Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More Than a Feeling: is it fill or eating too fast

hey guys,

we don't have a thread like this...i saw elsewhere on the boards if you are sliming and pb ing that it is more of a behavioral (chewing and bite size )issue than a restriction issue.

Last week i had an awful time with pb and sliming....and i was always distracted and in a hurry at mealtimes.

Taught me a lesson.

does anyone have any experience on how to tell if you're too tight vs are you getting pb because of not eating in the correct form

amanda

If you stop and mindfully eat, you should be able to eat solid food OK. For example, a slice of deli turkey breast and some steamed broccoli florets. [tough, dry meat and fibrous foods like pineapple or fruit skins are often difficult even if you are not too tight]

If you are too tight, you will end up eating soft food because it will go down, where solid foods that you should be eating will make you pb or hurt. It's also common to have reflux or night aspiration if you are too tight.

Amanda,

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I have been PBing at least 2x a day, and I only actually eat 2x a day. For Breakfast I have a shake, cause nothing goes down. But, I do notice that I am working at home this week and with mom and the babies here, I have been eating in front of the TV, or on the run and then it HITS with a vengeance. I'm a PRO at PBing, just hoping that I'm not damaging my band.

Last night, I was rushing out the door to a wake, and grabbed a chicken stip that I made for dinner, and WHAM! Stuck, and felt horrible all night, even though I got it all out before I left the house.

This is the hardest part for me. I can live without all of the food, it is just behavior that I am having a hard time changing.

Hi Peabody, MollyMolly and Patticnj... I am going on 6 months out. I had my surgery on November 5th 2007. I had the exact same experiences you are now having. I had like 3 really bad episodes before learning what chew, chew, chew and think about what you are eating and swallowing. You really need to learn to sit down and eat your meals, even Snacks. Try to make sure that you won't be eating on the run or to be distracted while eating. I know that this can be difficult but you really have to think about the consequences if you don't.

I had the slimming for 3 hours the first time. I had eaten 2 chicken wings while on the run to go visit my Dad Christmas Eve. Needless to say, my DH and I didn't get to go. It was painful and scarry. I kept having this bubbly type saliva coming up with a burp like every 30 seconds or so for 3 hours. I ways going to go to the ER after calling my Dr. but fortunately the chicken moved and went through. Sorry about being so graphic but it is what had happened. It was awful. The next time it happened it only lasted for about 20 minutes before going through. We were having Egg Fo Young. I had less then 1/2 the pancake type looking thing and wham! That stuck feeling again. Needless to say, no more Chinese for me. haha. You steer away from the foods that make you go.... AUGH!! haha. The 3rd time was on Mexican. I only had 2 tortilla chips with quacamoli (sp?) and 2 bites of a bean/beef with cheese type soft tortilla. My daughter and I had to leave the restaurant, kinda in a hurry too. That one lasted 1 1/2 hours in the parking lot of Walmart. Finally, I literally got sick to my stomach and threw up the very small piece of beef. I thought that the meat would be fine because it was so tender. NOT! No more Mexican!! haha.

Sorry about being so long winded but I thought I'd share my early experiences with you to let you know that you are not alone. Do try to not throw up or have slimming or PBing. It really isn't good for you band not to mention that your stomach feels bruised after even through the next day. It's best to go slow with food and think about what your swallowing before you do. If you don't like the feel of it in your mouth then by all means "SPIT IT OUT!!" Who cares? It will save you from the agony after if you do swallow it.

Take care and good luck on your journey forward, Dianne

Oh, btw... I am doing much better now. It took me almost 4 months though to even think that I had made the right decision by getting this band. So go slow and think, think, think and chew, chew, chew. Blessings!

OMG, OMG:eek: Diane you couldn't have said it better. I never realized that Ii didn't chew my food until the band. Eloquently put. I have been there too. Now I respect my band.:thumbup:

babedoe4, It really is an ongoing process. You learn. What I struggle with is the insatiable (sp?) hunger at times. I just want to eat something quickly. It's like.... FEED MEEE! haha. Then I have to think..think..think about chewing it well. Once swallowed...yikes..if too big a piece. So, just take it slow and easy. I wish you all the luck on your journey babedoe4. Blessings, Dianne