Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medical Mutual Insurance?

Did any of you have medical mutual insurance?

I was told today that I must have a 6 month supervised weight loss attempt before I can be banded. Was that your experience?

Have you used the Advanced Search option to see if there are any threads with a match on this insurance company name? I had Aetna and I found lots of support under the Insurance forum thread. Good luck.

P.S. Advanced Search button is kind of hidden on this web site --upper right hand corner above the New Hope Bariatrics advertisement box. Pretty hard to find but its a good search engine.

The other Search (Google) button goes out and searches outside this web site which didn't help me at all.

I have ohio med and had to do the 6 month weight loss program. I started june and completed my program in december. My case then had to have a final review before the bariatric surgery committee at OSU and was approved by them on 1/22. They didn't send the information requesting approval for the lapband to my insurance company until 2/6. As I was waiting for insurance approval I had to have four weeks of dietary counseling for the diet I will be following after surgery. I got my insurance approval on 2/21 and finished my dietary counseling on 2/22. Then I had to wait for OSU to schedule me to see a surgeon. I was just notified this morning that my appt. is 3/25. From what I understand they usually schedule surgery 2-4 weeks following the surgeons appt. It has been a really long wait, but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I have had alot of time to read about the band and educate myself for what is to come. I felt very fortunate that I got approved the first time around. Good luck with your journey, believe me, time really flies and 6 months will pass before you know it.

I have Medical Mutual and have to have the 6mth supervised diet.

I have my appt with Dr. Currys office this upcoming Wednesday.

Im goin to call their office tomorrow and see if I bring in documentation..like receipts from Weight WAtchers, My diet logs, receipts from my workout place, receipts where I bought Richard Simmons etc. If they sent that in IF IF IF IF they would knock some time off the 6mth. Not sure if they will but its worth a shot. Of course Dr. Currys office might just say Medical Mutual wont have it ...and I have to do the full 6mth process.

So I'll let you know more after Wednesday what they say.

When I went to my meeting the insurance girl at Currys office told me she deals Medical Mutual alot and that the BMI requirement is 40. My husbands Union Hall told me it was 45. SO...who knows...I'll find out more this week.

I submitted reciepts and weight loss information from my health club, richard simmons on-line, weight watchers, nutrisystem, e-diets and curves. None of this helped to reduce the 6 month physician supervised weight loss program that Ohio med requires. I assume they didn't accept these since these weight loss efforts weren't supervised by a physician. Ohio med requires a BMI of 40 or 35 with at least two co-morbidities. I just met their requirements with a BMI of 40. I attended a pre-bariatric program at my local hospital, two back to back 12 week sessions that included a dietician, exercise physiologist and cardiac nurse. I also saw my GP monthly for weigh in and there were specific guidelines for what they needed to include in their progress notes.

The time really passed fast and I finally have an appt. with my surgeon on 3/25 to set my surgery date.

Don't let the 6 month wait intimidate you, the time will fly by!!