Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April Exercise Challenge

So, as I've noted the past couple of weeks, I've been in a low point on my band journey. I plateau'ed for about 2 weeks now and can't get off about 271-272. Just haven't been feeling "right". Last night, I think I came up with the reason, finally, for both. Friends I've talked to have been asking if I am doing everything the same as before. Answer: YES!

Therein lies the problem. My cardio has been the same for about 6-7 wks now. Nothing different. I hop on the elliptical, set the resistance @ 8 and go for at least 60 minutes. No interval training, very little running, just elliptical at the same resistance/pace. I honestly think my body got too used to the routine and I've been stuck in a rut.

This morning, I meant to do interval, but started hitting buttons and didn't want to do it all over, so I set it at resistance level 9 and picked up the pace. My HR still was in weight loss range for 53 of the 65 minutes I did this morning and I feel BETTER!

I can't believe it took me this long to see the problem. Oh well, hopefully, I am back at it again with renewed vigor.

Now, for a nsv. Last year I umped for the first time in my cities adult softball leagues. Wasn't very good at moving from behind the plate. Last night I got a call to sub for the co rec league. Went out and was running down the first base line every time there was a close play at 1B. Moved around the field the whole 2 hrs I was umping. Both teams were surprised to see an ump doing that much, especially at 1B and mentioned it numerous times.:coolgleamA: Now, I'm set up to ump every Monday night out there.

Also, I have played against and umped for most of these players before and I don't think hardly a one recognized me. At least, they didn't mention it to me that they did.:cool2:

Therein lies the problem. My cardio has been the same for about 6-7 wks now. Nothing different. I hop on the elliptical, set the resistance @ 8 and go for at least 60 minutes. No interval training, very little running, just elliptical at the same resistance/pace. I honestly think my body got too used to the routine and I've been stuck in a rut.

funny you mention this - today was my "last day of boot camp" & the last half hr was nothing but interval training on the elliptical. Along the lines of the C5K - 30 sec resistance 5 / 1min res. 13 - back & forth for 30 minutes...I was WHIPPED, not to mention we already did 60mins of weight training. i mentioned before that i signed back up w/my trainer for twice a wk - i just know myself too well, that i'll NEVER push myself or mix things up w/out one (at least for now).

so results of 6 wk boot camp:

lbs lost - 14

body fat - 7%

inches (all over) - 23

increase of stamina - HUGE

i hated i needed to pay someone to kick my A$$ in gear - but i also had to pay for my band....no regrets other than wishing i started sooner. 2lbs from my dr's goal - 17lbs from my own personal goal, all under 7months..YAH

...ready for May challenge; i'm on a mens' over 40 soccer league in dallas starting up in 2wks; snuck in under the age (brother is coach)...can't wait to play w/the big boys:tongue: my college soccer days were a LONG time ago.LOL

CERADAD --Wow ...your 5k looks just like mine did 3 weeks ago..30f and snowing. My time was 32 mins something so im right there with you!

I got a duathlon on sunday..5k run 22mile ride 5k run...so i am stepping it up. 5k run was perfect way to start. Weird how you get caught up in the emotion at the start and run quicker than you should be going..

CERADAD --Wow ...your 5k looks just like mine did 3 weeks ago..30f and snowing. My time was 32 mins something so im right there with you!

I got a duathlon on sunday..5k run 22mile ride 5k run...so i am stepping it up. 5k run was perfect way to start. Weird how you get caught up in the emotion at the start and run quicker than you should be going..

Yeah, daddy, the weather was not what I wanted, but it could have been so much worse. Good luck on the duathlon. I've thought about trying one of those, but I need so much work on the swimming for the tri, I'm going to stick to the runs and work on that.

You're so right, you start off and you really don't know how fast you are going until it's over. But, I was so happy to see I beat my goal by over 3 minutes.

Who would have guessed 1 yr ago that either one of us would be doing this stuff? We went from the "Big Guy" to long distance runners.:lol:

luluc-great job on the boot camp! Whatever it takes to keep you moving, keep doing it!

Well, now that it's the end of the month :lol:, and I'm just now finding this thread, I would like to sign up for May

I've read through and have been so inspired by all of you. Although I work out with a trainer twice a week doing weight training, I've been totally putting off my cardio. It got to the point I was on a little plateau and she decided to go ahead and make me do cardio in-between, i.e. kickin' my arse :blushing: I've seen results, but it still hasn't pushed me into doing cardio on my own time --- but after reading y'alls heroic workout regimens, I am definitely inspired.

Will there be a May thread started? I'd like to start by going for 15 hrs in May.

Also, it was nice to see several Texas members in here ... I'm in Dallas.

Oh, wow! Y'all are doing AMAZING! Everyone! I'm so proud of my fellow Exercise Challenge buddies! :smile2:

I'm doing okay with being unfilled so far. Not that I'm not eating like a horse...because I am! But all my exercise is keeping the weight gain at bay for now. My big ride is this weekend, so I'm adding carbs in this week and getting more Water and sleep.

After the ride is behind me, I plan on going back on www.My-Calorie-Counter.com and logging my food every day again. I need to get my cals back under control...just plain get under control, PERIOD. I'm REALLY enjoying being able to eat! LOL

I am just plain BUSY lately! Hubby came home unexpectedly, which is AWESOME! He surprised me so he could be here for my ride this weekend...what a doll. So we've been shopping and playing and working around the house...just enjoying our time together until he goes back offshore. He starts a new contract in two weeks and will be working in Hong Kong for the next five years, so it will be six week rotations from now on. So we are Spring cleaning, shampooing carpets, painting the master suite, relandscaping the backyard...and cleaning the garage is next! I'm TIRED! LOL Oh, and all of this is around dealing with refinancing our house...I despise doing all that paperwork junk!

I'm not missing any of my workouts, though. That is always a priority! I'm getting really curious again to know what my body fat percentage is! I think I will make an appointment at Cooper Institute again to get hydrostatically weighed. I don't care what my bathroom scale says NEAR as much as what that will tell me.

Even though I'm getting a little aprehensive about my ride this weekend, I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to post pics for y'all!

Good luck on the ride Stef. And enjoy being with your hubby!:smile2:

As for me, last night was lower body again. Don't know what happened, may have gone too hard last night, but I kept getting awakened in the middle of the night with cramps in my lower legs.:P.

This morning was cardio again. 60 minutes on elliptical doing interval training. Hopefully, this will crack my plateau. Not in time for my dr appt tomorrow, but we'll see for next month. I'm still down about 6-7 lbs this month.

good luck on your ride TXF!!

last day of april - taking the day off. beautiful 80 degree day in north texas...may take the old horse out for a ride; but for now resting up for may's challenge...

cheers~~

Thanks, you two!

Hey, LULUC! I just checked out your profile after you talked about North Texas weather....I didn't realize/remember that we were neighbors! So do you just have your own horses or do you board horses, as well? I was thinking about getting a couple horses, but would need to board them.

Good luck Stef on the ride this weekend!! I heard it on the news and the radio this morning. Frisco to Ft Worth - AMAZING; you're going to have to change your name to Superwoman!!

Exercise:

Yesteray - Ran 5k. Did it in 40 min. I only had to take 3 30sec breathers. I hadn't run in a week and I could feel it. My lungs hurt for an hour afterwards. I won't be able to run with my jogging club until next week so I'm going to feel the pain again.

Great job on the 5k time Wombat! Keep up the great work.

I just signed up for 3, yes 3, more 5k runs in the next 1 1/2 mos. Including one next Saturday. Now looking at 2 sprint triathlons by my town by the end of the summer.

As for exercise, I failed this morning.:lol: I had my first night of softball last night and I partook in a couple of.....ahem......beverages. Had 4 over the course of the night, but also went out with the team afterwards and didn't get to bed until after 2300. Alarm went off waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. For the first time, I didn't talk myself into getting up. It was close, but I have my monthly PA appt today at 1400 and figured I can get my upper body and cardio work in before having to pick DD up from in laws afterwards. So, I will still get it in, just not at my normal time.

As for last night, oh what a difference 110 lbs make. I was flying, for me, around the bases last night. First time up, I got to 1B so quick, my steps were off and had to hustle out a double on a ball that went to the fence on the fly. But, last year I would have settled for a long single. Last night, no way that was happening.:smile: I was ever close to breathing as hard as I did last year. So much better.

Thanks, you two!

Hey, LULUC! I just checked out your profile after you talked about North Texas weather....I didn't realize/remember that we were neighbors! So do you just have your own horses or do you board horses, as well? I was thinking about getting a couple horses, but would need to board them.

Stef- We are neighbors!!! Hubby & I bought a ranch NW of Waxie (Oak Leaf) which is approx 30miles South of Dallas - I LOVE it here, ... Moved from Coppell.

We "bought" the farm so to speak, when we purchased including one horse / four cows & I added my 6 dogs to the mix....all furry friends.

The stable needs a lot of work we realized w/all the rain lately; but that's part of our summer plan, and we do intend to board at some point. My friend has her's up in Texoma, and she doesn't get ridden much - so she wants to rent here. Which is fine, I'll like to ride - so more the merrier. Hubby wants my animal addiction to SLOW down, but that's what I wanted when moving to the country.

Wombat - that's so great your still running. I sorta only do so when the trainer makes me otherwise it's the elliptical or bike.

Ceradad - Overserved???? LOL, I can't wait to start playing soccer...I love team sports I've realized over running .. I have a tendancy to get board.

So - today...

3mile warm up on bike

50min session w/trainer - all upper body & abs

Have agilty training w/my heeler later on this afternoon....will probably throw a thousand frizbees.

Happy May all!!!

No no, not overserved. Just a total of 4 over about a span of 5 1/2 hrs. Just didn't feel like getting up this morning. Once I got my Crystal Light energy drink in, I was fine. But 0430 just wasn't going to happen today.:smile:

I'll get back to my "normal" routine tomorrow.

No no, not overserved. Just a total of 4 over about a span of 5 1/2 hrs. Just didn't feel like getting up this morning. Once I got my Crystal Light energy drink in, I was fine. But 0430 just wasn't going to happen today.:lol:

I'll get back to my "normal" routine tomorrow.

:smile: glass of wine maybe 2 is all i can handle these days.

:smile: glass of wine maybe 2 is all i can handle these days.

I could have had more, but just decided against it. Didn't want that many, just got caught up in my first basemans 40th b-day. I'm going to limit myself to 2 tops each game night. Just have to make sure to bring a couple bottles of Water to reach for in the cooler instead of a beer.:lol:

Forgot about another nsv last night. The last few years, after playing doubleheaders, I'd go out with the guys and sit around for awhile. By the time I got home, my knees were so stiff and sore, I could barely get out of the truck. Last night, I didn't even think about them when I got home. This morning, my legs were a little stiff from the sprinting, but after a shower, they were fine. One more reason to be shouting about the great things the Lap Band can do for someone.:)