Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Joys of PCOS!

Hi Everyone-

I am new to this board and was told by my insurance they would cover the Lap Band. I am just waiting on the official paperwork so I can get started with the psych eval and nutritionist.

First I want to say how glad I am to find a group of PCOSers here and how inspiring all of your posts are for me. I feel like I have some hope for the first time in a LOOONNNGGG time!

A few questions:

Did/do you still take Metformin after LapBand? Is it hard to get down? I have been on Met for 2 years and don't feel like it has helped at all. I wonder if I should stop or if it will be more effective once I have the Lap Band?

My other question is about facial hair. I am one of the lucky ones who has the full beard going on. It is so hard for me and I cry most days as I shave. Does it get better with the weight loss? Once I lose the weight, get the hormones under control, should I have laser?

Thank you all so much!! So glad to have found you!

Sharon

Hi Everyone-

I am new to this board and was told by my insurance they would cover the Lap Band. I am just waiting on the official paperwork so I can get started with the psych eval and nutritionist.

First I want to say how glad I am to find a group of PCOSers here and how inspiring all of your posts are for me. I feel like I have some hope for the first time in a LOOONNNGGG time!

A few questions:

Did/do you still take Metformin after LapBand? Is it hard to get down? I have been on Met for 2 years and don't feel like it has helped at all. I wonder if I should stop or if it will be more effective once I have the Lap Band?

My other question is about facial hair. I am one of the lucky ones who has the full beard going on. It is so hard for me and I cry most days as I shave. Does it get better with the weight loss? Once I lose the weight, get the hormones under control, should I have laser?

Thank you all so much!! So glad to have found you!

Sharon

Hi Sharon, it's nice to meet you! I a lucky PCOSer too!

I actually didn't take metformin before I had the surgery. I went years untreated, which was probably a big mistake. I went to an Endo back in November and she put me on Actos plus Metformin, apparently it's both medicines in one pill. I have to take my pill at night because I am sooo tight in the mornings. I usually cut it up into about 3 pieces too! If you cut it up, just make sure you don't have the time-released pills. I really feel like the Actos Metformin has helped with my weight loss a lot.

I am also blessed with facial hair :eek:. I shave everyday and it can be soooo depressing. From what most people have said, it may get a little better as you lose weight, but it probably won't stop all the way. There are a few who have gotten laser hair removal and that seems to be our best bet! Once I make it to goal, I am definitely getting laser hair removal!!

Good luck with your surgery and nice to meet you!

Hi. I am about 3 months away from getting the lap band. I too have a full on beard and have to shave probably more than my husband. You are not alone. I too wonder about symptoms going away after surgery.

ladies!!!! much hugs!!!! *:drool:* i too have been blessed with the sideburns,mustache, and FULL beard! its the worst thing ever. but as i read your posts, it is WORTH (saving up or pay by session) getting laser hair removal. i've had only one treatment, and already i see the difference. :cursing:

I was on me for 4 years prior to being banded. I went off my Met about 6 months after I had my op. I think it was far more effective as I lost weight.

Thanks for the messages everyone! Guess what came today?? A letter saying my insurance officially approved me!!! Yipppeee!!! The nurse will call in the next day or two to start setting up my appointments.

I can't wait to get this thing going and finally see some success, get my periods back (never thought I would be wishing for that!!), maybe start ovulating/become fertile, get laser hair removal, etc! It will be a whole new life.

I have an amazing husband, a perfect little girl, and a happy life. This will just complete the package for me! I am so excited!

let my first say i CANNOT believe there is PCOS feed on here...

i am only 18 and take metformin everyday. it hasnt really made a difference with me but the doc says when i lose weight it will work better...

i got laser on my mustache (ahh) and it worked brilliantly!

you have to go a couple a sessions (and true my parents paid for it-50 to 75 $ a session) but i think it is worth it. especially if you have to shave everyday...i couldn't even imagine.

Thanks for the messages everyone! Guess what came today?? A letter saying my insurance officially approved me!!! Yipppeee!!! The nurse will call in the next day or two to start setting up my appointments.

I can't wait to get this thing going and finally see some success, get my periods back (never thought I would be wishing for that!!), maybe start ovulating/become fertile, get laser hair removal, etc! It will be a whole new life.

I have an amazing husband, a perfect little girl, and a happy life. This will just complete the package for me! I am so excited!

Congratulations, hon! That is great news! You are on your way! :lol:

Hey fellow PCOS'ers

Before getting banded I was on metformin. Hated it and went off of it and went on a natural pill called insulite. I loved it and it worked great for PMS like symptoms ie; mood swings, food cravings etc.

When I got banded back in August I could no longer take insulite. they are big capsules and you take 17 a day with a big glass of Water.

I've lost 50 pounds and I do have a regular cycle now and no longer have Migraines, but the facial hair has not lessoned.

I did laser hair removeal for 9 months about 6 years ago. It was great while I was being treated but when I stopped all of the hair came back.

Another side effect of banding, that alot of women get, is loss of head hair, this is scary for us PCOS'ers that already have thinning hair. This lasted for me about 5 months and I am just now getting new growth. So don't panic if this happens to you.

By far getting banded was the best decission. But just losing weight does not "cure" PCOS. You still want to eat a healthy lower carb diet.

Good Luck,

Rebecca