Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Both excited and nervous in Oregon

Hello...I have been lingering on these boards for awhile now, but this is my first post!!

I am scheduled to have my first consult w/Dr Tersigni in Coos Bay on March 12th...I have been reading these boards, so I feel educated as of what to expect BUT I am wanting to ask if anyone out there has ANY regrets of getting this done???

I feel like this is finally my answer after years of unsuccessful dieting and feeling like a failure...Also I am just praying that insurance will cover this..

I have Fed BCBS..Dr Tersigni's nurse said that they are one of the easiest to get covered by.

Also, my BMI is 39..I know my chances for getting approved are so much higher if it's 40..so yes, I am trying to gain a few (never done that before!!)

This is getting long...I just wanted to introduce myself and maybe make some friends on this journey...

nortone, good for you for taking control!! the band is a great tool to help us succeed. as you know it takes work and don't let others tell you different. you made a great choice and i know i have as well. i have bcbs anthem and am a 34.5 bmi and i was approved first round. i believe if you have a good patient advocate your insurance hoop is a lot easier to jump thru. i am 44 and have fought it all my life. run 2-3 miles 3xweek, eat healthy, but i eat too much. i am glad to have a tool that will work. i am excited for you, it really is a gift. good for you and keep us all posted. g2s

Hi, I live in Bandon and have gone to the same Dr. I have been fighting with the insurance for about 2 years. I keep getting turned down. I'm about 100 pounds over weight and have many medical issues. So, my sister-in-law and I are going to Mexico to be banded. She too has been fighting they will pay for gastric but not the band. She wants the band. So, we felt we have no choice. We just can't afford to have it done here in the USA. Wish we could. I hate paying for insurance and never use it. We will be having it done on March 11th. Good luck to you and let me know how it goes for you.. Cendee

Congratulations! I feel certain that you will really like all the staff at

Dr. Tersigni's office. Robin has so many people in her family that have

been banded, including her husband.

I hope your insurance pays for fills as well. If they do, you might want to go to Kelly Fitzpatrick. She is a lot closer to you. She has an office in Portland and Eugene.

My cousin had Dr. Tersigni do her gastric bypass surgery in Coos Bay about four years ago. She was and continues to be very pleased with his entire program. I am having my surgery tomorrow in Southern Oregon. Wish me luck!

I was banded by Dr Tersigni 15 days ago. He's wonderful and so is his staff. I've lost 16 lbs in just 2 weeks! Good luck to you!

HI Norton,

I have bccs gov basic option and have a bmi of 42. I just got approved in like 7 days. I am so excited. I am scheduled for march 31. I just wanted to tell you that if you have 2 other issues going on like high blood pressure, diabetes or sleep apnea they will aprove on a lower bmi. good luck hang in there . It took me 1 and 1/2 yrs to get to this point.

New Beginnings

Yay! A lot of happy Dr. Tersigni patients here! I wish everyone lived close enough to come to the support groups. I get tired of there being so many gastric bypass patients and hardly any band patients. It would be so cool

to have the people I "meet" here to come to support group.

Hi I'm so excited I to went to Dr.Tersigni He is so wonderful and the staff is great. I havent met anyone else who has been banded let alone with Dr. Tersigni. So I got overly excited when you said Dr Tersigni. I was banded on April 30 2007. I have had two fills and one unfill and i have lost 96lbs i go back in 2 weeks for another fill. Good luck to you! hope to here from you.

Thank you everyone...One more week until my consult...I think my BMI is close to 40 now...and I found out I have some shoes that weigh almost 4lbs!!

So I think I will make BMI and be approved...I hope so!!!

Shannon-I am so glad to hear from you!!! Your weight loss is awesome!!!

I would love to hear more of your story...PM me anytime!!! There is also

"athinnerdenise" on here that was banded by Dr. Tersigni...do you live close to Coos Bay?? I don't...4 hour drive, but I hear such great things about him,I think it's worth it!!!

I feel so lucky to be only 5 minutes from Dr. Tersigni. Like I said, I wish all of you could come to the support groups. He's so great. He will come to the support group every so often just to answer questions.

Shannon you are so lucky you have lost so well on such few fills. I am debating on whether or not I need a tiny one to get me down to my goal weight.

Norton, I live 2 hours away from coos bay. I to would love to chat with you sometime.

Denise, Wow! you are so close to your goal that is awesome. How many fills have you had? my last fill was to tight that i couldn't keep any thing down so He emptied my band completely. I go back march 17 to get a fill.

I have had a lot of fills. I actually lost count. I had the same problem with being overfilled. I lost 13 lbs that one month that I was overfilled. I got the fill on a friday, and Monday I had some taken out, but not enough. I was throwing up in my sleep. It was horrible. I would be sound asleep, and all of a sudden,water would rush up into my mouth. I tried waiting it out to see if would loosen on it's own , but it didn't. I lived on egg flower Soup and Protein drinks that whole month.

I would probably say between fills and unfills, I have probably have had 6 fills? I know I am very lucky to be so close to his office. I can actually get there from my house in less than 5 min. I go to support group every month, and Robin has helped me decide if I need another one.

I thought I did need one, but then last night I got stuck on my dinner so I am not getting another one.I have good restriction.

I think the reason I am having trouble getting the last little bit is

1. my age

2. I take hormones

3. It's always harder to lose the last little bit.

I worked out with my trainer today, and he helped with some ideas on how to break a plateau.

Hi my name is charlene, congratulations you are on your way in becoming the woman you have probably been dreaming of being. This is also my first time on. You are the first person I have made contact with.I had my lap band done,and let me tell you I was scared out of my mind. But I figured It was worth a try,I was more afraid of having a heart stroke,with all the weight I had on me. Don't be afraid. Be happy that you are doing something about it.Good luck, If you need someone to talk to,guide you,support you,I'm a click away!