Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All you people do is complain...

Wow. Scoot over to the men's page (here, take this signed hallpass. They'll let you in) and look at all the guys that do NOT care what the BMI is. Maybe because us guys are all raging muscles under our fatsuits? I really think this dissing each other based on BMI is a "woman thing".

*puts blindfold on and readies himeself for inevitable firing squad*

Perhaps people need to realize that BMI is only ONE gauge of obesity. Here is another way of determining healthy vs unhealthy weight. If anyone needs to know what is, and what is not, acceptable content for posting, please refer to the rules.

Bye-bye BMI? Better way to measure obesity - Fitness - MSNBC.com

That picture reminds me of Mr. Mac. He is extremely overweight in his stomach area. He also has high cholesterol, asthma, allergies and, I suspect, sleep apnea (not that I can get him to agree to be tested for it). Yet his BMI is lower than mine! He's definitely not healthier than I am though and most people, when they look at him, think he's much heavier than I am.

In fact, when I went to visit my next-door neighbor to talk about WLS (he's had GBS), he thought I was asking him *for* Mr. Mac and not myself.

Some day we'll have a much better measure of health than BMI and everyone will look at the BMI chart and say "how quaint!". :huh2: In the meantime, they are better than the charts they replaced, but they still aren't the be-all and end-all of how to measure your health.

I think the safest thing to do, by far, is to avoid talking about bodies in negative terms, whether it's a larger BMI or a smaller BMI, whether you're talking about yourself or other people. Regardless of their size, people will get understandably offended if someone says a certain BMI is "bony" or "unattractive" or "gross," even if they're talking in relation to just themselves.

That's a good way to put it Lauren.

I know I will have a bmi that will be considered overweight. My trainer says I have at least 10 lbs of muscle and my cholesterol is very low. I am very happy with my size whether it's a normal bmi or not.

Ultimately I think the lifestyle a person lives will determine whether or not they are healthy. For example I have a friend who eats crap all the time, smokes, does not work out, drinks a lot, etc. She is very slender and falls well within a normal BMI. I on the other hand, am over a normal BMI (borderline obese/overweight) but eat pretty well, workout, don't smoke, etc. Now comparing us both I am probably the healthier one regardless of BMI. I can out perform her in any aerobic activity. I have a very low resting heart rate and my blood pressure is normal. I am healthier than her.

Now let's compare me to me. If I were the one at the normal BMI doing all the activities I am now, I would have to assume I would be healthier at that lower BMI than I am now. Not to say I am horribly unhealthy now, I could just improve upon it. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself. Is that not what we are all here for?

I think many people are being sensitive about what is being said, personal attack or not. And as I tell my kids when one of them calls the other stupid, "do you really think you are stupid?" If not then let it go for pete's sake. Do you really think you are too fat? Do you really think you are too thin? WTF cares what anyone else thinks of you?

Good analogy BG. Look at my situation! I was just fat! I don't have high cholesterol or high BP. If you look in my medical chart, I would appear to be healthy. Then there was that damn EGD that found CANCER! WTF?? So you all complain about BMI, thin, too thin, that's gross, I'm hot, your not,whatever. At this point in my life, I'm just going for healthy. Funny how those numbers don't matter anymore. I only wish to reduce my risk of cancer and other obesity related illness. Of course I want to be "skinny" and look great and all that, but truth be told, I just want to be alive.

~C

After 600+ posts who remembers what the original topic was anyway!

Preach on sister. Esp. bc the original post has actually been deleted. Not that I'm complaining- After is was edited three times it actually became very rude.

Good analogy BG. Look at my situation! I was just fat! I don't have high cholesterol or high BP. If you look in my medical chart, I would appear to be healthy. Then there was that damn EGD that found CANCER! WTF?? So you all complain about BMI, thin, too thin, that's gross, I'm hot, your not,whatever. At this point in my life, I'm just going for healthy. Funny how those numbers don't matter anymore. I only wish to reduce my risk of cancer and other obesity related illness. Of course I want to be "skinny" and look great and all that, but truth be told, I just want to be alive.

~C

I'll send you my best wishes and thoughts.

Preach on sister. Esp. bc the original post has actually been deleted. Not that I'm complaining- After is was edited three times it actually became very rude.

yeah, i had to do it... it was just incredibly rude and uncalled for ..

If I were the one at the normal BMI doing all the activities I am now, I would have to assume I would be healthier at that lower BMI than I am now.

My experience has been that there is a point of diminishing returns and at some point, you don't really get healthier. I know when I was 145 lb., my blood pressure was around 90/54 and my cholesterol was 155. I actually got down to 135 for a while and none of my numbers improved. Plus if my blood pressure had gotten any lower, I would have needed one of those 'fainting couches' from the time when women wore corsets. I was already at the point where I had trouble giving blood regularly at that BP.

Yet the charts say that 145 is overweight for me. You should have seen me, though. I was HOT. Yeah, I had a bit of belly, but that was it. If I'd had PS to get rid of it, I would have dropped to 140 at most. Which STILL was overweight on the charts.

But I wouldn't have been able to drop any lower (I only got to 135 because I had gallbladder surgery) unless I had a breast reduction and found some way to make my bones weigh less. I like my boobies. I'm not getting them cut off so some chart says I'm healthy! :biggrin:

Now later one I did creep up to 155 and at that point, I could see a difference in my health. But not between 145 and 135.