Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Together? huband/wife at the same time

My DH & I are both working towards getting banded. I would love to hear from people who have done this as a team, with their partner.

Pros......Cons.....everything!!

Hi Sherri,

I got banded on 2/5 and my hub is being banded in May. We have different doctor's, so it's interesting going thru two different programs. He's had the luxury of seeing me do everything first, so he feels better prepared. ALL of our doctor's think it's great. I'm excited for him to get the surgery and catch up to me in the process. I think it's going to be wonderful for us. I anticpate there will be some con's...I'll let you know if/when we cross that bridge. Good luck to you and yours!!

Amy

Hello.

We are both banded...We didn't have it at the same time as we have three little kids and needed one parent to be able to hold, carry etc.

Dh had it down in April and I had mine done in July. Thus far we have both lost a considerable amount...Dh is at about 80lbs and I am at 91. It's helpful in that we can eat the same foods and therefore we don't have any disagreements as to what to make for dinner etc... Also, because we both have bands, we save a ton of money when we order takeout. We very often share a meal (crazy!!!) We can get take out chinese (shrimp chow mein w/o rice works best for us!) for under $7...

and we'll eat it for lunch the next day too.

Cons...well...we are both overweight for different reasons. dh's family are all overweight so it is all he knows...I had healthy role models and was the only fat person in my family....so I know a healthier way. Does that make sense? So for me, it seems like he needs to just get over his issues with food. I don't understand them. Also, it's a huge blow to him that I was banded after him and have lost more weight.

But...this has been the best investment in our lives...our kids are better for it as are we (and our sex life!!!)

Best of luck!!!

Rain

IF you can get it done together that seems to be most beneficial. You go through everything together, pre op diet, post op diet, fills, etc.

Please understand, I'm only going by what I've read here. My husband is a bean pole.

Banded 2 years apart, but it is very helpful. DH was first. He's like the food police. But that's a good thing. Well, it's not so much the food he polices, it's reminding me to take smaller bites and chew better. Although I haven't had many issues yet, he reminds me that with better restriction I will have so I need to practice now.

My wife and I were banded a week a part. We have both been doing good. It will be six months next week for her and the following week for me. We have come a long way with this and it's is one the best things we did for each other. Just like Rainer said it is amazing on how you can save money when it comes to eating out and buying food. We do share things often. I have even notice we take a lot of the food gome with us. I even notice if I get a sandwich now I hardley eat the bread. Good Luck if you have any questions just ask.

Chris

My wife and I were banded on the same day on 9-12-07.

Since her sister lives with us they allowed us to have it done on the same day since we would have someone to drive us home.

We stayed overnight and shared a hospital room and waved each other as we got up at different times to use the restroom and walk around.

We have been each other best friends for so many years why not do it together.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

My husband and I were banded the same day in Tijuana on October 10. Our kids are grown and out of the house, so it is just the two of us. It makes it so much easier that we are both on the same page about eating out, grocery shopping, even comparing scars. We have our own little private support group, as my daughter was banded a year before we were. The two of us have each lost about 60 lb since our surgery. He had an easier recovery from the surgery, but I have had an easier time getting a good level of restriction and losing weight. We are very glad we are not pulling each other in opposite directions over meals and exercise. Unless you have small children to take care of and no other family members to help you through the first week post op, then I highly recommend doing it together. (I always start to say we were banded together, then I have this image of the two of us shackled at the neck and ankles together . . . .but enough about our marriage :)

WOW...so many husband/wife weight loss teams!!

Congrats to everyone on your amazing progress and thank you for sharing all of your experiences with me.

We do have a small child, a son who is almost 4, so we couldn't do it on the same day...but within a few weeks would be fine it sounds like.

:biggrin2: I can't wait!!

My best friend did it about 14 months ago. Her husband was so impressed with her success and so unhappy with himself, he's going to do it in May. They have two elementary school age children who are both overweight. It's getting miserable for them, so they want to be good role models for their kids while they are still impressionable. Both of them watching their weight will also help the kids make better food choices as a result. For them, it's a family affair. I'm so proud of them for doing this and thinking of the future for their kids. I'm reading so many articles these days about childhood obesity and diabetes. they are even discovering that little children can have high cholesterol!! My hat is off to them to prevent their children from suffering weight related diseases. THAT is true love.

indeed it is!

Our son is the driving force behind our desire to get banded. We know how easy it will be for him to follow in our footsteps, and we don't want that!!

I wish so badly that my husband would have done this with me. It's very hard for him to understand how important my Dr.s diet is. For example, he brought home shrimp this afternoon from fish restaurant and was like "here, these won't hurt you"! UGH!!! These were the biggest butterflied shrimp I ever seen. My eyes filled with tears and of course like a man he was like "what did I do wrong now". :cursing:Be so glad that he is willing to do this with you, I think it's great and envy all couples on here that do it together!