Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This thread is going to be sooo inappropriate!

BUT (and that's a big but...) this is not a DS forum. if we were trashing a DS'er on their forum, then that would be a different story...

I have to agree. No one's hunting down "DS Talk Forum" and bashing DSers. Here, it's been a combination of A) laughing at something that is, quite honestly, slightly amusing in a sad way (charcoal suppositories and inflating undies), and :cursing: venting. Everyone deserves to be able to vent in a safe place, and this is our safe place. If we were going and invading a DS forum and posting shit for everyone to see and attacking people left and right, then I could definitely see where the outrage would be coming from, and I'd probably be just as outraged. But the fact is, that isn't happening.

So it's okay for me to post those inks to the farting, shitting, spitting-up banded people on the OH DS board because it's a DSer place? It's okay to ridicule them and laugh at them? Because I thought that PART of this tirade was about how inappropriate that behavior is when the band is the target. Did I misread that?

I don't ridicule banded people and I haven't made them the target of derision...except right here, to illustrate that you are laughing at "your own." And because I know what it's like to hope that piece of silicone will perform as advertised...and I know what it's like to be in the 50% of people who lose less than 50% of their excess weight with that product.

So do others. They are your "friends" here. They STILL write to me and to others who have revised away from the band to one of those procedures some here think it's just fine to ridicule.

But some of y'all had better watch out. Go back and read the names and data again. See how many morbidly obese people who have posted to this thread are having fun laughing at non-morbidly obese people and spreading misinformation about someone who has had the courage to try to save her life. People whose obesity is still KILLING them somehow think it's cool to laugh at people who have found a solution that is different from the INEFFECTIVE solution that they have chosen. Talk about fiddling while Rome burns!

I hope this adolescent behavior doesn't discourage someone here...someone who has the band and never got to a BMI of under 40...you know, one of your "friends"...from seeking a more effective cure for the obesity that is killing them. But if it does, we know where to give credit, don't we?

Sue

Edited by GeezerSue

Well, I see the DS hasnt improved your disposition, still all sunshine and light!

Shit on the liver maybe? Is that a side effect?

I have to agree. No one's hunting down "DS Talk Forum" and bashing DSers. Here, it's been a combination of A) laughing at something that is, quite honestly, slightly amusing in a sad way (charcoal suppositories and inflating undies), and :cursing: venting. Everyone deserves to be able to vent in a safe place, and this is our safe place. If we were going and invading a DS forum and posting shit for everyone to see and attacking people left and right, then I could definitely see where the outrage would be coming from, and I'd probably be just as outraged. But the fact is, that isn't happening.

I think the links that were posted by the OP were from a DS board, so it sure looks like someone hunted them down. I'm all for debate but this is just catty and making fun of people who are trying to fight obesity. Not cool.

i think id rather be large and work my ass off than be "normal" and have stinky problems all day long.

the band has, for the most part, changed my lifestyle. what part of a lifestyle change (other than being painfully afraid to pass gas) has the DS given to their patients. can still eat garbage (even boasts about it).. thats not a healthy lifestyle change...

WLS is not just about losing weight, its about changing your lifestyle and i ate garbage 24/7 before my surgery... dont need a surgery to continue that..

i think id rather be large and work my ass off than be "normal" and have stinky problems all day long

THOSE are not the options. For many, many people, the options are being banded and remaining MO or having the DS and a normal BMI.

the band has, for the most part, changed my lifestyle. what part of a lifestyle change (other than being painfully afraid to pass gas) has the DS given to their patients. can still eat garbage (even boasts about it).. thats not a healthy lifestyle change...

Not a healthy lifestyle change? Why is it that people who don't get how it all works proceed to tell us that is not healthy? Why is it that our doctors and our labs say we ARE healthy? What great secret do our detractors possess that hasn't been shared with the medical professionals who are dealing with us?

Cantaloupe is not healthy for my sister because her tongue swells and she can't breathe. That doesn't mean *I* can't eat cantaloupe. Maybe steak and baked potato (with butter and sour cream, thank you) and veggies and a little candy (what I ate last night) makes you fat, but not me. Maybe it's unhealthy for YOU, but not for me or for other DSers.

Lifestyle change like fitting in chairs and normal sized clothes and being able to buy a small RV with one tiny bed for my husband and me and we both fit in it? Lifestyle changes like the classes I just enrolled in because I can make the hike from the parking lot? Lifestyle changes like the clubs I just joined, knowing that I won't break the chairs? I should consider this unhealthy because I didn't diet and exercise and suffer to get there? I just can't hate me that much.

WLS is not just about losing weight, its about changing your lifestyle and i ate garbage 24/7 before my surgery... dont need a surgery to continue that..

If YOUR goal when having weight loss surgery was to have a procedure that would help you learn how to diet and how to call puking by cute names and how to change your original goals from losing weight to "NSV's," then the band was a very good choice. MY goal was to lose weight. I did. And I don't stink and some moron's saying I do is not only very insulting but demonstrative of the ignorance of some of the posters but it also has to potential to hurt some of your "friends" who are desperately seeking a way out of their nightmare. Way to go on support.

Sue

Well, I see the DS hasnt improved your disposition, still all sunshine and light!

Shit on the liver maybe? Is that a side effect?

My taste is as good as ever, too. That means your disapproval of me continues to be very reassuring.

Just know that a a GOOD percentage of the posters here--your buddies--will be revising to another surgery. It's good of you to let them know how you will feel about them when that time comes.

Sue

Well.

The OP DID say that this thread was going to be inappropriate. And the things that have been called to attention are DS'ers who don't eat as healthy as apparently YOU do, and therefore pay for their choices in the "back end". The other things that have been called to attention are the fact that ds'ers on OH LOVE to dog our surgery of choice. OH is "supposed" to be a place where all types of WLS'ers can go for support. THIS forum is geared for lap-band only, hence the NAME of the forum is LAPBANDTALK. If you are no longer banded, and have had revision surgery, why are you still here?

Well.

The OP DID say that this thread was going to be inappropriate. And the things that have been called to attention are DS'ers who don't eat as healthy as apparently YOU do, and therefore pay for their choices in the "back end". The other things that have been called to attention are the fact that ds'ers on OH LOVE to dog our surgery of choice. OH is "supposed" to be a place where all types of WLS'ers can go for support. THIS forum is geared for lap-band only, hence the NAME of the forum is LAPBANDTALK. If you are no longer banded, and have had revision surgery, why are you still here?

So if I announce that I'm going to park on your lawn and flowers, then it's okay because I told you in advance I was going to be inappropriate? Nice to know if parking spaces are in short supply.

The OH DS board is a place for DSers. There are--or were, I haven't looked lately--boards here for life after the band. So from what I've seen, it's still open to the likes of me. And...I still HAVE a band. In a baggie in my guest room. If your band erodes and you have to have it removed, do you want your membership here revoked?

I'm here because the week Alex set up this site, he invited me (and others) to join and I did. He hasn't asked me to leave.

I'm here because I was banded and have three years experience (which is apparently two more years experience than you have had) with the band and that experience makes my input at least as valuable as the input of those who have NOT had that experience. When I first tried to describe the symptoms of the complications the band was causing me, the local doctors had never had patients with those symptoms. FINALLY a doctor in Tijuana caught the malfunction on video. When someone says that they are having a problem no one here has had--because everyone here is, of course wildly successful and has lost all their excess weight with no complications--then it's a good thing when old-timers who have been through the wringer are there to help. I have been very busy lately and haven't been here to offer help. But I still get PMs/e-mails from people here and respond when I notice that I've received them. (Gee...I wonder why those people feel afraid of asking those questions on this board? Answer...they ask me because they don't feel strong enough to put up with the humiliation they get from their banded friends here.)

Sue

Sue, Since I did partake in the viewing of the DS OH site last wk, I have a really honest question to ask - minus the drama. Why is the Lapband talked about so much there? If the generalization of the "Pooh" issue are incorrect - couldn't the same be said about the "Choke Chain" comments?

Personally, I like to hear the bad experiences about the Lapband - I like to know there are other alternative surgeries should this fail. But at the current moment I've never PB'd / limitations of food are in place for me because I'm in weightloss mode / and I have zero doubt I can loose 100% of my excess weight.

To that - Since this is the Rant/Rave Forum - and the Title read "This would be inappropriate", why would a DS'er expect anything less? I'm glad you came her to set the record straight on the bathroom issue - the few threads that I read where a Lapbander tried to explain that it has worked for them - they were slammed.

Lulu~

MY goal was to lose weight. I did.

Sue

i guess my 160+ pounds lost means im not losing weight.

really, Sue. you dont have a band, why are you here? if you dont like what we are saying on a lap band support board, go to OH... have fun over there ...

So if I announce that I'm going to park on your lawn and flowers, then it's okay because I told you in advance I was going to be inappropriate? Nice to know if parking spaces are in short supply.

The OH DS board is a place for DSers. There are--or were, I haven't looked lately--boards here for life after the band. So from what I've seen, it's still open to the likes of me. And...I still HAVE a band. In a baggie in my guest room. If your band erodes and you have to have it removed, do you want your membership here revoked?

I'm here because the week Alex set up this site, he invited me (and others) to join and I did. He hasn't asked me to leave.

I'm here because I was banded and have three years experience (which is apparently two more years experience than you have had) with the band and that experience makes my input at least as valuable as the input of those who have NOT had that experience. When I first tried to describe the symptoms of the complications the band was causing me, the local doctors had never had patients with those symptoms. FINALLY a doctor in Tijuana caught the malfunction on video. When someone says that they are having a problem no one here has had--because everyone here is, of course wildly successful and has lost all their excess weight with no complications--then it's a good thing when old-timers who have been through the wringer are there to help. I have been very busy lately and haven't been here to offer help. But I still get PMs/e-mails from people here and respond when I notice that I've received them. (Gee...I wonder why those people feel afraid of asking those questions on this board? Answer...they ask me because they don't feel strong enough to put up with the humiliation they get from their banded friends here.)

Sue

You must be talking about the alter universe lapbandtalk. These forums help alot of people including me. I haven't seen many negative posts against soone asking a question, except on the rants and raves boards. Hmmm wish I could say the same about over forum sites

Theres also alot of people who have expressed their frustrations and failures with the band on here.

Also, I don't believe lap band people are better then ds'ers. But I do knowthe lap band is the healthiest choice of all the surgerys IF they can handle the work and with limited complications.

sorry, i somehow missed the fact that you have your band although it's in a drawer.

i dont think Alex meant for life after lap band support to mean trashing the band. im so glad that DS worked for you and you arent stinky, YAY!! sunshine and rainbows.

maybe, Alex can create a i still have my band but its in a drawer somewhere forum...

If my band erodes and I have to have it removed, I doubt very much that I'll be seeking support here afterwards, because it would be too depressing for me to come here and read about it.

And if I had a revision, I'd be seeking support for that. As far as any friendships I've made here, there are other ways to communicate with them if I so choose.

RNY vs LAPBAND

This is the kind of crap the OP was talking about. In that thread somone wanted to know the pros and cons and of course lapband people and the most of th Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery'ers are pretty a target with their comments then couple Duodenal switch'ers gt on and start hollaring about how much better their surgery is and how lap bands kill people.

Its funny you can post that the lapband is safer even when the numbers prove it yet Duodenal switch'ers scream foul.:crying:

Everyone on these boards warn people what the band is a tool and not a magic pill. And DS'ers and revisionists claim banders keep that quiet dcause most of them either jumped into it too fast or didn't understand what their specific problem is with wait.

Edited by snuffy65