Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do you remember when

does anyone remember when someone said oh, I have to lose 20-30 lbs? then we thought yeah, right, look at me? well, now I'm in that predicament and I don't say that to anyone who is more overweight than I am because I know how they feel. I am so glad to be in this predicament and I will do this. I am 9 months post op and happy with my loss. I just remember people telling me that they have only 20-30 lbs to lose and I guess I was just jealous because I had so much more to lose. they always looked so slim that I thought they didn't need to lose anymore, maybe just trying to tell me something?:thumbup:

Oh yes, it is all about perspective. I have had friends tell me that they're "so huge" and they have 20-30 pounds to lose vs. my 100+ pounds. At the same time I remember thinking I was a huge cow when I was about 30 pounds overweight in early high school.

Congratulations on your success! I know that for many people the last 20-30 pounds can be the hardest to lose. Since you know what it was like to be obese then you won't make those kinds of comments. I always wonder if they were trying to hint to me or if they are just being self-absorbed and didn't notice that I was far heavier than they were. You never know. I am pretty sensitive. :thumbup:

I am 32 lbs from goal right now and it is the hardest thing I've ever done. I weigh 217 lbs with a goal weight of 185. I am losing 1 lb a week right now and I started exercising again today. Good luck with your weight loss. I figure it will take me 8 more months.

My sisters are both very skinny. One of them has always had to work pretty hard to keep it that way, and the other had gained some weight, then got pregnant and gained a decent amount with her pregnancy. Seeing both of them struggle with it really opened my eyes. The one who'd been a skinny little teenager and then gained a bit with her pregnancy got tipsy enough to tell me (in tears) that she was afraid to tell me how much she was struggling because she though I'd get mad and/or I wouldn't understand. She didn't know how to tell me she hated her body without insulting me, since she weighed less than me. I said to her "I can't possibly know what you are going through, but I can do my best to support you. You KNOW what your body is supposed to look like, and I'm sure it kills you to not see that in the mirror every day, but you are getting there. I don't know what I'm supposed to look like, so I can just be happier as I'm not as big as I was."

I remember hearing that and thinking, I WISH thats all I had to lose....and now it is!

I now realize those 20-30 are just as hard as the 120 was!!!

I also know I am a kinder person though than many who fussed about their 20-30 pounds, in front of me! I do not fret about that in front of those who are working hard to lose much more...I have been there, and I have been there when I needed to be working on it, and had given up on it at that place in time. Hearing them just depressed me more back then! It did not motivate me. It did not make me feel like I was "one of them".

Now that being said, out in the everyday world is what I am speaking of. Here in LBT--we discuss hundreds of pounds to the last stubborn 10-------and I do feel like one of the crowd! We are all doing it the same way---I love the cameraderie!!

Kat

yes, I believe this last 20 or 30 lbs will be the hardest for me and will take longer to lose the weight. It seems like everytime I see heavier people I want to just pull them aside and tell them about my success, but I know better because I don't want to hurt their feelings and make me look so marvelous. They may be happy in their own shoes, but I doubt it.

Me too. I want to tell every overweight person I see how wonderful the lap band is - but I don't.

I now understand how my skinny friends could obsess about their 1/2 inch of fat or 5 pounds. All I seem to focus on is the negative aspects - the droopy tummy, pockets of fat here and there and so on.

In reality I'm very happy with my size other than my tummy. If I could chop it off with a Tummy Tuck I would be content. But, I can't - so that means more exercise and diet.

This is an amazing journey and one that I am so grateful to be on!

wombat

Delo, thank you for not being "one of them"!!! :( And HUGE congrats on your success!!!

I was just at a tea the other day where all the women were saying how big they were and moaning and groaning and saying how tight their jeans were. It makes me so angry when I'M sitting across from all of them. I feel like screaming at them "How can you say that when you can see how much bigger I am than you?" They didn't even have 20-30 to lose - I'm talking like 5-10, if that. I think it's incredibly rude and maybe even a little bitchy - like unconsciously one-upping me. You know how bitchy women can be ...