good. good luck!

Try "new whey protien bullets". You can make them into Jello or just drink them down fast. There is 52 gms of protien in one and I think they are 3 oz.

If your surgeon has set Protein requirements, then you could eat your way to them. People usually supplement with Protein drinks because they can't (in the beginning at least) eat enough to get their requirements, or maybe because they're too tight for solid foods during parts of the day. But if you have to get 60 gm, and you can eat 60 gm, then who cares.

There are Protein Drinks that don't use dairy. Some of the fruit/punchy ones don't taste anything like milk. There are also unflavored ones you can add to juices, etc.

There are quite a few protien supplements out there that don't taste like milk. Unjury has a chicken stock flavored powder that is good to add to things. By itself, it's a bit powdery tasting, but if you add to chicken broth, it's good. Also, there is a fruit drink called Isopure, my DH gets it at Drug Emporium (vitamin and health food store). There are several flavors. Only down fall, is it make DH very thirsty. I guess it help him drink his water!:lol:

I hate Protein Shakes too. And, I hated milk pre-banding. Now I love it, and I'm not alone!!

Get the IDS New Whey Protein test tube bullet things. 42g of protein in 3oz, shoot 1/2 at a time (like you would alcohol) and chase with Water or whatever drink you like.

Natures Best makes a 40g Protein Isopure ready-to-drink clear drink that isn’t milk-like at all (think Kool-aid, but with more intense flavors). They come in glass bottles (like a Snapple) & are a bit pricey. I know you can get them at GNC.< /span>

Syntrax makes Nectar protein powders with 23g of protein per scoop, which are opaque but NOT milky at all (they have an apple cider appearance & texture -- cloudy but smooth) -- mix them with Water or crystal light. They come in fruit juice and tea/coffee flavors, as well as chocolate & vanilla. My GNC does NOT sell them, but our Vitamin Shoppe does.

You can buy both of these at all sorts of online stores, too.

The best secret in non-milk protein comes from Springfield, MO though!! There is a store selling to-go bottles that make a fantastic "juice" protein! (Thanks so much for this hint, MazieMommy!) The single-serve Pineapple Orange Shaker & Cran-Grape Shaker (more grape than cran) are my favorites. You just add water right to the powder in the plastic drinking bottle they come in & shake. The flavors are all very mild & they have an apple juice-like consistency. It's perfect for when I need a change from the creamy, latte-style shakes that are my standard. The only problem is that you have to order it by phone (417.881.8600) if you are not local to Springfield -- no on-line ordering yet at www.healthy-weight-supermarket.com. And I wish they sold the powder in bulk canisters!!

I hope this helps you – I got tired of milky protein quickly!

Were you a soda/coffee drinker? If so you probably have a caffine headsche that will go away soon. Have you tried Isopure? Most protien products are whey base. Look for some soy or even rice protien pwd. The Isopure is available at GNC and have fruit based flavors as well. it is still whey protien but does not look or smell like milk. Good luck to you I hope you find something you like.