Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Scrappyfriend...congrats on losing 50 pounds!!! That is so awesome!

Congrats!

Christine

I'm in line waiting to get my seat on the roller coaster. This better be the thrill of a lifetime cuz I've been waiting for a long time.

I can remember being on a roller coaster and being scared for it to start. And thought about getting off at the last minute but I never did get off I just kept telling myself all these other people have been on it and no one has been hurt so I can do it too. So I held on tight and went for the ride. Back then I was too embarrassed to tell my friends how scared i was. But the older I get I voice my feelings more. :wink:

Scrappy, you don't have to tell your friends how scared you are. Either we are or we were, trust the decision you made. I do not have surgery until the 20th but I know I will be lifted up in prayer as you will be when you have your surgery. Voice your fears but come back and share because as we need those who have already been through surgery, others will need us to post our experiences also.

I think I missed my calling, I should have been a preacher:thumbup::smile:

So today I was off work, but that didn't mean I just stayed home. I did lots and stayed busy.

I have a call in to the Dr. I have this weird pulling below my port about 3-6". I'm hoping it's nothing and especially not an adhesion but I have no control over that. Anyone else have this?

We were banded the same day and I also have something like this. I assume that its because the port is stitched to the muscle and the muscle doesnt stop at the port site and when it contracts it pulls at the rest of the muscle and you get a tugging sensation a bit further down the same muscle.

Well, the surgery center FINALLY called me to let me know what time to be there in the morning. 7:30 and my surgery starts at 8:30. It doesn't seem real that it's finally here! Yikes, nerves are really starting to kick in. I was thinking the only good part will to be off the pre-op diet, but from what I've been reading here, the pre-op diet is uber cuisine compared to the post-op diet! Hopefully I won't be as hungry all the time though!

I'm planning on coming back to work on Friday so I'll post then (I live way out in BFE and there's no internet out there yet except the expensive satellite version that I'm too cheap for just so I can read my horoscope and log into this forum!)

Wish me luck and good Karma!

Good Luck Mom007!!! and Good Karma!!! :smile:

So I got a call today from my surgeon's office......they are switching over to the Realize Band and I will be one of the first two patients they use it in.....not sure how I feel about that. I have confidence in the surgeon, so I guess I'll just go for it.....any of you have the Realize or will be getting it?

SCRAPPY FRIEND

I hear what you are saying,,,I was thinking about cancelling my operation last week and asking for a refund,, The turning point for me was reading the post op from Fenton and other's.I needed another person other than my doc telling me that everything will be fine,Who better to tell you this than another shrinking shamrock.Iam still abit nervous but now i think it's more of a anxouis nervous then scared nervous.So try and relax and take your mind of it , I have decided to start a remodel of the laundry room tommorrow , so i don't think about the operation so much, and before you no it we, will be sitting at home with our bands in place enjoing a warm cup of broth and saying that wasn't so bad after all.

Something reassuring happened to me today'''My lapband surgeon Dr.Mumford called me today,I had a second pre-op appointment scheduled with him last week but could not make it due to work,,So

I thought I would not hear from him until the day of surgey,But he called ,from somewhere in the Caribbean where he is on vacation with his family.I thought that was a cool thing to do,takeing the time for me. It's very reassuring to know that he obviously cares about his patients well being. And will make time to have a chat ,no matter where he may be.So i got the rest of my Questions answered and the count down begins

6D-11HR'S-9MIN and counting

Is anyone here being banned at the SWLC in Mississauga, Ontario. Canada

Those Soups sound pretty tasty, but I have to say that I'm a bit wary of them. Those refried Beans may be fat free, but those other tasty ingredients represent a heckuva lot of starch and fat. I figure that'd be good for the occasional treat, but just because it's a liquid, doesn't mean it's great for you! Obviously, in the early post-op period, you need as much liquid as you can get in, but apparently you have to be careful with fatty foods.

Part of the band being a tool is that it gives us an opportunity to break from our old habits and start new ones. We have to be critical of what we're taking in, and making sure we're getting what we need - fluids, Protein, Vitamins. The delicious Mexican Soup, all riched-up with gooey melted cheese and slow-cooked Beans, will give a little bit of Protein in a good bit of calories; I think it's fine for the occasional delicious treat, particularly in the early days where your calorie intake isn't huge, but not too often!

I'm sorry to be a killjoy here, but - and maybe this is more relevant to me than to you guys - I think it's a good lesson that just because we have a noose on our stomach doesn't mean we can eat whatever we want!

While it isn't as delicioso, I suspect, as the Soup, I had a pretty delicious shake today made with lowfat pomegranate kefir and Protein powder. Kefir is a cultured milk, a bit like yogurt, thick and slightly tangy, that you can get at health food shops. It was rich, and the taste of the dairy was enough to completely camouflage the taste of the Protein Powder. SCORE!!!

I think that's pretty cool and reassuring. Most doctors will not interrupt their day much less vacation to check on a person much less someone who has not had surgery. Sounds like you are in good hands.

HarleyGirl - I'd be psyched for a new model band! The technique isn't that old, and the technology is just getting better and better...

I am also getting this new band. My doctor gave me the option and all the details, so I am going for the new band. it is made by Johnson & Johnson,

Hi all. I am March 26th too. I started fasting today and almost had second thoughts. I wasn't hungry at all just light headed and have a headache...I can't stand it. I just made sure I ate something every 2 hours. chicken broth, liquids, tea, Protein Shake. It helped but all and all it was a rough day. However, it's good to be able to talk about it and explain my feelings. Otherwise I might give up. I am dreaming of the prawn I bought a few days ago. Oh well maybe in a few months in moderation. I did take a nice walk today too. So, I am on the right track, just have to keep pushing. Oh, I also took a hot bath it helped. Good luck to all you March Banders! I am excited for you.

The Realize band has different post op requirements then the lap band. They shave about a week to 10 days off each phase. I know it was a bummer to read the information from the nutritionist and the realize info had folks progressing through the phases faster then me with the lap band. I remember thinking that while I was still sipping Protein drinks Realize folks would be starting solid food. No one could give me any reason for this except to say that it was the policy of the makers. :confused2:

I talked to the Dr (4:30pm)about the pulling below the port & he said it is common but if I felt I needed to have someone check I could come tomorrow. Trouble with that is I would have to leave/miss work and Im backed up as it is from not being there last week. I did have today off and could have seen him if he hadn't call me back 5min before he was leaving for the day.:smile:

So I figure if something is wrong i.e. port moved, muscle ripped, adhesion it can't be changed/fixed now so I might as well wait until post surgical follow up apt on the 21st. Im thinking it might be the extra tubing rubbing over the muscle or like Elsie suggested the muscle that has the stitching is complaining. Cathy I don't have staples. Who knows this is all new to me.

Im with Fenton on the watching what we eat, just because we can eat something doesn't mean we should.:wink2:right

ps for some reason my shamrock shrunk.

HarleyGirl - I'd be psyched for a new model band! The technique isn't that old, and the technology is just getting better and better...

I know....I just sorta feel like a guinea pig.....but what the heck, guinea pigs are kinda cute!

I am also getting this new band. My doctor gave me the option and all the details, so I am going for the new band. it is made by Johnson & Johnson,

What tipped your decision.....just curious!