Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To all of you SLOW LOSERS!!

I felt the need to share this...my weight loss journey has gone something like this...

February 2006---218------CONSULTATION

March 13, 2006--207-----SURGERY DAY!!! YEAHHHHHH!!

April 2006--------198

May 2006--------193

November 2006---190

December 2006---187

January 2007-----190

March 2006-------189

July 2006---------190

MARCH 2008------165

Thats right ladies and gentlemen...it took me two years to lose some serious weight!! Look at how I stayed right around 190 for over a year!

DONT LOSE HOPE TURTLES...IT HAS TO HAPPEN EVENTUALLY!! KEEP TRYIN'!

b4front.jpg100_4342.jpg

Thanks so much!!!!

I needed to see this. My ticker isn't updated below (i've lost about 22 lbs total), but I've been in a holding pattern since the first 2 weeks after surgery. I go up and down the same 2 lbs. It has been frustrating. Especially since I'm exercising also, and eating much less than pre surgery, although I can still eat too much. I've had 2 fills, but I need another one - we are going conservative on the fills, because right after surgery I had to have an unfill because I was way too tight.

Anyway, this just lets me know not to give up. To keep exercising. Keep eating less, get my fills, and eventually the weight will come off....not everyone loses 30-50 lbs in 3 months, unfortunately!

thanks jack!!!

and kimmi,

hang in there. there were several times over the years when i asked myself if i had made a mistake. i truly felt like this was not working for me. i knew that i was eating MUCH less food, but the weight just stayed there. well, i guess if you just keep eating the smaller, healthier portions, your body will eventually be FORCED to respond. i just got my fill on wednesday, and i have dropped a couple more pounds. i get more and more excited each day because i am so close to goal now. each pound seems like so much more of an accomplishment!

keep the faith in your band...she will come around.

I remember how much I used to HATE hearing that it would take 'at least' a year to lose some serious weight, especially if you are a lower bmi like me.

But our bodies are all so different.

I had learned also that our bodies have a setpoint from the years of dieting and likes to hover around a weight that we have kept for longer periods of time.

It is like a body memory somehow.

It is hard to break out of. But if you can maintain a weight, within 5 pounds for 3 to 6 months, you re set the setpoint.

I learned that doing Lindora which is a medically supervised weight loss program. I lost, gained and lost, gained all the 6 times I did Lindora.

At least I learned some things!!

Thanks for posting that Mini! It is so hard because I just want the weight to fall off but it is going slower than I wanted. You give me hope!!:lol:

I felt the need to share this...my weight loss journey has gone something like this...

April 2006--------198

May 2006--------193

November 2006---190

December 2006---187

January 2007-----190

March 2006-------189

July 2006---------190

MARCH 2008------165

Thats right ladies and gentlemen...it took me two years to lose some serious weight!! Look at how I stayed right around 190 for over a year!

b4front.jpg100_4342.jpg

April 2006--------198

May 2006--------193

November 2006---190

December 2006---187

January 2007-----190

March 2006-------189

July 2006---------190

MARCH 2008------165

b4front.jpg100_4342.jpg

You Go GIrl! :thumbup:Thank you for the post. It really helps to hear about the successes of other fellow slow losers. Even my husband and in-laws, who see how much less I am eating, are wondering why I am not loosing faster. My only consolation is that, now that I (finally) have good restriction, I have a tool in place to keep me from gaining it back.

April 2006--------198

May 2006--------193

November 2006---190

December 2006---187

January 2007-----190

March 2006-------189

July 2006---------190

MARCH 2008------165

b4front.jpg100_4342.jpg

So, did you do anything different? I am in the same boat you were. I had my surgery 1 year and 4 months ago. I have lost about 20 lbs. and bounce back and forth a few pounds. I have never felt like they got my fill right and insurance will not pay for my fills, so I have to pay out of pocket and can't afford to get another fill right now. I am very frustrated with the whole thing. Any advise you could give me would be helpful.

Thanks,

Laura

Thanks for posting that Mini-me. It helps to hear from other slow losers. I lost a stack of weight initially and then plateaued for 3 months. I have had my third fill and am finally seeing a little movement in the scales. woohoo

On the bright side, I have maintained my weight loss whereas without the band I know I would have gained it all back by now.

ok, so after all this time, i justnoticed that my dates are not correct. they are listed in chronological order, even though the years don't make it look that way. those last dates are actually from 2007! why cant i get in to edit the post???

So, did you do anything different? I am in the same boat you were. I had my surgery 1 year and 4 months ago. I have lost about 20 lbs. and bounce back and forth a few pounds. I have never felt like they got my fill right and insurance will not pay for my fills, so I have to pay out of pocket and can't afford to get another fill right now. I am very frustrated with the whole thing. Any advise you could give me would be helpful.

Thanks,

Laura

sorry it took me so long to respond. i did not even see this. i have not checked this thread in a long time.

i did not really do anything different. but i superstitiously believe that my wendy's small chili/small frosty had something to do with it. three times a week i got this for lunch. i doubt it really made the difference, but superstition is learned REALLY fast. i think my body just finally realized that it was time to let go of some of the fat. i firmly believe, now, that if we stick to the rules, our body's will eventually be forced to respond. i think when we give up and start eating around the band sabotages our efforts. if we just keep following the rules...

sorry it took me so long to respond. i did not even see this. i have not checked this thread in a long time.

i did not really do anything different. but i superstitiously believe that my wendy's small chili/small frosty had something to do with it. three times a week i got this for lunch. i doubt it really made the difference, but superstition is learned REALLY fast. i think my body just finally realized that it was time to let go of some of the fat. i firmly believe, now, that if we stick to the rules, our body's will eventually be forced to respond. i think when we give up and start eating around the band sabotages our efforts. if we just keep following the rules...

Okay, I keep hearing everyone talking about following "the rules". Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone please explain the rules so I can be sure to be on the same page as everyone else.

Mini Me - My starting weight was the same as yours, at 9mts, I was about the same weight you were. Looks like I'm gonna be your clone. This is so slow, I can't handle it. I'm eating less than 1000cals. a day, and only losing like 2 lbs a month. It's freaking ridiculous!

hey mango...it may seem ridiculous, but 2 lbs a month is 24 lbs, and after 2 years, that is 50 lbs, which should bring you pretty derned close to meeting a goal, right? i think 2 lbs a month is spectacular! congrats!

when i was losing, and i would hit a plateau, i would have a free day. i know that is a bad thing, but i really surprised myself with my behavior on my free days. while i ate more calories, and a very different kind of food from what my body was used to eating, i still made much healthier decisions than i did pre-banding. throwing the curve ball seemed to keep my body on track. granted, i have not lost much more since feb/march, i don't have all the answers. this is just what i noticed. there are some folks out there that would absolutely flame me UP for saying this.

Okay, I keep hearing everyone talking about following "the rules". Maybe I'm missing something. Can someone please explain the rules so I can be sure to be on the same page as everyone else.

"The Rules" -- they are out and about in various forms, but this is a good page: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f220/first-year-after-lap-band-surgery-58249/

Mostly it's the stuff you probably heard from your surgeon:

Eat 3 small meals a day + 1-2 Snacks. No grazing.

Make nutritious food choices

Eat Protein first, then veggies, then starches only if you have room

Don't drink with your meals or for 30 min after

Avoid caloric drinks

Drink 6-8 glasses of Water daily

Exercise for at least 30 min 3x a week

Chew til there's nothing left to chew ("Chew to Goo")

This was what I needed to hear so bad today. I am going in for my second fill tomorrow and I just thought that the doctor would be upset b/c I have only lost a few pounds since last month. I had my band done on 03/05/08 and I have lost around 22 lbs (10 before sgy and 12 since) and I have just stayed the same. I walk everyday. I was proud that I went to the Zoo with my son and did not feel like I was going to die from walking!!:thumbup: