Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band Side Effects

Hi All,

My surgery date is 4/17 and I can't wait. I've been spending a lot of time looking through threads to see what kind of side effects I might expect after my surgery. Beside the whole eating life style change, I've noticed that Hairloss is a good possiblity. Then there is the Heartburn. In one of my support group meeting it was suggested that you may want to take heartburn drugs (Prilosec) for the first year. Is this good advice? :confused2:

Wondering what other side effects are out there?

My doc took me off of Zantack after I was banded and I haven't needed it.

Right after surgery you will have a lot of gas. It can be painful but it was not too bad for me. The reason for this is that they blow your abdomen up with air to perform the surgery and that gas has to get out. It is not pleasant.

I am gassier than I was before surgery. No burping for me, it all comes out the other end and it can be deadly. LOL

I've been banded for just over 4 months and no hair loss yet. I pray it doesn't happen.

The band is wonderful and has improved my quality of life tremendously.

Good luck to you!

I used to have heartburn all the timer prior to surgery. I haven't had it once since I had the lapband. The other side effect (besides weight loss) that I have is bruising. I bruise more easily but think this is because I am deficient in something. I take Vitamins every day...

Oh and another side effect is unwanted attention from opposite sex/same sex people. lol

the Hair loss i think happens sometimes when you go in to high ketosis, you have to make sure you are meeting your Protein levels i believe and this will help that. Also i have heard about haletosis(bad breath)also because of the ketosis

Hairloss is NOT a side-effect of the band, it's a side-effect of surgery, general body trauma, anesthesia, etc. It was as much a side-effect of having my gallbladder surgery in August as it was my band surgery 2 years ago.

I've not heard of heartburn being a side-effect of the band under normal circumstances. I think most people find their heartburn subsides, but either way I don't have it so I don't know personally.

Other side effects - there really aren't many. Change on behaviors, negative reinforcement when you do something stupid, weightloss, increased self-esteem....

I've not had heartburn once since getting banded... I did have it occasionally prior to banding. I'm also 3 months out and have yet to experience any hair loss.

My most frustrating, and exciting, side effect has been not having anything to wear that fits correctly. LOL... I'm constantly digging around for things to wear and since I refuse to shop for clothes I think this side effect may continue for quite some time. :-)

Trystelle and Heather, I am howling!!

(1) Yes, Happy, one true side effect is the sudden desire to go to the Mall and buy something that fits and looks good!!!

(2) A sudden desire to swivel your hips when you walk, just a little bit! (they swivelled themselves before :))

(3) A sudden desire to go out into the sun and (oh no!) put a bathing suit on! (ooops, with much LESS tanning lotion m'dear!)

(4) A sudden desire to wrap your arms around someone special--and now you can really get your arms around them!

As you can see, the side effects are endless--and I sure hope they NEVER end...:eek:

Hi:

Unfortunately I have one of those common weight loss side effects - gall stones. I'm going to have my gall bladder out in April. I hope it weighs 10 pounds!

Other than that, I was really tired the first three weeks, but I think that is common with any surgery and healing.

I've also become a shop-a-holic because I outgrow clothes pretty fast.

Best wishes to you to have that "clothes falling off of me" problem.

Sue

hair Loss: Can be caused by several different things. Nutritional deficits, hormones, medication (heart, blood pressure, chemo), stress and surgery (not the anesthesia, but the stress from the surgery). Usually Hair loss will happen a few months after surgery and only last a few months.

Heartburn: Some people say theirs got better after surgery, and others say they never had any until surgery. Your doctor should tell you if he/she wants you to take antacids for that. If you are having heartburn after your surgery, make sure your doctor knows...you wouldn't want an ulcer.

Your doctor should be discussing both of these things with you and addressing how you should handle or avoid them.

I personally am looking forward to the "clothes don't fit" side effect!!!

The ability to buy really cool clothes

Increased energy

Increased self confidence

Fast deflation of the wallet

New hairstyles

New lifestyles

A strange obsession with running - whodathunkit?

An inability to take your bikini off and put some darn clothes on.

Just as an aside, there is no need to go into ketosis to lose weight, no need at all. So you can avoid all those nasty effects like bad breath etc. I've eaten carbs all along.

I remember when I was starting my journey, I have lived with heartburn for years and was fearful it would get worse after surgery. It is now completely gone! I no longer have it at all. Very happy about that.

One of the side effects is PBing I read, I'm happy to say, I don't PB. Okay, I did have one episode, and I was filled up too tight, completely closed basically and ended up in the hospital for dehydration. But on a regular day, I don't get food stuck. Happy about that also

The other side effect is EVERYONE is different, you can't take what other experience and take it for fact, I rarely experience anything others say they do.

I will be going for fill #10 April 7th, most say by the 3rd fill they are at the sweet spot, what I wouldn't do to have that side effect :ohmy:. I'm hoping #10 does the trick.

The biggest thing I would say is follow up on your fills, keep it at a good restriction level and follow the band rules. Also, start exercising, even if it is just walking.

Best wishes.

PS Jachut - girl, your my hero! I would love to pose in a bikini! You are such an inspiration!

Edited by Sunshine2

Heartburn is definitely one of them. I often have to take Zantac if I want to eat something that is spicy. I use to have reflux until I got a slight unfill. I would say PB/vomitting is the worse side affect that I have. I do that a couple times a week.

I haven't been banded very long but my heartburn, which was pretty bad, is completely gone.

The best side effect is by far the clothes that seem to be melting off of me. Nothing feels as good as going shopping and seeing your size continue to go down!!

Just a little note about heartburn after surgery, if you have heartburn after being banded that is a problem that the band surgeon needs to address. It is not normal to have heartburn after banding, and it's NOT good advice (from the support group) to take Prilosec for a year after banding! If anything, that would mask any symptoms you might have of your band being too tight. It's best not to take any medications for reflux or heartburn unless your band doc tells you it's okay, and only after making sure that your band isn't too tight. The band being too tight can lead to a lot of band complications that can end up with having to have the band removed. Nobody wants that!

Good luck!