Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

military wives from hampton roads

Hey... I'm Angie..husband is in the Navy. I'm trying to get banded at Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, but the wait is 6mos long... anyone else have problems there/solutions?

I had a referral to Portsmouth, but I was told the waiting list to actually get the surgery was several years long. So, I called around and asked around and was finally led to NN WLSC. I called them and I was told that if I was not referred to them, that the only way to get any coverage was to go TriCare Standard. Now, with Standard, there is a deductible to meet and some out-of-pocket expenses. For me, this is a life and death situation. I would rather pay some out-of-pocket, than possibly dying before I get the surgery with Portsmouth. I go for my first seminar at the NN WLSC on the 13th and I am very excited to get this ball rolling!

I just got banded last week at Portsmouth Naval Hospital after waiting 11 months. They did an awesome job and was worth the wait. I would start the referral process through your PCM and see how long it takes to get scheduled for the PNH seminar. It is truly a blessing and worth all the effort pre-op. I have heard great things about WLSC as well so you have two options to consider.

I am another Navy wife up in Newport NEws. I actually went to a Civi doctor. I went through the weight loss surgery center of Hampton Roads. My dr. was Dr. Clark. I have been very happy with my results so far and everyone working in that center. The total time from start to finish was about 3 months

Erinshel, How long did it take you to get answer from Tricare? I am waiting on my psych eval to be sent to WLS and I am trying to be banded at the end of May.

Oh okay that is a pretty good time frame. I hope I am able to get banded at the end of May if they can get my psych eval done in a timely manner. Thanks for the information. How much weight have you lost since being banded and do you have any tips or advice you can give me???

Hi I just went to my PNM seminar yesterday. Can you tell me anything about how the process went for you.

I am new to this site. I just went to my seminar at Portsmouth Naval Hospital yesterday and I am looking for others who are getting started on there journey here in Hampton Roads. And I would really love any feed back from others that have already had the lapband. :biggrin:

I am new to this site. I have scheduled my appointment for Feb. 9th to see my PCP and hopefully get some answers. I am 140 pounds overweight, but I do not have major medical conditions because of the weight. I am not sure if that will disqualify me for the Lap-Band. I sure hope not! I have struggled with my weight for 18 years & I am ready to LIVE! Anyways..Anyone with Tricare Prime going through this or already gone through it..I am wondering what the process is? I REALLY do not want to have the surgery preformed at Portsmouth or any other Military Facility. But is that a requirement to have it done or can you be referred to a civi? Sorry for all the questions..I am just very anxious & cannot wait for my appointment!!

I am new to this site. I have scheduled my appointment for Feb. 9th to see my PCP and hopefully get some answers. I am 140 pounds overweight, but I do not have major medical conditions because of the weight. I am not sure if that will disqualify me for the Lap-Band®. I sure hope not! I have struggled with my weight for 18 years & I am ready to LIVE! Anyways..Anyone with Tricare Prime going through this or already gone through it..I am wondering what the process is? I REALLY do not want to have the surgery preformed at Portsmouth or any other Military Facility. But is that a requirement to have it done or can you be referred to a civi? Sorry for all the questions..I am just very anxious & cannot wait for my appointment!!

Hi There..

I am retired military... 20 years, female... after retiring with lupus and athritis.. the weight was one battle I couldn't fight...

Tricare Standard paid... total out of pocket this year $3000.

I told the kids, if they want to get sick, this is the year:thumbup:

It is more time consuming.. if you meet the criteria, you get approved....100 pounds "ideal" weight and a comorbidity....

For me.. my "ideal" weight was last seen in 4th grade... so I am going to be OK with losing only 60... the whole kit and kaboodle will be a bonus...

The only thing Tricare wanted was a negative H-pylori, heart eval and lung eval, and TSH test for thyroid.....

It went well... I was banded last Tuesday.... so, 2 Sep 09 for the seminar to 26 Jan 10 for surgery....

BTW... lost four pounds since Tuesday with no hunger.... it is already worth it....

Jennifer

Hey... I'm Angie..husband is in the Navy. I'm trying to get banded at Portsmouth Naval Medical Center, but the wait is 6mos long... anyone else have problems there/solutions?

I had refferal and did in NN only like 2 week wait