Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to have restriction without fills?

Hello,

I was banded 3 weeks ago and am not sure if I am feeling any effect from the band. My doctor said that some folks feel a bit of restriction from just getting the band...but I don't think I'm one of them. I just finished some roast beef (deli sliced), a banana, and some oatmeal and I'm still hungry. Grrrr...also, how long did you have to wait until your first fill?

Thanks,

Lise

It's normal not to have restriction before fills. It's what is referred to as "bandster hell"...the time from your surgery until you get proper restriction. I had my first fill 4-5 weeks from surgery.

Lise, my doctor makes you wait 6 weeks for a fill. Once you start getting fills you will find that your hunger will deminish. That being said, it may take you several to feel that way. Good luck.

I had my first fill at 5 weeks. But even that did nothing. It wasn't until my second fill about 2 months after my surgery that I got good restriction.

Not me -- from about the 3-week mark out til my 2nd fill I didn't really feel the restriction. The good thing about NWWLS is that after your first fill (around the 6 week mark), they don't force you to wait some random length of time until you get another fill. So if your first fill doesn't help, call a week or two later and make another appt.

My post op diet was quite restrictive, and lasted for 6 weeks! Then after that I was on to a full diet, once I found I could eat solid Protein without issue, I could get a fill, so they average around the 7 week mark with my Dr. With the first fill, I barely felt anything, some restriction if I ate too much too fast----but I didn't get true restriction until my 2nd fill----even though it was a minute amount!

Just be sure to allow yourself time to heal....it is really important!!

Kat

Hi ~~~ Yeah I had to wait for 4 to 6 weeks for my first fill after surgery and i felt alil restrictd for awhile, then was able to eat a bit more.

yeahhh - that's why i love NWWLS!!! They are just fantastic!!!

I have my first fill scheduled for April 1st but i'm going to see if i can get it bumped a few days so i can have it the previous friday...that way i only have to go through one more of these horrible weekends of post-band/pre-fill hell!

Not me -- from about the 3-week mark out til my 2nd fill I didn't really feel the restriction. The good thing about NWWLS is that after your first fill (around the 6 week mark), they don't force you to wait some random length of time until you get another fill. So if your first fill doesn't help, call a week or two later and make another appt.

wow kat - look at those stats - you are my lap-band hero!!!

My post op diet was quite restrictive, and lasted for 6 weeks! Then after that I was on to a full diet, once I found I could eat solid Protein without issue, I could get a fill, so they average around the 7 week mark with my Dr. With the first fill, I barely felt anything, some restriction if I ate too much too fast----but I didn't get true restriction until my 2nd fill----even though it was a minute amount!

Just be sure to allow yourself time to heal....it is really important!!

Kat

Hi neighbor! I am in Everett too. I had my surgery with Dr. Landerholm at the puget sounds surgerical center in edmonds. I received my first fill 4 weeks after surgery. Another 2 weeks after. May have a 3rd in a couple of weeks when I have my check up with doctor and NUT.

Good Luck,

Kathy

lise

I was banded on 11-6-07 and still have not had a fill. My weight loss has been moving along so I have not had a fill. I feel like I have enough restriction to keep on pushing along. Im not sure if I would have had more loss with a fill but I am happy so far so why fix it if it aint broke??

good luck!

I had my first fill 7 weeks out, although my doctor usually does then 6 weeks after surgery. I had restriction at first, but it only lasted two weeks. However, I lost 10 lb in those two weeks! I had my second fill in January and was actually too tight for about three weeks, but now I am at a good spot. I've lost about 15 lb since the second fill.

I have not had a fill and I am 4 months out and I am losing just fine. My surgeon said he will not even consider filling me til my weightloss slows dramatically. He said I have lost the amount of weight that some lose in a years time.

I am happy with my status thus far.

lise

I was banded on 11-6-07 and still have not had a fill. My weight loss has been moving along so I have not had a fill. I feel like I have enough restriction to keep on pushing along. Im not sure if I would have had more loss with a fill but I am happy so far so why fix it if it aint broke??

good luck!

I went 6 mos with out a fill. Like you, when it slowed I decided it was time. There is only a finite amount of room in the band so my thinking is use it when you need it.

Most folks need it ASAP. I guess we're just lucky, huh?