Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do when you can't sleep?

BBK I feel your pain, I have been bouncing between light insomnia and full out insomnia for the last month. Light being wake up look at the clock go back to sleep. Full out, well you know the feeling, sleep? ? HAH! Not happening.

I know what is causing mine, but since the cause can't help me right now (being as he is a few thousand miles away in the desert) I wont take sleeping pills because of my kids, to paranoid something might happen to them.

You should try Celestial Seasons SleepyTime tea it has been a life saver for me. It has really helped me fall asleep, staying asleep well it is still a work in progress, and it doesn't give you the punch drunk feeling sleeping pills give. Just makes you nice and drowsy.

BBK, so sorry you're still not sleeping AND without caffeine! UGH, what a combination.

Were you not sleeping before the time change? Not sure where you live, but we lived in England for awhile, and the sun came up at like 4AM, and I would think right, time to get up. Messed me up!

Here's a warm blanket, cuddly toy, and plenty of zzzzzzzzzz´s coming your way.

Ambien was like a miracle for me. A few years ago I had surgery and the weeks following it I could not sleep at all. Literally, it was like a light bulb was turned on in my head. i'd fall asleep around 4 am and then would get up at 6 am day after day. (I wonder if it had anthing to do with the general anasthesia. ) Anyway, I tried all the useless things the doctors recommended- relaxing baths, relaxation CD's , melatonin, dimming the lights a few hours before bed, soothing caffiene free teas, etc. Nothing worked until a dr. perscribed ambien. For me it really was a miracle. Suddenly, about 6 straight hours of sleep night after night. I took it for about 2 weeks and now just take about 1/3 of one occasionally.

Well here is the run down of things I have tried this week....blah...

Melatonin, helped me fall asleep but I STILL woke up.

Lavender bath--nada

Massage before bed...nada

No coffee...nada, and I am being a real BITCH...

Blood work did come back I was Iron deficient. I am now taking pills for it, but Dr says it may take awhile if that is the reason I am not sleeping.

sleeping pills....I still wake up...

SO Scotch or wine doesn't sound so bad anymore....

UGH! Not sleeping makes you VERY cranky....and taking coffee away from me was VERY VERY VERY bad...lol...

You didn't mention trying Rainer's suggestion!!!:scared2: The Big O does wonders for your sleep & complextion:rolleyes: Or was that the massage?? LOL

I don't have your problem , but am married to an insomniac. We had every test done on him known to man - It got so bad we converted one guest room and bath to a "husband suite" because he just totally interferred w/my la la land rest. He also had sleep apnea & the CPAP machine drove me to want to shove bamboo shoots up his nails when he "FINALLY" was asleep.

Warm Milk - 1 hr of meditation / stretching - no exercising after 4pm, got his late night wandering down significantly. He is also banded, and the more he looses, the better things get. That's not to say that I don't send him off to his "quarters" every now and then .....

Oh one more thing we have a "house rule" no computer after 10pm - unless business emergency for him overseas. That makes the mind "race" and not relax, plus cuts down on what I call "drunk (not drunk per se - but lack of sleep) emailing".

I treasure my sleep - I LOVE it, hope you get there soon~~

You didn't mention trying Rainer's suggestion!!!:scared2: The Big O does wonders for your sleep & complextion:rolleyes: Or was that the massage?? LOL

I don't have your problem , but am married to an insomniac. We had every test done on him known to man - It got so bad we converted one guest room and bath to a "husband suite" because he just totally interferred w/my la la land rest. He also had sleep apnea & the CPAP machine drove me to want to shove bamboo shoots up his nails when he "FINALLY" was asleep.

Warm Milk - 1 hr of meditation / stretching - no exercising after 4pm, got his late night wandering down significantly. He is also banded, and the more he looses, the better things get. That's not to say that I don't send him off to his "quarters" every now and then .....

Oh one more thing we have a "house rule" no computer after 10pm - unless business emergency for him overseas. That makes the mind "race" and not relax, plus cuts down on what I call "drunk (not drunk per se - but lack of sleep) emailing".

I treasure my sleep - I LOVE it, hope you get there soon~~

lol...I did try Rain' suggestion, while I felt wonderful no sleep followed. I am not the type to roll over and go to sleep after sex...lol...

BBK, just wonder if the sleep thing every got any better?

No, not yet really. A few nights I have slept about 5 hours which is a HUGE improvement, but no good night! :biggrin:

Hi, reading puts you to sleep. Some say when they read the bible it puts them fast to sleep. However, I enjoy reading the bible.

Well here is the run down of things I have tried this week....blah...

Melatonin, helped me fall asleep but I STILL woke up.

Lavender bath--nada

Massage before bed...nada

No coffee...nada, and I am being a real BITCH...

Blood work did come back I was Iron deficient. I am now taking pills for it, but Dr says it may take awhile if that is the reason I am not sleeping.

sleeping pills....I still wake up...

SO Scotch or wine doesn't sound so bad anymore....

UGH! Not sleeping makes you VERY cranky....and taking coffee away from me was VERY VERY VERY bad...lol...

Oops, guess I should have read this before I posted about Melatonin. :tongue_smilie: I also have BIG trouble staying asleep.

Thanks globally, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Trell--I agree reading does work for me to fall asleep, but I broke my glasses that way! OOPS!

Babynicole no problem sweetie! thanks:thumbup: