Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st of 3 PS consults Tuesday. What to expect?

I am 30 lbs from goal. My goal is 3 more months to lose at least 20 lbs to get ready for PS. What can I expect when I meet with the plastic surgeon? I am looking into a TT, lower body lift with lip and a breat augmentation.

Hi Julie--I met with my PS several months ago, to discuss the pannus---and then went in again last week. At that time, he noted my weight loss, and took pictures, took close ups of some skin tears I have....and got things ready to submit to insurance.

My first visit, he examined me, told me he would like to see me lose another 10-15 pounds to see if any of the weight come off of the stomach area....so he did some measurments. When I went back in, I had actually gone down 16.5 pounds frm my first visit, and my ab measurement had not changed a bit. My legs got skinnier, and my butt flatter!!

I am at a point I am having issues working out, or exercising much. The skin is so loose, yet heavy with residual fat in there, and it moves so much it tears in the fold. If I use compression, I get heat rash. A damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. So we submitted.

My first PS appt though was mostly discussion, and he did have me put on a robe, and look at my problems.....and poked and prodded, and lifted and moved---all the really fun stuf(!)....but most of it was talk back and forth about how things could be done, and what to expect out of PS, he showed me some pictures. We discussed how many procedures of this type he does, and he showed me pics of the EXACT surgery I am having that he had done. Discussed where he does it, what the stay in the hospital would be etc. Was not traumatic.

Let me know how your appt. goes!!

We will make it yet!!!!

Kat

Hi Kat, I am 5'8" tall. My LB surgeon and I set a goal weight of 185. That is still considered overweight at 165ish is healthy weight. I am currently around 216. My goal is to get to 200 lbs. That would put me at a BMI of 30 and 15 lbs from goal. Truthfully, my size goal is only 1 size from where I am. I am starting to get excited. I joined Weight Watchers Tuesday in the hopes of losing 20 lbs in about 2 1/2 months. That would put me at my goal in May. This is so exciting! What did you have quoted? How much was your quote?

Julie, I am 5'9", and currently sitting between 184-188. I just cannot lose anymore and it come from where it needs to--we checked!!! I am sure there are those that will say I could, if I did enough exercise, and cut calories---but even then I am going to have all the excess skin....so I together with the surgeon decided this was the time.

I am hoping with the medical issues of the torn skin, and I have had a torn stomach muscle for lots of years from an abusive ex husband--so hoping all the documented years of that might help. I have never been at a weight that fixing it was optional, and yeehaw I am now! LOL

I have seen 2 different surgeons, and made the choice of this one---I am going to have a full Tummy Tuck, with Lipo of the upper stomach area, as well as the pubic mound ---------he had all the names----I am just telling you what I call it! He explained to me the procedure he will do to lift the excess skin after the lipo of the pubic area. He is not going to do any lipo on the flanks which is usually something he would do of that area, but I am pretty thin through there now----all my weight now is in front of me, between being large chested, and this belly----it is all here! So he is leaving what little curve I have in the flank.

The costs I got betweenthe 2 Dr.s for this if my insurance won't cover, is between $7000. & $8500., that is his fee, hospital all inclusive. DH says we are doing it either way---I am just hoping with all my might insurance comes through for me!

Right now I am comfortably in a size 14, but I have excess room through the seat, and thighs, I just have to have the size to go around my stomach, and encompass the apron of skin and residual fat hanging down.....sooooo gross!! So figure it will put me into a 12, and I am good with that! I am not asking to be a size 7 again--I am closer to 50 than 40---and I am comfortable with that--I am a Granny! I'm just not wanting to hide in the Granny gowns anymore!

Kat

We have almost the same stats. I'm 5'8 1/4". Currently I am 215-216. My doctor and I discussed a goal weight of 185. That puts me at a BMI of 28. I am not sure exactly what the surgeon will say on Tuesday. I am hoping that if I get down below 200 I can have the procedure. That would put me at a size 16 headed for 14. I would love to get to 165-175 which is my high school weight. I am totally happy in a size 16 however. My goal all along is to never diet again. I want to reach a healthy size that I can stay at without yo yoing again, if you know what I mean. I have heard stories that when you have PS you can lose quite a bit more afterwards. You will probably lose at least 10 lbs once the swelling goes down. How exciting! When is your surgery? I am hoping mine will be in the late Sumemr early Fall. Julie

I know I am so excited I can hardly wait!!! I do not know when, he said it could be up to 4-6 weeks to hear from insurance. So ASAP as far as I am concerned!!! I have a vacation planned mid May, so hoping to get it done before then to be honest! I am anxious, but also not really wanting to wear the compression garment all summer long in 100+ heat!!! Sounds a bit un comfy!!!

I am like you, I do not technically diet now----I eat all things, just less of them, which is what I wanted. I love the way I can eat right now. I am able to maintain without worrying about it. I forget to eat if I get busy---I never EVER would have imagined that! If I could be rid of this stomach----I would be happy right where I am. If I lose more weight with the TT---I would not complain....but I am not going to work towards that. I am able to buy clothes in most any store now, I accomplished my biggest goal, which was to regain some of my health and get off the meds I was on for blood pressure, and blood sugar, cholesterol---I was on 'em all, and now take zero prescription meds! So...I feel successful----and really happy, but I seriously want the belly GONE!!

Kat

Kat, that is fabulous. God if I could get to 186, that would put me in a size 14. You go girl! You rock. Let me know how you do okay.

Occasionally it catches me by surprise----sitting in the recliner, and I have all this room in the chair---I used to sit ON it....now I sit IN it with lots of room----amazes me!!! Now if I could get this surgery-----I would be one happy camper!!! Will definitely keep ya in the loop!!! Hoping to hear this week.

Kat

Kat, I just got approval from my insurance company on Friday. I'm so excited! I see the PS on Thursday and should get my surgery date at that time. I had the lap band surgery on 3/31/06 and have lost 85 lbs. I now weight 115. I will get the extended TT (although my PS would like to see me get the lower body lift. My back isn't bad, but my bottom is horrid. Keep us informed on your insurance status. That was the hardest part, the wait for approval.

Cheryl

Oh I know Cheryl---the mail delivery comes, and I hold my breath----still no news....the wait continues...

Congrats on the weight loss. We were banded about the same time. My back is not bad, my butt not bad----very, very minor sagging. But it was not my problem area as for carrying my weight either, my problem was my stomach---and it shows!! My surgeon recommended a TT. At this point if insurance would cover just the pannectomy---or whatever just to remove the skin---I would go for that. It is interfering in my movement to work out---and it is causing tears in the skin---just a pain all the way around!!! I am so impatient. I want it done yesterday!!!

Keep us posted what your PS says!!

Kat

Hi Kat,

I met with the plastic surgeon yesterday. She said I needed an extended Tummy Tuck. We also spoke about a breast lift with implants, a thigh lift and my arms being done. She will only have to have an incision under my arm pit and not down the side of the arm which I was happy about. They submitted everything to insurance so I am waiting to hear. I am hoping they will pay for my tummy tuck. We will see. I will not know the cost until later in the week.

My mail already came today, and nothing from insurance---I am getting so antsy!!!!

Did you like the surgeon? Is this a procedure she has done a lot of?

I keep thinking I might ought to have ask about putting the girls back up where they belong---but might look into it as a reduction when the rest is all done.....

Keep my posted as to what is going on! My insurance is notoriously slow.......is always that way! Going to give it another few days and call insurance I think---I just want to know!

Kat

Kat, I hear you. My insurance hasn't responded yet so I have no idea what is going on. They are going to try and have the TT covered but truthfully I don't think plastic surgery is covered under my plan which I called on. I am hoping she is roughly $10k or so for a Tummy Tuck and breast augmentation which I could afford. The hospital is under my insurance plan so they should cover 100$ plus the anaestesia. Let me know what happens!