Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soda..sometimes or NEVER???

Hello everyone!

I'm going in for surgery on wednesday February 27, 08 I'm soooo excited :lol:. I'm a little confused though because i was given different information by two different doctors. One doc said that after surgery i could never be able to drink soda. The other doc said an occasional cup of diet soda was ok :confused2:. Has any one post-op tried drinking diet soda?? If so how did it go??

Hello Yaz...I was told by my Bariatric Center NO SODA no way, no how unless it was flat. Reason being it's not nutrious at all, it's not a good resorce for hydration and if it's not diet it's loaded with calories but, mainly because the bubbles can expand the pouch created by the band. There really is no reason to drink it for me. I used drink Diet coke daily instead of Water. I loved the stuff...then knowing I was getting the band I stopped drinking it the minute I started the process. I haven't had soda since the beginning of November 2005 and I have to say I haven't missed it at all. I did in the beginning but, I knew it was for good reasons I was giving it up. Good luck with your surgery and welcome to bandland :lol:

I was also told no carbonation....although my surgery isn't until 3/18, I've gone cold turkey!

I'm okay with soda, but a little melancholy about beer.....

OK, So I can give up soda after I am banded, but I heard that caffeine is also a no-no. Is this only for the pre-op diet or will I have to give up coffee too?

they say to give up caffeine because it's a diaretic (spelling?) and since you have to drink slower and not with meals you may get less Fluid in so why make it a diaretic? I still have my ice coffee everyday with splenda but, I have it decaffinated. I still like it :)

it is my understanding that soda is a no no ever unless it is flat. I did take a sip of diet soda that I thought was flat and it was not, my stomach felt really funny afterwards. I understand that it expands the stomach and could move the band

Don't think you could get anymore addicted to Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr Pepper than me. Before marrying my hubby and moving to his native England, I said I wouldn't come unliess I could get Diet Dr Pepper. When we moved back to the States, each day was started with a 32 oz diet drink, then drank all day long.

After attending my seminar in January I gave them up cold turkey. Switched to tea, now I'm weaning myself off caffeine. Today was my first day, and wow do I have a headache. But if I can do it anyone can. I've done really good, and haven't cheated at all. Last weekend, though I DREAMT I was drinking a Diet Pepsi! Man, just imagine how deep in my psyche that addiction is!

I drink soda a few times a week. Yeppers, it should be diet but I haven't been able to do that yet.

But....I bet if I didn't drink soda I would have lost weight faster and would probably still be loosing.

It really wasn't stressed by my doctor, the pamphlet that was given did state no soda but nothing about caffeine. I drink both. I don't drink the soda a lot because it does bubble up and sometimes cause discomfort but I only drink Coke Zero and A&W diet rootbeer, more the rootbeer because it doesn't have as much fizz to it. As for coffee, tea anything like that, I don't avoid it at all. If I do drink it though I only have sweetener in it...no creams or anything like that to keep away the calories.

I drink coffee, tea and soda occasionally. The soda helps me burp because for weeks I listened to what my doc said (no soda) and sometimes I just wanted to burp! I dont have it everyday or necessarily every week, but when I feel like it I have one, a diet one of course. coffee is now Decaf, but I do have cream and sweetener in it. I just read the book skinny bitch, it is funny, but also so very informative about sweeteners, meat, the usda etc.

I say everything is ok, but of course in moderation.

I asked about the soda issue at the pre-surgery class and was told no, but when I pressed about having a little carbinated Water between meals (so it wasn't affecting how much Protein I'd eat, etc), I was told that maybe that was okay in moderation. I think the general fear is that addicts latch onto anything and we're not great with moderation so there is a lot of "no" that could be "in moderation at certain times".

Me, I don't drink a lot of diet soda, and can go for weeks without.....but the minute I was told no, I craved it.

Gwenn