Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok Here's My Story!!

I am 27 yrs old and ready for a life style change! So here is what I did and what I am doing...up until 2/26/08 I was employed as a social worker. I went to a seminar at Peachtree Bariactrics and decided I want/need to change my life. So first I contacted my insurance and found out although I worked for the state, they did not cover WL procedures. Well, while at another seminar I found out Medicaid does pay for the procedure if it is deemed medically neccesary! So I contacted my PCP and got all my medical and cardiac clearances,and was given a medical neccecity letter. So I began saving my money in August of 07. I filed my taxes for 08, and QUIT MY JOB!

Now it may sound crazy,but I am a single mother of an active 6 yr old. I am pretty active now. But how active will I be at 30 and still weighing 324 lbs!(Wow! I have never told anyone how much I weigh! This is so freeing!) My mom has had 2 strokes and 2 heart attacks, she's only 55! I want to live! And I am determined to do anything to be here for my dgt! So I applied for Medicaid. And rcvd my cards today! I spoke to my surgeon's office today and I am on my way! I am PRAYING for approval! All my life I have fought for everyone else, and forgot about me! My child reminds me of what is good in me! I have to be here to teach her how GREAT she is. So right now I am flying by the seat of my pants! I'm excited, anxious, and so far not the least bit scared! God says to work towards our prayers! And pray incessantly! I am fighting my way there! I know I am rambling. But I would really appreciate some encouragement and some prayers! I look forward to getting to know you all, and I hope I can be of some encouragement to you all, we are all fighting for our lives!

Massa36:

I weighed 324 last April 23rd. This morning I was 211. I can't believe it's been less than 11 months and all of this change.

I wish you well in your journey to band land.

Sue

Kudos to your for your creativeness in getting funding for surgery. It has been an amazing month for me since I've been banded and I know I'll be a better mother to my children as I become more physically able. Good luck on your journey.

Good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

i have to say that i disagree with what you did. quit your job so that medicaid will pay for your surgery? am i the only one who sees that wrong on so many levels? shame on you for taking advantage of a system designed to help those who need it that is already taken advantage of in so many weighs! being a social worker i am sure you had seen your fair share of those people that i speak of. those who sit back and get help that really could be out there working, taking care of themselves. shame on you! many people dont have insurance coverage for wls, i didnt! the thought of quiting my job never crossed my mind. i think its great you want to be healthier for yourself and for your daughter. its great you want a lifestyle change. but this? what is it you are teaching that daughter? not if you want something bad enough, work for it. how about, if you want something bad enough, let someone else get it for you. sad sad sad.

well although I don't nessasaraly agree with quitting your job maybe possibly looking into a loan or saving, I'm not going to put you down or make you feel bad for it everyone does things differantly, and if this is how you can get it done then so be it. If this country smartened up everyone would have health care and this would be covered because it is preventative... as appose to treating you once you've had a heart attack or stroke and having to pay you disability. we all pay taxes including yourself for many years, so if this is what you had to do to get your share than I say go for it. As for the many people that already take advantage of the system believe me most are not living wonderful lives with there mortgages being paid and outstanding car payments. we don't help them that much.

want_so_bad, I can definitely appreciate your opinion. I know what it is to see people take advantage of the system! But understand, I pay taxes, and have been doing so, for many years. I don't know if you think it was an easy decision to quit my job... but understand it was not! This surgery for me is a life and death situation! From what I was told in my training, Medicaid is there to help those who are desperately in need of medical care. Maybe, you wanted to have wls, to look good, maybe you wanted to have it to feel good. I need to have it to be here for my dgt! I have never "used" the system before, but I have most certainly paid into it! I am not saying this is the best way for everyone, but for those who honestly have no other choice...(and believe me this was my last resort, after even paying $324 a mo. for insurance) I say "GO FOR WHAT YOU KNOW!" We have spent billions of dollars this yr alone, year as Americans, on a senseless war! When we have millions of citizens who have no health care, and for those that do, the insurance will not cover preventative procedures, particularly WLS. I honestly do not see anything wrong with me getting help from the system so that I am here 10 yrs from now caring for my dgt, so she does not have to be a burden on "the system", or you! I will one day explain to my beautiful dgt why mommy had to do what ever it took to be here for her! And nothing , and no one can, or will tell me, that I am wrong to want to live! So again, I sincerely appreciate your opinion, but until you have walked in my shoes, and are out there alone... please try not to judge. As for AMG, thanks for your understanding. Have a wonderful night and thanks for your replies!:thumbup:

massa-

i am sure that you agonized over your decision to quit your job. i have no doubt what a leap of faith you had to take to do what you have done. i commend you for taking charge and doing what you need to do.

Maybe, you wanted to have wls, to look good, maybe you wanted to have it to feel good. --yes yes, of course i want all those things...JUST LIKE YOU DO! you want this to feel better, be in better health for your daughter. i wanted to feel better and be in better health for my kids, my husband, and for myself. of course part of it was "vanity", but i think that is part of it for everyone. not a driving part, but a part still.

i did not mean to imply that i thought you wanting to live was wrong. i just didnt agree with the way to which you are doing it. and, i have been out there alone, taking care of a child, alone... i too was a single mother. i know the hardships that face a single mother, and i also know that single mothers can achieve many things, despite being single.

after thinking about this, i do have to say more power to you. at least you will be getting back some of what you have paid in! i still dont really agree with it, but oh well. to each their own. and i hope you have incredible success with the band! i know i love mine.

i'm going for my surgery on april 9th. i'm so nervous about it though. unfortunately i haven't done a strict pre-op diet yet, just been no-carbing it (basically eating fish and veggies drinking Water and light juices), but each day i decrease my intake so hopefully i'll be alright. I am also looking forward to a life change, learning better habits and living a long life. so i say, good for you massa36!

Is there anyway to quell my nerves?!?!?!

Hey congrats on your upcoming surgery! I can't wait until its my turn! as far as easing you nerves, I would say u are doing a great job already! keep up the good work and it will be a success! Pleas keep me up dated on your success ad I will do the sames