Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

Hello Everyone, I have my first appt with Dr. Tavakkolizadeh , I'm meeting with him and Phylis on Wednesday 8-5-09, I've had my psyche done, sleep study done, what else do I have to look forward to besides the barium swallow? I have mild sleep obstructive apnea, however the sleep doctor said significant weight loss would help in the notes, psyche approved me....any help would be appreciated, is it true they can take out most of the gas during surgery, how will I feel, with the lapband is it possible to take 4 weeks off, will the insurance accept that? my disablity doesn't cover one week off, but it will if I'm out for 4 weeks. Any help would be appreiciated. How will I feel, and how long will I feel it. I walk my dog everyday for 3 miles and have recently been going to the gym 3 times a week with zumba and yoga.

Hi Boston Lady!

I only had to meet w/ doc, psyche, nutritionist, & lots of blood work. Then I was ready to roll. After the surgery I'd say I was sore for 5-7days. Was very easy recovery. I have 3 little ones & was fine taking care of them. Everyone is different though. Hope this helps. :-)

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

I usually try to check the posts every week but with work and vacation in July I just logged in today for the first time in a month.

I read all of July's posts and wanted to say hi to everyone and hopefully find support to keep going...which I always do! I hope to see everyone at the next support group meeting.

I have been working out regularly and would like to ENCOURAGE everyone to move at least 2-3 times a week! I feel so much better than I did last fall, winter or even spring. It's a process but REMEMBER...you don't have to kill yourself to get results. My trainer starting working with me last November 30 minute sessions twice a week. I had serious knee injury and lot's of excess weight. I felt like I would never feel mobile again. I can tell you that I have really taken ownership of my workouts and attend classes regularly now. Yikes me in a class...who would have thought!!! The benefits of exercise go way beyond appearance! I need it for my mind... it's keeps me in line for the most part...even though food still presents issues...but I am working on the part that the band didn't fix as Paige always says "my head"!

Miss all of you! Thanks for the constant words of wisdom and support!

I appreciate you all more than you know!!

Tanya:thumbup:

Hi Tanya!

Good for you for getting out there & exercising! I gotta get my butt out there again. I total agree that exercising is good for you mentally too. Keep it up! :)

:crying:Hello everyone, My Big Day is tomorrow with Dr. Robinson and needless to say I am quite nervous. I am however very optimistic, and just want everyone to keep me in your thoughts. I did attend a couple of pre-op support groups and have throughly researched this to death and know this is the right decision.

Thinking of you!! Hope all went well!:)

Hey all,

just checking in...I'm always reading even though I might not respond. I went in for a my second fill today..and once again..I didn't get one. Dr. Robinson says I'm loosing it a bit to fast about 3.5 lbs per week. So in 12 weeks (3 months), I've lost 41 lbs - with no fill. I'm not quite sure what this means.

I read that many people are frustrated with not getting return calls from Dr. R's office - I hear you. This morning I was running WAY late for my appointment and I couldn't even get through to anyone to let them know. I do think Jennifer gets the messages and listens to them - I just think she is really overwhelmed with everything.

I'm doing fine otherwise, I just tend to get some gas pain when I don't eat enough throughout the day. I haven't really started working out yet - I need to. Only if there was enough time in the day!

I really enjoy reading about what everyone is going through. Keep the posts coming.

Hi there!

Your doing great! It'll be a year for me Sept 29th (CANT'T BELIEVEVE THAT!). I've only lost 40 ish lbs. I have not been serious for a few months. Trying to get back in the game now. Keep up the good work!

Hey All - Just received an email from Sari that she is leaving Brigham and Women's.

The August 18th lapband support group meeting has been cancelled. :sneaky:

I assume there will be a meeting at the Faulkner.

Sari's directed me to contact Phyllis Thomason the dietitian from the Faulkner after August 10th.

Tanya

Edited by surfergirlwannabe

I bumped into Phyllis this morning at the Faulkner and was coming here to post about the meeting being canceled and you beat me to it. Thanks for the 411 Surf and the back story. The regular Faulkner meeting is Monday the 10th (coming up!)

Dragon Slayer- hope your surgery went well.

Hi there Heidi

Msdollarz sounds like you are doing great, I think its fantastic that you dont need a fill. Fills alone do not make us lose weight its our behavior and how we use this tool. You're not missing out on anything believe me

bostonlady I dont know much about Dr T other than hes quite handsome and I heard very nice. Now I think you just need to book pre-op and surgery dates

K8_MA when is your surgery date?

singing how you feeling?

Went to Dr V for a fill at the Faulkner today. They are training a new PA and her NP gave me a fill (I forget her name but she has short blond hair and may be Russian???). She did a great job with the fill and I felt confident.

I wanted .2cc but after I drank Water felt that tightness in my throat. It was very minor and I know I could work thru it but I wasnt willing to put up with being too tight. Had them take some out...so I only ended up with .05cc added. Thing that gets me is my fill level has been higher than this. While I was there I explained to the PA how getting a fill is very meaniful its not just about the number. It represents the hope that we can take off weight. So when I only got that tiny fill I was disappointed bc Im not sure I can break out of this plateau.

Edited by tinywishes123

Msdollarz sounds like you are doing great, I think its fantastic that you dont need a fill. Fills alone do not make us lose weight its our behavior and how we use this tool. You're not missing out on anything believe me

While I was there I explained to the PA how getting a fill is very meaniful its not just about the number. It represents the hope that we can take off weight. So when I only got that tiny fill I was disappointed bc Im not sure I can break out of this plateau.

I think you've just given yourself some advice, my darling.:scared2: I hope you don't think I'm being snide or tactless....but re-read the advice you gave MsDollaz. Don't stress over your fill level. (Heck, I never even knew how much was in my band til you all asked, so I asked my surgeon!) Let the tool do its work and work with it. You'll get there. Look carefully at the behavioral and dietary changes you've made. There must be something that needs to be tweaked. I know that my "diet" isn't what it should be. It's why I have been in the same range for nearly 6 months. If I'm going to lose the last 25, then something is going to have to change......when I'm ready, I'll do it. Don't fixate on the fill amount. As you know, just having your fill removed and replaced sometimes makes a difference. Keep at it. You've come really far. You'll get there! :tt1:

I know...I realized that after I hit reply. Thing is I'm hungry and know why I havent lost just by looking at my food journal.

I need more restriction but I wonder if I am gun shy at the first hint of restriction? Up until recently Ive had no food intolerances (except tough meat) and can eat most things.

Will have to see how this so called fill works out. And guess what? Bc I was getting a tiny fill they used a smaller syringe and they didnt withdraw the Fluid

Dr V says Im ahead of the game bc on average people loose 60% of their excess weight and Im (and you) are over that

Dr V says Im ahead of the game bc on average people loose 60% of their excess weight and Im (and you) are over that

I have to say....I doubt if ANY of us would be ok with the group's standard of 40-60% excess weight lost is a success. I'm so done with that. Dr. R told me at my appointment last November that I was a success and wanted to refer me to a plastic surgeon. Since then I'm down another 45 pounds or so....Seriously....I'm only 25 pounds away from NORMAL for the first time in my life. I've never been so close. Why would I ever be ok with that?! I'm at 79% according to their numbers.....my doctor thinks I'm done. I figure if I'm gonna do 79%, why not go for 100%?! Too many times in the past year he's suggested PS. I've been avoiding seeing him just because of that!

Surgery is Sept 22, Upper GI Aug 18th, its all coming together............Dr. T is wonderful.....his staff and Yvette are great........any tidbits on the two weeks prior would be appreciated,,,,I'm headed to Vegas 17 days prior, so my two week diet will be 8 days, but I have to lose 5 lbs prior so its all good......I"m going for the Realize band, anyone with it, I'd appreciate how it went, thanks

Not making it to the Support group today...it came up too fast and I have plans to see my brother's family. Since there's not meeting at the Brigham this month, I guess it's September for me!

Ok, after writing above I decided to call Dr. R's office to make an appointment for a slight unfill. I'm not dying by any stretch of the imagination, but have a really tough time eating solids before like 5 or 6 PM.....and it's not helping me lose any weight. So, rather than being uncomfortable, I want to get a little taken out. Can you believe she told me it's a 2-3 week wait for an appointment?! I explained I'd be ok with seeing a NP or PA, that he's not all that anyway....but seriously?! I'm not all that pleased that the wait is this long! Fortunately, Jennifer found a 9:00 appointment tomorrow after a cancelation. (Thank you to whomever canceled!) I'm not desperate for an unfill, but are you kidding me?! It defies logic that someone should have to wait that long for an appointment! I'm not one to run to the doctor at every possible moment, so I've been like this for at least a few weeks---waiting another 2-3 would have been tough. UGH. Just needed to vent. Are you all experiencing the same thing?!

double book baby....Im sure if you were suffering they could squeeze you in...right?

I'm the opposite...pretty sure I could use MORE fill. Oh well I will wait until I get back from my trip since Im flying West.

and yes I do agree with what you said above L2T7, I'm so close to being normal and I think I want it more NOW then before I had surgery.

I just had my pre-op appointment. I start the liquid diet thursday and my surgery is August 27. It is all hitting me now! I can't believe that it is so close. Any advice for the liquid diet? Anyone have a favorite Protein Shake? I have butterflies!! Keep up the great work everyone

Once again, Dr. R didn't really listen to me about how much of a fill/unfill I wanted. I tried to get half of my last fill removed, but he took out the entire last fill. I'm down 10 since my last unfill 5 weeks ago...so he was happy. YEP, tried to refer me to a plastic surgeon AGAIN, but not until after asking if I already HAD it....maybe he just asks the way the supermarket asks if you want paper or plastic?!

I had a few bites of a flatbread sandwich from DD this morning. Actually, ate a few bites over the course of an hour or so. SO excited to eat real food again. I have an Upper GI scheduled for the 18th since I haven't had one since the day after surgery and I've had some issues with getting tight at only 6.0 CC in my band....

I'm on the right track. Just hoping that this new unfill doesn't kill me. I also saw Phyllis. She was like a fish out of Water in the Brigham and looked bored....she said the group last night was quiet without us.