Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Hi all,

Glad to see it wasn't just me not able to get in yesterday. I kind of had a bit of a panic attack thinking I wouldn't have this resource.

Fenton, I did plenty of moving yesterday. I went with my husband to look at motorcycles and tried on a couple myself. I recently took a rider saftey course and went and got my license. So pretty soon I'm going to need a sexy bike to go with the new sexy me. LOL

Then we went to our weekend place and checked on it. Recent rains had the river up and we wanted to check on how close it got to the house and make sure it didn't get in the shed (where I had left my current bike). All was well there. We are about to add some windows to this place so we took measurements. Checked all my bird feeders.

We left there and when we got back to town we went to order the windows, then went by the drug store to pick up a few things before going home. So I was up and out and about most of the day.

I have not taken any pain meds. No gas pain, but I do have that brick in my chest when I try to take in the shakes. I haven't taken in the Protein shakes until today. I was told Clear liquids the first two days so that's all I did. juice, clear broth, Water, ice helped to satisfy the chewing crunching thing.

I will probably go out to my shop and do some quilting today. But that is with a long arm machine so I'm on my feet and moving the entire time.

I agree that moving is key.

T

Cathyl, that indeed sounds yicky, and like something worth keeping an eye on. It's not unusual to get a bit of discharge from a wound like that, but if it was white it doesn't sound that much like true infected pus.

But I figure if the wound stays tender, if it gets red and firm, if it starts to ooze bad-smelling green pus, or if you start to feel ill, it would be worth getting someone to have a look at it sooner rather than later.

Butterflylady: I think it's safe to say that when dogfood commercials on the TV are making you hungry, it's time to turn off the TV and go outside!

Texas, it sounds as if you're going to be giving Harleygirl a run for her money...

HEY EVERYONE!!!!!

Well I think easter is going to be ok.....I went to a friends house the other night who is banded also and she made some amazing potato Soup with some chunks of sausage in it and i had some slices of apples and a strawberry and a slice of cheese and it all went down great I just chewed really really good so I am going to try some soft solids again today and see how that goes if it goes well again i am just going to eat the food that day and prove to her that my life is not based on Protein shakes and that i can eat reg food so HAHAHAHA to the evil sister in law that i DO want to just punch sometimes......

Well i will let you all know how today goes and what I am going to do about tomorrow...

Much love to all my march bandsters!!!

I am 5 days post op, am i getting enough liquid in me I've been drinking about 10 oz of Isopure, 20 oz of Water with special k Protein pink lemonaide Protein powder, and today i had about 3 oz of chicken broth. so around 25 g of Protein. I feel a little light headed and dont have no energy.

I'm still getting the shoulder pain do u think thats cuz im drinking too fast.

I have no idea if im hungry or not. My belly is growling and my mouth wants to eat. I was thinking a big mac sounds good. so far ive left the dog food alone.

Frances, I think that being able to hang out - and cook/eat with - a banded friend is a great advantage! I'm sure the two of you will be able to spur each other along...

Rhonda, the best way to tell if you're getting enough Fluid is by how much you're peeing. Ideally, if you're getting plenty of Water, you should be peeing quite a lot of pale urine. The less frequently you have to go, and the darker your urine, the better it would be to increase your Water intake.

It sounds to me like you're not getting in enough Protein. Lack of energy can have many causes, other than poor nutrition, but I think most of us are encouraged by the doctors to aim for a Protein intake of at least 50 - 60 grams per day. Go below that for too long, and if you're not taking in much in the way of calories, eventually your body will begin to cannibalize its own Proteins. And that might be OK for a few days, but eventually you'll be come weaker and lose hair etc.

So I think it'd be a good idea to increase your protein. One of those pre-mixed Isopure 20 ounce drinks holds 40 g of protein - polish one of those off and you're almost there! Add a Slimfast Optima, and you'll hit 50g.

Now, if that's all you've taken in, you've hit your protein intake requirement, but only taken in less than 400 calories. You've got a bit of room in there to take more in - ideally some more protein.

And if you're drinking too fast, slow down a bit! There's really no hurry.

Not urinating much at a time is common because of all the pressure from surgery but just keep going a little at a time. If you can't urinate its worrisome. But if you are urinating and increasing your liquids will help, you should be increasing the output each time too. It will get easier. Walking helps too. I try to urinate, walk, and then urinate again. Try urinating before you feel a lot of pressure and give it time just don't strain. When you strain you make things swell more and then it makes it more difficult to urinate. A viscious circle. Drink, walk and relax. Take care and good luck

Just checking in with my fellow March bandster family. I've not been frequenting the board to the same problems other people have mentioned - very slow load times, etc.

It sounds like everyone is doing well for the most part! I am so glad to be a part of such a positive and goal-oriented group! I've heard over and over that having a support group is vital to this process. Between the people I interact with here and those of you that I'm connected with at myspace, I'm starting to understand and believe in support groups more and more.

I've bought some new clothes, mainly pants with drawstrings at the waist to be able to cinch as my weight continues to drop.

I'm still on full liquids for two more weeks. Thankfully, my mother surprised me with some Tom Yum Goong (Thai Spicy & Sour broth with shrimp) today. Right when I think I'm going to eat one of my pets, my mother or husband find just the thing that takes the mind hunger away.

My husband bought a stepper for me. I like it - but - not as much as I like our stationary exercise bike. I've vowed to get in at least 30 minutes of active per day, so I break up my bike time in 15 minute intervals as I watch whatever has been saved on my DVR. :biggrin2:

The weather is getting better and better in Dallas, so walking twice a day will soon be added to this daily regimen.

I plan on taking some martial arts and bellydance classes in the future. For now, I'll just be purchasing a beginner's bellydance DVD and also finally OPENING the Biggest Loser Workout DVD that I've owned for a year but never used. :thumbdown:

I'd love to know what everyone is doing for exercise and activity. What and how often, etc.

well i do think i am peeing enough and it is a light color. I have a hard time slowing down with what i drink do u just get a small amount in your mouth just enough to swollow one time? I did drink a little chocolate milk today now im wondering about that since chocolate has caffine in it.

about exersize i joined the gym before surgery and was doing about 45 mins of exersize about 2-3 times per week and when the weather is nice i enjoy walking outside and walk about 1 mile. Walking outside coming home is a slow grade up hill so i think I was doing pretty good with exersize. Should be able to start that back in about a week.

Thanks for answering my questions I'll try not to be a pain and not act so stupid.

Well, it's still really cold in NYC - I'd like for it to get back up into the 50s before I start walking regularly. I've been walking to or from work - a mile - but it's not fun in the low 40's, so sometimes I've been skipping that.

I picked up one of those Linda Sansone DVDs, WALK YOURSELF THIN, or something. Basically, you have to walk along to Linda Sansone. It came with a peculiar belt-type thingy, attached to which are two handles tethered to your waist by a length of elastic; the idea is that as you walk along to Linda, you're pumping your fists up and down with gusto. The belt thingy is too small for me, but I guess I'll figure out a way to attach the elastic and handles to my own belt, so I can pump along with Linda and the other fit-walkers in her studio.

I shall open it tomorrow.

Maybe.

Edited by Fenton

Thanks for answering my questions I'll try not to be a pain and not act so stupid.

We are all learning here so your questions are not stupid, you just ask them before I do. You are also not a pain, your learning. Keep your chin up, wish I was as active as you. I am wearing myself out doing 30 minutes on the tredmill, @ no incline so you are doing well!!

We are all learning here so your questions are not stupid, you just ask them before I do. You are also not a pain, your learning. Keep your chin up, wish I was as active as you. I am wearing myself out doing 30 minutes on the tredmill, @ no incline so you are doing well!!

She is absolutely right! You are definitely not a pain! This is a learning process for all of us. I think by pooling our knowledge and asking others who have also walked this path, we are bettering ourselves. Don't ever be ashamed or afraid to ask a question, hon!

By the way!

Some folks have asked about a daily food journal. I have a notebook I've been using to jot down my food intake but I recently signed up for an online food diary. It helps to calculate your calories and activity.

They also have support groups there. I've seen a couple for those who are banded, too. :thumbdown:

So, for anyone interested, the website is: Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

I think it's going to be a very helpful tool. :biggrin2:

I also use the daily plate. I started using it at the beginning of my lapband journey. When I started 6 months ago some days i was eating 3000 calories. then I started watching what I ate and was losing 1-2 pounds a week and was eating around 1800-2000 calories a day. Then the pre-op diet started and was eating around 750 or less calories a day. Now I am getting less than 500 calories a day.

Hi all! I think that I am one of the last ones left to go, I have a banding date of 3/31! So close, yet so far. I am in preparation mode, making lists, buying supplies, things like that. I think that I am just trying to stay busy, because I am soooooo ready for this! I swear that this is going to be the longest week of my life!!!!! I can't wait to finally start posting about my progress. Nice to meet you all!