Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie needs a weightloss buddy/have 6 months to wait.

bon - started my journey on Jul 20 07 and I will be banded in 10 days, the time flies, easy for me to say now but it really does. It also seems as you wait there always seems to be something coming up, your next appt, psych eval, dietin appt, bloodwork I also tried to slowly lose some on my own. So get really involved and you will so surprised. lol

Hey, Amanda...sorry I haven't replied...I haven't had much time on the computer! I haven't done anything but read all of these posts on lapbandtalk.com. I go for my first consult tonight (and seminar), so I'm very excited. I've been waiting for 2 years to do this...I have NO idea why I waited, but I have. I guess I was building up the courage. Now the fact that I have to wait 6 more months is daunting! I'll post more and let you know how the seminar and consult went. Thanks for the support...

Hey...the only comorbidity I have is high blood pressure...thank goodness. I had blood work done two weeks ago and everything is fine. I hope that doesn't hurt my chances with the insurance company, though...

Hey, Amanda...sorry I haven't replied...I haven't had much time on the computer! I haven't done anything but read all of these posts on lapbandtalk.com. I go for my first consult tonight (and seminar), so I'm very excited. I've been waiting for 2 years to do this...I have NO idea why I waited, but I have. I guess I was building up the courage. Now the fact that I have to wait 6 more months is daunting! I'll post more and let you know how the seminar and consult went. Thanks for the support...

Very awesome about your consult... and congrats that your tests came back well.

When I heard the 6 months supervised diet thing from my insurance I was sooo heart broken. The good part is though in the meantime I found alot of support from this site. I really don't know anyone on here personally or have I made a connection to anyone but they will all jump in and give their support the minute you need it.

Fill up your 6 months with knowledge... it's the greatest gift you can give yourself to prepare for this lifestyle change. The band is a tool and if you use it right you will find a whole new healthy you.

I wish you much luck in your banding journey and I hope you have a great seminar tonight :)

sorry, it took me so long to get back ...I had my visit with my family doctor and he is going to supervise my weightloss for the 6 months, now I go for my appointment with the nutrition on April, 17th..guess I start dieting now..

I was so disheartened when I found out I had to wait so long. I am feeling really motivated NOW. Anyway.....guess it will give me more time to think about this decision.

Does anyone have the same feeling as me, that this is a chance to start over, and learn from scratch the right way to eat? I think that is why I am so excited, and HATING to wait SO LONG :wink2:

hi im having my band in 5mnths time im in the uk and d0nt have t0 jump thr0ugh the same h00ps as m0st 0f y0u but the wait d0es seem a l0ng 0ne but im sure it will g0 quickly

Hi everyone! I am having my surgery in March of next year. My insurance company allows me to have the dietary 6 month wait with my surgeon that is going to do the surgery! My surgeon has everyone I need to see so thankfully that wont be a problem! I am so frustrated and fed up with primary physicians trying to push there diet program on you where they want you to take the shots and pills! hello! Ive been overweight my whole life have done that for most of my life and i am still obese! I cant wait for my surgery! But the wait will be so worth it! Good Luck to everyone and all i can say is thank goodness for insurance!

Thanks so much, Brandy! The consult went well...the next day I got the news that I, too, have a 6 month waiting period! I was disappointed because it took me 2 years to make the decision and now I'm READY! I'm now going to my regular doctor (1 appt down and 5 to go) and he's 'supervising' a diet (weight watchers) for me. He says hopefully I'll do so well that at the end of the 6 months I won't need the surgery. I just nodded my head and smiled...all the while thinking, 'There's NO way you'll talk me out of this!' Thanks for the support and I'll definitely be in touch!

Ann

Hello everyone,

I too had to do the 6 month supervised diet. I didn't lose but 4 pounds during this time and I was really worried that they would not approve me because of that. I called the Surgeons office today to see why I hadn't heard anything. She called me a couple of hours later and said that they hadn't received any of the things that the office had faxed and that there had been a change in my coverage that excluded weight loss surgery. I was very very sad and disappointed. I did call the insurance company and ask if we had had a coverage change and they didn't know of one. I was then feeling better but still worried that it once again wouldn't happen. Then the phone rang and it was the surgeons office telling me that they received word that I was approved and when did I want to schedule. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions......whew!!!!!:biggrin2:

Hello. I am going through the UTMB Center for Weight Management for the lab band surgery. I had my first appointment with the dietition and I met the surgeon before the Christmas holiday. Would you mind telling me alittle bit about you experience with them? My second appointment is on January 26th and this all doesn't feel real yet.

I'm still nervous about this decision and I just don't know what you expect. The surgeon thinks that I will be able to have the procedure done in May or June.

Anyway, anything you can share with me would be helpful.

Thanks,

Devon

Hi Devon,

I was very happy with the UTMB weight loss program and the surgeon. It's worth the weight :thumbup: My surgeon is Dr. gomez and he is very good. Their entire program is wonderful. I didn't find the nutritionists all that helpfull, but they are a requirement for the insurance. It took a while for me to find my sweetspot - 10cc's - but once I did, I dropped 40 pounds almost immediately. Now I find that if I stick to a reasonable diet and eat slowly, the pounds will continue to fall off. Good luck, and keep in touch.

The surgeon that I met with is Dr. Gomez. He seems very nice. Thanks for your reply. I will definatly keep in touch.

Devon

Hi,

I am going through UTMB also. At the end of this month I go for my 4th dietitian visit. I am getting excite and nervous. I've never had any kind of surgery and I just don't know what to expect. At what point did they schedule your appointment? Was it after your final visit?

Thanks

Devon