Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To those that survived the "protien shakes" preop...

Which one was your favorite? I am the type of person that gags at nasty things and the slim fast shakes gross me out. I start my pre-op diet in a week and am looking for the best type/flavor/hints and help from those of you that survived the pre-op diet:biggrin2:

I'm on the Protein Shake preop diet now (started wed.) until my surgery this coming thursday. Not really sure if I can help as to what kind you would like. I'm drinking the Isopure premixed drinks but I have noticed that even those still leave a chalky after taste in my mouth. The list of what kinds I can have is limited because they can only have 3-6 grams of sugar and the slimfast drinks contain more. I'm basically just sucking it up for the week and dealing with them. The only other thing I can have is Water. Just try some different ones and see if you like any of them. Good Luck!

There are quite a few threads devoted to Protein shakes. Go look at the food section of the forum and you will see some.

That said, a tasty trick for most shakes is to blend them with ice in a blender (they usually taste way better when extremely cold and frothy). As well you can buy flavored syrups (DaVinci is one brand) that are sugar free, calorie free and fat free that you can add to improve and mix up the flavor. I have tried the raspberry and amarreto (almond) flavors and found them both great. DaVinci has a website so you can look up locations in your area or order them online.

Good Luck!! :eek:

I REALLY like Extreme smoothies by VHT. a 12oz can has 170 Cal, 35 grams Protein, and 6 Carbs. I've only tried the chocolate flavor, but it is really really good, almost like chocolate milk lol. The only issue is that I cant get them locally. The only place I've found them in Alabama in at the Apothocary at the Hospital where I had surgery. Today I found I was able to order them online, so that a positive.

There's a gazillion flavors on the Internet and we all have very different tastes when it comes to these drinks--I always say try to find a site where you can buy samples or just one pound at a time to try (i.e. Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, books, DVDs & more ).

I totally agree with you regarding the canned shakes--they are good for one thing only: convenience! Other than that they taste tinny and nasty! I did buy a case of Zoic which I use in a pinch (for travel) and it actually tastes worse than Slim Fast--BUT it has less calories, fat and carbs and more Protein than Slim Fast.

Give me the Protein powder any day--I mix my belgian chocolate up with Water and it tastes fabulous to me!! (from the above website--with free shipping)

Again, everyone has their own tastes! :angry: