Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery next week and worried

I am scheduled the 19th for my surgery. I'm worried because I just did my class with the dietician a couple of days ago and she stated that if you eat too much fat before surgery there could be too much fat around you liver and the surgery would not be completed. Now, I only have a week to go and was not put on any preop diet. I can be very good from now until then but I'm afraid that it could be too late as I didn't have much prep time for this thing. I'm also self pay. I don't want to pay $16500 to find out that the procedure wasnt' done as I can't afford to do it again. Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful.:huh2:

I started my pre op diet a week before surgery.......

three Protein shakes a day and Clear liquids.......maybe try a 'self imposed' pre op diet TODAY! There are lots of variations, read through the posts!

I'm being banded on the 18th, so just a day ahead of you!

I am having surgery on the 19th and nothing was said by the dietician about a special diet. I only have to do Clear Liquids the day before. It will be interesting to see the posts from your thread to see if I should cut down and forego my "last meal" on Monday the 17th. Have not decided what to eat but be sure it will be delicious.

I am scheduled the 19th for my surgery. I'm worried because I just did my class with the dietician a couple of days ago and she stated that if you eat too much fat before surgery there could be too much fat around you liver and the surgery would not be completed. Now, I only have a week to go and was not put on any preop diet. I can be very good from now until then but I'm afraid that it could be too late as I didn't have much prep time for this thing. I'm also self pay. I don't want to pay $16500 to find out that the procedure wasnt' done as I can't afford to do it again. Any suggestions or thoughts would be helpful.:cool2:

Basically, you need to think Atkins diet, plus at least 60 to 70 grams of protien, whey chocolate is really good., I used 2% milk., or you could use 1%, cut out all carbs.,

ie: low fat yogurt, protien drinks, protien bars, lean meats, fish, grilled chicken only.. keep your fat and carbs to a minimum.... again think Atkins... I did this for 7 days before surgery...thanks to some advise and I am doing great, I had surgery on 3/7 and so far I am doing awesome and I have lost 7.8 lbs..

Hope this helps, good luck. and don't worry its not as bad as you think.... :huh2:

Thanks for the advise. I feel a little better hearing that a week is long enough for the preop diet. I will be doing very little fat and probably a lot of Protein Drinks until the surgery. Again, thanks for all the quick responses.

Following a high Protein and reduced calorie diet can be helpful. That was my pre-op diet and then I had two days before surgery of clear liquids.< /p>

Not every overweight person has a fatty liver, a lot depends on how much fat you consumed in your pre-surgery everyday diet adn your starting BMI. Many surgeons do bloodwork that includes an LFT test (Liver function test) would can indicate if someone might have a fatty liver.

Bottom line is it can't hurt to watch what you eat starting now. You might lose a couple pounds, too which will be a nice mental boost when you're not feeling so great right after surgery.

Why take a chance your liver is enlarged and why not make the surgery as easy as possible for your surgeon?

good Luck next week!

My surgery is 3/18, and I am on a 2 week pre-op diet. Full liquids (which includes: Atkins Advantage drinks-available at Target/Walmart, EAS Advantage-powder that is mixed-same locations, Worldwide Protein Shakes-available at Trader Joe's, lots of online stuff you probably don't have time to send for like Unjury, Nectar; I can also have low-fat yogurt, broths, cream Soups, tea, coffee, fruit juice diluted 50% with Water, sugar-free Jello, sugar free popsicles, and to ease me into all liquids, a small amount of lean protein-for that I eat 2 hardboiled eggs, or a couple chicken tenders from costco which are unbreaded--the serving size on the bag is 4oz and that is about a tender and a half). I take the ready made drinks to work, having mentally prepared myself to be somewhat hungry all day, and in the evening when I would tend to overeat, I have the warm stuff, like broth and the eggs, or cream of chicken Soup with a couple tenders and 2 popsicles. Doing that seems to satisfy me, at least in the evening. In the morning when I wake up I am hungry as a bear again. I am losing almost a pound a day. I may disappear before surgery!LOL! I lost 10 pounds on my 6 month diet and 20 more since I beefed up my exercise and started this diet. All 20 didn't come off just this week. I had increased my exercise a couple months ago. Diet finished in January. Insurance took a month to approve. Four days before surgery (3/14) all liquids, no lean protein.

i started my pre-op 3 days before surgery (slimfast) and lost 4 lbs and everything went absolutely amazing well! i know you'll be just fine. i worried too - but it was for nothing. :drool: