Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All you people do is complain...

edited out, i didnt want to delete the entire thread, so i am just editing this post.

rude and obnoxious.

losingjusme

Edited by losingjusme

Here! Here!

But, I think people are just sharing their experiences. Most, if not all, do solve their issues and work the problems.

I've had a few bumps in the road (I'm the one that swallowed bubblegum and had to go under for GI to retrieve it).

This is a great place to share experiences. And don't be afraid...be aware of 'this could happen to you'.

You shouldn't be scared because you already knew this could happen to you. All bandsters are supposed to 'know'.

Um... k.

I would have much rather had the truth when I was getting ready to go into surgery instead of some sugar coated version by someone farting rainbows. I knew exactly what to expect, I knew that I could have X pain and Y discomfort and I was prepared. If no one ever complained about what went wrong, I definitely wouldn't have had a realistic expectation of what the surgery was going to be, and how freaked out would I have been when something hurt or didn't feel right? No thanks! I'll take the truth, even if it's not what I want to hear!

I see what you're saying, but try to read between the lines on some of that. I am not yet banded, but I have learned so much from reading all of these posts. I have a better understanding of what to expect after surgery.

I know now that I might "slime" or "PB" (my doctor didn't tell me that).

I know that they might need to stick me more than once to get the port for a fill (although I would hope not) :)

I know now that if I don't follow the diet prescribed by my doctor, I might gain weight despite getting a LapBand. I also know that even if I do everything by the book, I still might plateau...maybe I should exercise!

Everyone that posts here is sharing their experience. It sheds new light for the newbie's. It helps others experiencing the same thing not feel like they've done something wrong. It gives them a chance to talk to others that understand what they're talking about. Try to see the silver lining. There is a lot of wisdom here and some very caring people!

Good luck and take care!

~C

Reading about people always complaining can be annoying, but also helpful for others. For a lot of people on this site, this is the only place they have to vent and sometimes it helps to get it all out when things might not be going as well as they might have hoped. I've learned a lot from other peoples "complaining," it has shown me that lap band really isn't a quick fix or an easy solution. Although I know what you mean about getting scared away, some things on here freaked/grossed me out so much I almost reconsidered going through with all of this! But all that has done is prepare me for everything that could possibly happen.

Edited by Allison

I hate to sound rude, but if you don't like the site, you don't have to visit.

People come here for reassurance that things they are experiencing are normal. This is surgery, there is bound to be some pain, complications, problems we didn't know might occur after surgery.

I don't think anyone is here to "scare" people. We answer questions, ask questions and give and get answers. I don't think anyone here is making anything up.

It's a public forum and you are entitiled to post your opinion and have no right to tell others that they can't post their opinion.

I was guided to this forum by my dr. I really do think the reason was that there are so many questions prior to surgery. I have the feeling my dr. thinks that if you can survive what is discussed on LBT, then you are a good candidate for the surgery. Where are you going to learn if not from ones that have or are going through it? Each person has their own success/not-so-successful stories. Everyone has their way of getting their point across. Yes, the same old questions are asked over and over. There are going to be complaints and most are just looking for answers. Everyone handles situations differently. I usually can go through surgery (not banded yet) and recover quickly and have the same energy as b/4 in a short time period. Maybe this time I will be one of the ones "bitching" and whining cuz I just want to ask if it is normal, etc. I am so happy that I will have this forum to fall back on and have some reassurance within minutes when it's my turn to go through surgery and recovery.

The way I feel about LBT is: it's like family. We are all in this together...the good and the bad. We are here to get support and give support.

I also think that recovering from obesity is an emotional/mental process as well as a physical one and the biggest part of the transformation for many people is from victim/complainer/excuse maker into an empowered person who takes responsibility for their own health.

If they have to do a bit of whinging to get there, well that's a healthy process. I do sometimes thrown my hands in the air in exasperation with people too but its part of the journey - mostly with the I dont have time to exercise/I dont have time to cook/I cant do this because .....

And most of it is good information for a would be bandster because its about things that really might happen to you.

All these stories shouldn't scare you. Don't you want to know the possibilities? I sure as hell did.

I haven't had any issues yet, BUT a lot of stuff that is talked about here was never addressed by my surgeon. I went into it being aware of what might happen, and prepared to deal with it.

It is a wise person who can learn from other's experience/mistakes.

Wow, that's pretty harsh. This is a discussion and support forum. If we can't come here and find support when we're having a tough time then why bother? We are being totally honest when we post the good, the bad and the ugly. Most threads have good descriptive titles, so just skip by the troublesome posts if you don't want to know the real story behind having a lap band. But if you're interesting in learning all you can before surgery then I definitely suggest you read as much as you can. This is not a magic cure-all, but rather a tool to help us in our journey.

BTW... I've posted both good and bad posts and I try to be a descriptive as possible so people can really see what having a band is like. I love my band... and I am thrilled that I was able to have this surgery... even with the possible bad things that can happen. :-)

I like that people share the good, the bad and the ugly. Helps me feel prepared for the what if's. My feeling - keep on posting!!!

But I totally respect your feelings. Everyone should be allowed to share their feelings and experiences here, even if I don't agree :)

"They can't find my port and stuck me 100 times,"

"I'm gaining so much weight,"

"I throw up all the time."

Do you realize that if you took all the time you have complaining and actually did something about your problems, they would probably be gone?

What would you like someone who has been stuck 100 times or who is throwing up all the time to "do" about the problem?

This is a discussion forum for all types of topics and includes both positive and negative posts. Fortunately it's optional for you to come here and read them so if you don't care for the negative experiences, you don't have to come and read them.

The reality of peoples' experiences are helpful to many of us.

In the seven months prior to being banded, I read these threads like the bible--BUT I took it all with a grain of salt, which is what you have to do. Generally when people come here, it's basically because they have questions or a problem--so you just have to figure it out for yourself.

As Apples2 said, this is like one big family--yes, we are sometimes dysfunctional--but we are all going through the same issues--and we have faced the same public ignorance and we all have said "I've had enough of my old life and I am willing to make the changes necessary to have a new one."

And there are those of us who DON'T do the research--who think this Band is a magic wand! And those will be the ones who find themselves mired in a situation they can't control with their prior habits and will be on this board looking for answers.

Whatever this board is, it has certainly provided me with respite when no-one else can understand me or what I'm going through, not even my sweet sweet husband! :)

I am inclined to agree with pretty much all of the posts stated above but well I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in as well...

Yes, you are right there are some complainers, there are some whiners, there are some naturally bubbly and helpful people. Welcome to life. I'd rather read the good, the bad and the ugly to know what I am getting into rather than just read about sunshine and rainbows and have no idea what REALLY happens post bands or the fears that you can have post band to find out that it's a stage or fear that everyone can go through.

Sure some threads and posts make me shake my head in "wtf'ness" but YOU choose which threads you want to read and which you want to respond to. If you want to know the in's and the out's of life before, during and with the band and how it effects your emotions, etc. then this is a great place to come. If you need support then we're your shoulder. This site can be one of your greatest resources and support networks.

So stick around and see what LBT and it's members are all about because for every 1 whiny post there are at least 25 helpful ones.