Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do when you can't sleep?

:) If I close my eyes and picture ice skaters and certain kinds of music.. sometimes it puts me to sleep... I choreograph it in my head.

Originall Posted by Trish5713

my brother has always had trouble sleeping and his psychiatrist was warry of putting him on any meds. so she told him to just lay down, close his eyes and say 1 in his head, breath, say 1, breath, and so on. i was skeptical at first but i tried it on a really long car ride and i fell asleep. apparently it helps keep your mind empty. i do it alot now if i'm stressed and can't sleep. might be worth a try!

I was taught that system by buddhist monks when I went many years ago to learn how to meditate. The idea of that is to clear your mind.

I do not have trouble sleeping normally, but if I do I read. that seems to do it for me

I hope you eventually get to be able to sleep Boo.

FYI got blood drawn today. The Dr is definately thinking it is nutrition for me. I am now 12 pounds past goal and he is not happy with me. He wants me to see my surgeon on do an unfill. I will keep you all updated!

THANKS! :)

I know the pursuit of a good night's sleep all too well. I have fibromyalgia -- sometimes referred to as "The-Princess-And-The-Pea-Syndrome". Everything has to be JUST RIGHT and even then it can get derailed SO easily.

I take Elavil which gives me about 75-80% relief of my symptoms and helps me STAY asleep. And sometimes I add in a melatonin, just to help me FALL asleep.

If those stop working, I'll go on the hunt for something else, because you can't NOT sleep!

Nana<----wonders how many mass-murders are actually insomniacs....?

I too, have one of those brains that won't shut off.....

I've been on various sleeping meds but have found that the OTC meds work just as well - if not better. I try not to take it unless I REALLY need to sleep.

Tylenol PM is my drug of choice... and now they make the liquid in vanilla flavor :sneaky:

he went to a psychiatrist with his problem of, "I can't turn my thoughts off." He walked out with a prescription that's not a sleeping pill and not habit-forming (I really can't remember what the Rx was... he told me but this was a while ago and I'm drawing a blank), but he now sleeps well every night.

Is it Buspar?

(otherwise known as Buspirone - brand-names Ansial, Ansiced, Anxiron, Axoren, Bespar, BuSpar, Buspimen, Buspinol, Buspisal, Narol, Spitomin, Sorbon)

I have heard it works wonders for high anxiety, and constant thinking... I am debating asking my doctor for it, but I want to do a little more research first.

I know the pursuit of a good night's sleep all too well. I have fibromyalgia -- sometimes referred to as "The-Princess-And-The-Pea-Syndrome". Everything has to be JUST RIGHT and even then it can get derailed SO easily.

I have fibromyalgia too... I have never heard it called "the princess and the pea syndrome"... but my family has always told me I was like that princess... how odd that they made that comparison without even knowing.

Currently, I only take Tylenol PM and Hydrocodone (to stop the pain when I DON'T want to get sleepy)...

I was reading a magazine the other day about a new medication for fibromyalgia called Lyrica... I am going to research that one as well as Busbar.

There HAS to be some relief somewhere out there!

Edited by QuasiTova

Glad you went to the Dr BBK, and get to the bottom of everything. Been thinking about you, and sending you nice, relaxing thoughts.

M

Lyrica causes weight gain. A friend of mine is on it and she says it makes her very hungry. Elavil did that to me. It makes me crave sugar like crazy.

ambien for me is the only thing that has no side effects.

BBK, are you going to get an unfill? You could easily add a little bit of

food back into your diet to stop losing.

I wish I had that problem! I am struggling to lose 1 lb.

I second the masterbation/sex option...

I find that a good 5-6 Os....helps considerably....

:blink:

Was that TMI???

Rain

LOL...WOW but 5 or 6??? Man....maybe that is my problem....lol...:tongue_smilie:

I second the masterbation/sex option...

I find that a good 5-6 Os....helps considerably....

:angry:

Was that TMI???

Rain

i second that, but usually 1-2 does the trick for me...

im not a horndog like some people :blink: :tongue_smilie:

Might I suggest a fairly simple solution?

I am a chronic insomniac, and have been pretty much all my life. It's gotten to the point that some nights I would just be laying there, praying for -anything- to stop the head.

I've recently found that a few fingers of really good scotch helps with the sleeping, and that I'm waking up very refreshed and feeling great. Obviously there will some who will be appalled at the thought, but it works for me, and at least doesn't involve strange medicines.

Boo Boo Kitty, First of all congrats on all that weight loss. You go girl.

Fortunately I do not have problems sleeping. It's one of my favorite things to do. Have you tried meditating? I hear it does wonders. Also one of things I do when I can't sleep is to imagine myself in a beautiful relaxing place and just build it in my mind. I go into details in my thoughts about the weather the colors the surrounding etc. It doesnt always work, but I am fortunate that I do not have problems sleeping very often. It kind of sounds like Im I freak, but I dont sleep in womens restrooms. ha ha Hey what about a glass of wine before bed or a hot relaxing bath. Best Wishes.

Well here is the run down of things I have tried this week....blah...

Melatonin, helped me fall asleep but I STILL woke up.

Lavender bath--nada

Massage before bed...nada

No coffee...nada, and I am being a real BITCH...

Blood work did come back I was Iron deficient. I am now taking pills for it, but Dr says it may take awhile if that is the reason I am not sleeping.

sleeping pills....I still wake up...

SO Scotch or wine doesn't sound so bad anymore....

UGH! Not sleeping makes you VERY cranky....and taking coffee away from me was VERY VERY VERY bad...lol...