Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Brigham and Women/Faulker Hospital

:smile:

Well, my lungs have cleared, the pulmonologist says I am all set, surgery is scheduled for June 3rd, and my second round of pre-ops with Anesthesia clinic, and Dr. R, are both next Tuesday morning, the 26th.

Today is day one of pre-op... it will not be an issue, since I have been practicing with this diet since January.

And to reiterate what Jay said, on my first visit to the BWH weight loss surgery clinic, I saw Dr. R and the Nutritionist, Sari, and she gave me all of the information regarding pre-op, surgery, and post-op diets.

I also picked up the following books, for anyone who is vegetarian or not, and might be interested in low glycemic/low carb veg cooking. There is a lot of information in some of them, regarding the health benefits of a low "white carbs" diet. These books are keeping me from longing for things I do not need, should not have, and am determined to live with out. The book "The New Glucose Revolution" has very good information.

Another book, if you are interested in something to pass time, is "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes (its the book with the piece of toast on the cover). Basically, this book sums up what many bandsters have learned when they had intolerance for bread, pizza, etc... and their PCOS and diabetes virtually disappear. It's the "white" flour carbs that are hurting us. Not necessarily sugar, per se, though I do not encourage sugar consumption, but the opposite. Its the carbs though. The bad ones, that are hurting us, to this point, where we require surgical intervention. JUST MY OPINION though, and I encourage everyone to search out the information that they need to make informed decisions for themselves.

I am just glad Amazon remembered that Diabetic Vegan cook book (it sucked, the recipes were terrible and it was too strict and made me stop being vegan) a few years back, now that these titles came up with their algorithm they have on me!

I accidentally ordered 2 of the first one, if anyone is interested in it, I will bring it to a support group meeting for you...

"The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet: The Fast, No-Hunger Weightloss Diet for Vegetarians"

Rose Elliot; Paperback; $12.21

"The New Glucose Revolution Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook: 80 Delicious Vegetarian and Vegan recipes Made Easy with the Glycemic Index"

Dr. Dr. Jennie Brand-Miller M.D.; Paperback; $15.56

"The Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook"

Patricia Bertron; Paperback; $10.17

"Low Carb Vegetarian"

Margo Demello; Paperback; $10.36

"Month of Meals: Vegetarian Pleasures"

American Diabetes Association; Spiral-bound; $13.57

"Carb Conscious Vegetarian: 150 Delicious Recipes for a Healthy Lifestyle"

Robin Robertson; Paperback; $13.57

Regards,

Me! :mad2:

Hello everyone...great to see new and old faces at the support meeting yesterday. I think next meeting I may bring some band related materials for discussion.

BostonLady Welcome. I think most of your questions were answered.

Just thought I would post a book recommendation... I like this one bc it was about living with the band by a banded person. "Fighting Weight" by Khaliah Ali, daughter of Mohammad Ali, and her lapband Drs (btw her surgeon has the band) Dr. George Fielding, World Class Surgeon - Laparoscopic, Bariatric Surgery at NYU Medical Center

Amazon.com: Fighting Weight: How I Achieved Healthy Weight Loss with "Banding," a New Procedure That Eliminates Hunger--Forever: Khaliah Ali, George Fielding, Christine Ren, Lawrence Lindner: Books

I can honestly saya that I have had many many questions answered, not by talking to a professional or attending a lecture, but by chatting with those who are living with the Band and know the experience first hand..positives, negatives, glitches, as well as boost in self esteem and well being as they head towards their goal, one fill at a time!!!

This board has been key. Call me the posting queen! LOL

Thanks tinywishes for recommending that book. I do own the one written by the Surgeon at Beth Israel..and it was informative as was the lecture at the facilities. HOWEVER...this seems to be a book by one who is LIVING with the Band. I just reserved a copy at the library, and will be reading it next week as I go in to the Faulkner.

I just came in the door from Pre-Op. So far, so good.

Keep on keepin' on! We start each day anew.

just a quick hello to everyone. How are you all doing? Im doing okay....was supposed to get back on the program last week and was derailed by the holiday weekend....lost most of my restriction with my last unfill. Thats okay but the hunger came back. :thumbup: Ever see that commerical for Weight Watchers and they have a little red monster called "hungry". Id like to get my hands on that little guy. lol

check in when you can folks....

Hi tinywishes!

With this pre-op I am trying to fight hunger. I don't know what I am gonna do about tv. The commercials are so enticing..think I will have to hit the library more. No joke.

I have the Ali book and have it ready to tote along to the hospital tomorrow. Yep Tomorrow is my Banding Day. 5:30 at Faulkner bright and early. It looks like a very good book..about someone's journey rather than explanation of procedure only.

Well, the board IS quiet. I had given up on this thread because I was getting the reputation of the Posting Queen LOL. Glad to see someone else posting here.

Keep on fightin' that hunger. (Don't ya hate that gnawing..it gets on my nerves.)

BTW..Yesterday Dr R had a student in the room went I went in for my pre-op visit with him. Did any students participate in your procedure or just certified members of the team?

Funny story...I had surgery a few years ago. The Resident assisting the surgeon came in after the operation and asked if he could check the incisions. After he took a peek, he had no clue as to what to do now they were uncovered. He looks at me, shrugs and says "I guess I should not have done that"!!!!! That's the reason I am asking that question, not because I watch too much Grey's Anatomy! LOL

OK. I gotta vent. If I don;t let it out, my blood pressure'll go sky high and tomorrow will be a 'no go'. So...

I like the Brigh/Faulkner.

I like my Surgeon, Dr Robinson and I trust his expertise.

I really like the support group at the Brigham although I have yet to attend the smaller one at the Faulkner.

Having said all that... here's the vent:

Why is it easier to reach a live person regarding my Verizon residential land line phone(and we all know how difficult that is)...why is it easier to get them to pick up than getting a live person at Dr Robinson's office to answer a call. One can call for DAYS and get an answering machine each time regardless the time of day! If a message is left, the call is NEVER returned(I have only had 1 returned). That is not good. It's wrong. It's wrong . It's wrong.

Not only is it wrong,It is very unprofessional for a Surgeon;s office and totally unacceptable for a Hospital with the reputation of the Brigham/Faulkner. I am not a happy camper regarding this on the day before my procedure. What if a health issue arrises? I guess it's "go to the ER..let them deal with it".

Thanks for listening.

OK. I gotta vent. If I don;t let it out, my blood pressure'll go sky high and tomorrow will be a 'no go'. So...

I like the Brigh/Faulkner.

I like my Surgeon, Dr Robinson and I trust his expertise.

I really like the support group at the Brigham although I have yet to attend the smaller one at the Faulkner.

Having said all that... here's the vent:

Why is it easier to reach a live person regarding my Verizon residential land line phone(and we all know how difficult that is)...why is it easier to get them to pick up than getting a live person at Dr Robinson's office to answer a call. One can call for DAYS and get an answering machine each time regardless the time of day! If a message is left, the call is NEVER returned(I have only had 1 returned). That is not good. It's wrong. It's wrong . It's wrong.

Not only is it wrong,It is very unprofessional for a Surgeon;s office and totally unacceptable for a Hospital with the reputation of the Brigham/Faulkner. I am not a happy camper regarding this on the day before my procedure. What if a health issue arrises? I guess it's "go to the ER..let them deal with it".

Thanks for listening.

My experience was very similar lately---and I'm sorry you're going through that. I strongly suggest you say something to them, in writing even. I think we need to send a strong message that it's not ok. I will say that I'm more apt to get a call back when I leave a very detailed message for Jennifer. If I'm trying to schedule an appointment, I tell her when I can and what days, and ask her to make one accordingly. My issue is that I can't answer the phone during the work day, so we play phone tag. The only way I can get an appointment is by leaving that type of message and explaining why I need it....

Sorry you're going through this. Good luck tomorrow!! :thumbup:

Hello , I met some of you at the support group last week. I read Fighting Weight a few months ago and really got alot out of it.

I too have had many calls to the Docs office unreturned and at one point decided it was a sign not to have the surgery. So I stopped calling and ultimately they called me a few times before I responded.

I am the lady who asked so many many questions, and was very fortunate to have so many bandsters who are many months out. Your trials and tribulations were very informative, and helped greatly. Thanks to all.

okay first things first...you will have access to your Dr via thier pager # or whomever is covering if there is an emergency. Also there is a PA line if you have a non-urgent medical question/issue. Ive used the PA you will need to leave a message and Ive paged my Dr directly post-op.

If you dont have this information in your packet then you will be supplied with it before you leave the hospital. If you are trying to reach the office for appts then yes that can be a hassle. But like L2T7 said the best thing is to be as detailed as possible of when a good call back time is. I find late afternoons best time to reach my dr office.

In my many many office visits Ive only encountered 2 Med Students (or maybe interns?) once one took my medical history before the Dr came in. Another time one was in the room and the Dr asked if the student could give me a fill and I refused. Wasnt a huge issue at all.

I did however have a Fellow who assisted my surgeon during my operations... fellows are post-residents who are training in a subspeciality field. If I recall he was quite handsome and with a great bedside manner. Oh and then there are the med students who may do rounds first thing in the morning....they just ask you questions and want to take a look-see at your incision. Kinda have to expect it at a teaching hospital

singing I thought your surgery was this week.... warm wishes for a speedy recovery. :crying:

I am the lady who asked so many many questions

lol :crying: sorry that doesnt help much, 90% of the meeting is asking questions. Where were you sitting?

In anycase hello and welcome again

Just got in the house from having my Band placed yesterday by the Good Doc Robnson!

Everything went well. Loved the private room and the nurses!

Call me the Oxy Queen right now.

I am off to bed and feel like a Water balloon!

good to hear from you sining!

remember to take it easy even if you feel okay and stick to the post-op diet...... even if you think you can eat solids DONT you need to heal those stitches in place

Napping and sipping.

I get filled fast, but I can't get Jello down..sticks in the 'pipe' no matter how slow I go. Maybe tomorrow. Now I know what you all were talking about when you mentioned that 'warning' signal your stomach and esophagus give when there is too much in there!

So far it's only 1/2 glucerna at a time and some home made sugar free popsicles. Gonna try some broth at lunchtime along with Decaf green tea.

Funny...right now I weigh more than when I went in because of the bloating, etc. This is healing time for me. So I sip my liquids and knit and nap and take a stroll around the house.

Singin..I feel your frustrations with Dr. R's office. I have found that if you call around 9am you can usually get Jennifer on the phone. Also, if it is a nutrionist question - Sari is great via email if that is who you are with.

Congrats on getting banded - WALK AROUND A LOT. It is the only thing that will help that gas pain. Recently, from advice on the boards, I learned that putting a heating pad on your belly can also help the gas and it does! It works like magic.

I go tomorrow for my first appt since surgery. My incisions are healing quite nicely. I'm really hoping to get on the scale and have lost some weight! I've been taking my measurements and those are good and I have been sticking to the stage 2 and now stage 3 diet like clockwork. The only area where I sometimes fail is in getting all the liquids in.

I'll let you know tomorrow how I do.