Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Was Just Thinking.....

Oreo, gkeyt, shesmiles, Denise and bles-you all said exactly what I have been thinking, and saying. This is no easy way out. I could eat anything I want. I, too, am able to eat bread, Pasta, chocolate. I simply choose to not get an adjustment to make it so I can't. People, including bandsters, need to live. Why make it so I can't live just so I can lose more weight? My PA has told me several times that, by eating approx 1.5 cups of food at most meals, am eating more than she would let most bandsters eat. However, because I work out 11 times a week, she says I need more food to fuel my body.

So, there are basically 2 ways to use the band and lose weight. 1) you get your band restricted to the point where you can eat only a little bit of food and exercise a little. Or, 2) you leave the band a little looser so you can eat foods you enjoy (but in moderation) and exercise more. I choose the 2nd option. I just make the right choices on food (most of the time :thumbup:)

I totally understand! Last week my DH and I had a huge fight that lasted a couple of days[things are fine now] all I wanted to do was eat! I just kept thinking about so many of my old binge foods. I wanted them sooooo badly. I was so tense I couldn''t eat a thing, but man I wanted to. It took me a few days just to shake the thoughts of all the foods I really missed. It's times like that I REALLY miss being able to eat, and eat and eat and well you know.

If I was to eat chips, chocolate, and other crap on a daily basis, and not exercise, I am fairly confident that I would gain weight. The band wouldn't stop that.

I have to make the choice every day not to eat garbage and to exercise. The band is only a tool to cut down my portion sizes, it's not a tool that will motivate me to eat right and exercise.

If you research the band the inventors tell you this is a TOOL to assist in WL for those who have had problems keeping the weight off in the past. This tool is designed to limit portion size, it does nothing with what food goes into the pouch.

That is all up to the person and the choices that we choose too make. So yes this is a lifetime adjustment on eating habits that most of us have been doing well over 20 or 30 years. These are not easy things to change or revamp. It takes will and determination and alot of encouragement and sometimes even pain, to get the changes in place and make them routine.

I find now four months out it is much easier to choose healthy foods over bad ones. I truly have little to no desire for sugar. I have no desire for the bad foods that I used to slather onto my plate or shove into my mouth....LOL I now choose for healthy things that I know will keep me full and satiated longer.

I have no fill and I want to keep it that way as long as I can. I am losing very well according to my surgeon who is thrilled with my progress to date. I am 9 pounds away from being halfway to goal in less than 6 months out from surgery. This is not usually the norm.

I attribute this success to the amount of workouts that I put in each week. I too work out 6 days a week and 5 at the minimum. I increase the workouts every month. I also add things or change things, to keep my metabolism running on high.

This whole process is not easy and anyone who wants to try it for a month I say come one. Take the plunge....they will soon find out how very hard this is. Too eat so little, too drink so much, too maintain your active body on little food, takes lots of planning and forthought. It is worth all of the trouble and inconvience that it can be at times however. I can think of nothing in my adult life that has been this challenging to me personally as my WLS surgery has been. I can also state that it has been the most rewarding experience as well. I finally feel in control of food for the first time in my life.

I never will go back to the old way!!

I have to say the band helps me the most when I need it the most. The more stressed I am the tighter the band so nothing goes down. As one would have it, stressed times used to be my eating times. Therefore the band does the work for me. On relaxed days I just enjoy myself and eat what little the band will allow. Usually I can eat pretty good for 2 days a week and the rest of the time I drink shakes and eat very little. It works out because it keeps my metabolism in check and allows me to continue to lose weight. I don't really worry about cutting calories where I used to. I don't skip on butter, I drink my coffee with real milk and sugar, and I use real oil not cooking spray. So on days my band is lose I eat to make up for the days that I am stressed and it is tight. I am a very "stressy" person so each day is unique with my band. This is like the 2 days on and 2 days off diet. Some say it "trains your metabolism". I don't know, all I know is that it has worked for me. has anyone else had this experience? Oh and the hardest week of the month is menstration. That week nothing goes down. It is a struggle, but it calms down eventually.

Hmmm I get what you're saying, but... I have to MAKE choices... I LOVE ice cream and chocolate. I always have and always will. On the weeks I eat lots of the sweets (which the band does NOT stop or limit!!) I don't lose. IF I use my TOOL then I DO lose. See. Easy.

BUT, if I wasn't a sweets eater, and insetad liked to drown myself in regular foods that the band can control, then I would say it was easy.

I guess that is true. I am mostly a salty savory eater. I can go without the sweets. It is Pasta and meats and potatoes I crave. That stuff wouldn't go down even if I prayed for it!!! In this respect the band does the work. As far a sodas, and popcorns and Ice cream, I just don't buy it. When the band is allowing me to eat I usuall think Protein and go for that first and then I usually get full. SO I guess it is part band part me. Go me?!