Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

So I had my fill this am and I'm going to lie it was SO painful. First he showed up at 845 and my appointment was at 830 and there was some poor woman who was there since 8am waiting for him - then it took him 7 tries to find my port. He pressed down so hard SO many times and kept sticking the needle in. It hurts to sit :thumbup: He said it will be better when I lose more weight but I never heard of anyone having this happen. I guess its motivation to lose ALOT of weight before my next fill. AHH

I am also very nervous thinking that he may have missed the port. I wont know until next time when he hopefully checks to make sure the 4cc he put in is still there. Let me know if anyone else went through anything like this. Dr. R did my fill.

Edited by K8_MA

Hi, had my 2 week post op today. Drove in traffic, waited for the valet, in case you don't know, the 45 francis street exit is now valet only and it was complete chaos! My appt. was for 11:15, finally got called at 11:50 only to see Dr. R for all of 2 min. He ripped off my steri strips, asked how I felt and said come and see me in 4 weeks for a fill.

I thought I was supposed to see the nutritionist today. Wrong, they didn't book me. I have the guideline they gave me and I will use that. It was so good to have some warm Soup today and not just broth.

I wanted to ask am I supposed to only have like 1/2 cup? I was just soo hungry from not eating for 2 weeks, I ate a whole bowl. I ate it very slowly and I feel great. I'm gonna have to call the nutritionist and ask her my questions over the phone cuz I'm not driving in again for a few questions.

I think I'm going to make all my appt. for the faulkner. It was just a zoo at the brigham. People that had earlier appt. just showed up when they felt like it and others showed up and they weren't in the books. They were saying Jennifer just had her mind on other things..LOL

She had a baby girl last friday. I think it's girl #3 for her.

Hope all is well! :)

P.S. K8 sorry you had such a hard time!

Well I have to say my experience at the Brigham yesteday wasn't great either. The people doing valet are completely RUDE! You sit there & no one directs you or even looks at you 1/2 the time! This has been my experience EVERYTIME!!! The only time there nice is when they brin the car back & want a TIP!! I'm in such a MOOD today & my kids ar driving me crazy (FYI) :) !!! At my app Dr. V leaves the rm & has her assistant come in & TRY to do my fill. OF course she kills me & never finds it. That is the LAST time that happends! Dr. V finds it right away after. So I was down like 3 lbs in 6 weeks. Oh well it's something in the right direction. I got a small fill & I'mm still doing liquids/ cream Soups today for now.

K8 & Thinking~sounds like you had same type of day lol!

Edited by heidib

Wow. Sounds like a crummy week at the Brigham. Sorry to hear you've all had such bad experiences. K8, I too have had a lot of problems with him being able to access my port---but not because it's hidden. Mine actually protrudes! Mine is tilted, apparently from doing a lot of ab workout?! Regardless, he asked if the NEW PA could do it last time and I flat out said no. LOL. I didn't want to be her practice dummy with my port being tough to access. I had my first fill in like 8 months earlier this year and it was SUPER painful. It doesn't hurt as much when you go regularly. I don't know why that is....but it does get better. I also screamed because it hurt so much, which prompted Dr. R to ask, "Did that hurt?" Um......no. I typically scream when I'm having fun. Hello?! I told him that the old PA was far more gentle. I may have insulted him, but he needed to know that. I miss Carla!!!!

As for the issues at the Brigham, I haven't been there since July. I've been going to the Faulkner because it's just so much easier to get in and out of----particuarly now that it's Red Sox season. If any of you can manage to go there instead, it's just 2-3 miles down the road and far less aggravation. I know Dr. R has been running late recently. In fact, he said something about having to increase his office hours the last time we talked. I think they may be double booking or something. I waited 45 minutes the last time, and he's never so much as been 2 minutes late! I felt bad because he's so type A and it clearly bothered him. Don't know why he's so busy. Maybe because people like me---1.5-2 years out are still taking up his time!

Seriously, consider heading over to the Faulkner next time.....hope your day/week improves!! :)

Seriously, consider heading over to the Faulkner next time

I've had most of my appt. at the faulkner and I agree, 100 times better!

Weighed myself today and I am down 24 lbs. I really trying to focus on Protein and Water. I'm also starting feel like I'm ready to exercise. I know no weights yet. Going to check out planet fitness. Can't go wrong with $10 a month.

Happy Friday everyone!

I've had most of my appt. at the faulkner and I agree, 100 times better!

Weighed myself today and I am down 24 lbs. I really trying to focus on Protein and Water. I'm also starting feel like I'm ready to exercise. I know no weights yet. Going to check out planet fitness. Can't go wrong with $10 a month.

Happy Friday everyone!

24 lbs!!! GREAT!!! How long now?

So, I had my fill tues & I'm down a few lbs yaaaay!! I'm enjoying some Wedy's Chili right now. I never ate this before my surgery but I eat it alot now.

Something to think about for the newly banded soon.

I'm gonna try to stay away from white carbs too. I hope this helps.

I don't think I'll be working out for awhile. I damaged my back some how. I went to the chiro & she took x rays. Right where I have my pain my spine jets over to that side squishing into my ribs too. It hurst when i take deap breathes too. It really sucks when you REALLy get hurt! Ya complain about little aches & then you get a BIG one. I don't know how I did it????? After I had my last baby I felt a little kink there. went awawy for years & now I got pain in that exact spot. So she thinks maybe from child birth or carrying them. I've had too adjustments so far & go back thurs. ttyl! Hang in there!!!!!

24 lbs!!! GREAT!!! How long now?

My weight has been fluctuating all summer long, but it's 24 lbs since my first consult with Dr. R in Feb and since I gained most of my weight that I lost over the summer, I am down 21lbs since the start of my preop diet, which was on Sept. 10. So 21lbs the past month but a total of 24 lost in all. Hope this makes sense.. LOL

Heidi, I hope you feel better soon. There is nothing worse than back pain! You feel it all the time! Take care of yourself!

Hello Everyone, hows it going? Congrats to newly banded and those veteran banded on the struggle we are doing it. I had my two week postop and I was down 17.5 since surgery. I've been walking an hour 6 days a week. When my steri strips were taken off they were gentle at Dr. T's office, I have never waited more then ten minutes which is only like five because I'm always early. I go to Faulkner, love it easy in and out. I'm on the mushy phase been doing Wendy's Chili, egg salad, mashed potatoes and I have beneprotein that I add which is tasteless and mixes well. My Doctors receptionst always makes sure whatever I call for is taken care of, she made all of my appts to my first fill after my first meeting with the surgeon including calling me back at home and my office when I had a question her name is Yvette and she is so FAB. After reading about the pain on the first fill I was getting apprehensive, but its been a fairly easy transition for me so I'm gonna keep positve that all will stay the same. Also I dont have much scaring after they heal I don't they think you will see much of anything done, except the longest scar at the port but that is really healing well, is this normal with everyone? BTW, Yvette always tell me when I need to see the Nut.......so I never have to worry about asking. So is anyone going to the meeting at the Faulkner on the 19th? Have a great holiday weekend everyone.

Hello Everyone, hows it going? Congrats to newly banded and those veteran banded on the struggle we are doing it. I had my two week postop and I was down 17.5 since surgery. I've been walking an hour 6 days a week. When my steri strips were taken off they were gentle at Dr. T's office, I have never waited more then ten minutes which is only like five because I'm always early. I go to Faulkner, love it easy in and out. I'm on the mushy phase been doing Wendy's Chili, egg salad, mashed potatoes and I have beneprotein that I add which is tasteless and mixes well. My Doctors receptionst always makes sure whatever I call for is taken care of, she made all of my appts to my first fill after my first meeting with the surgeon including calling me back at home and my office when I had a question her name is Yvette and she is so FAB. After reading about the pain on the first fill I was getting apprehensive, but its been a fairly easy transition for me so I'm gonna keep positve that all will stay the same. Also I dont have much scaring after they heal I don't they think you will see much of anything done, except the longest scar at the port but that is really healing well, is this normal with everyone? BTW, Yvette always tell me when I need to see the Nut.......so I never have to worry about asking. So is anyone going to the meeting at the Faulkner on the 19th? Have a great holiday weekend everyone.

AWESOME 17.5 down!!! Good for you! You must be thrilled to be on the mushies. :sad:

Well, I feel pretty much the same as I did before my fill. I still have good restriction but I wish I were a bit tighter. I have only been getting small fills in fear of being TOO tight. I can still get down a lot of foods that I should NOT be eating & don't have the will power to stay away from.

ALERT:

Support group meetings are Monday Oct 19 (Faulkner) and Tuesday Oct 2oth (B+W) of next week @ 6pm.

I will be at the Tuesday meeting at the Brigham. Is it still Carrie Hall or has it moved? I cant access the hospitals webpage

Hope to see you guys there!

~Mel

Going to check out planet fitness. Can't go wrong with $10 a month.

How was Planet Fitness??

Anyone going to the support group meetings this week?