Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The crazy way my husband handles tel a marketing call.

My wonderful crazy....husband and I were watching tv last night. In the middle of one of our favorit shows and the phone rings. I'm watching my husband to see who it is....if it was for me or what. Who ever it was, just kept going on and on and on. MY husband was listening patiently and then all of a sudden I hear my husband say.....

My name is Tommy and I'm going to get to ride in a police car. Then he says...I'm going to ride in a police car andddddd go get ice cream. Then he put the phone down and turned the tv back to our show.

He is just sooooo good at tel a marketing calls. :unsure:

My sister gives the phone to her 2 year old son when telemarketers call. He loves to talk on the phone and eventually the telemarketer just hangs up on him. He can talk your ears off, lol! Fortunately, I don't have to deal with them. We got rid of our land line phone and now we just use our cell phones. I'm sure there are some telemarketers out there with some outrageous stories about how people handle their calls.

Ha, I do that too. I just hand the phone over to Eliza, she'll chat to anyone.

Doug just simply puts the phone down on the bench and walks away - he doesnt hang up. It must drive them insane not to be able to disconnect the call. We get around to hanging up maybe half an hour later, lol.

My sister gives the phone to her 2 year old son when telemarketers call. He loves to talk on the phone and eventually the telemarketer just hangs up on him. He can talk your ears off, lol! Fortunately, I don't have to deal with them. We got rid of our land line phone and now we just use our cell phones. I'm sure there are some telemarketers out there with some outrageous stories about how people handle their calls.

Oh, I am soooo going to do this next time!

i ask them if they can hold on a sec and then i can listen to them, then i put the phone on mute and speaker and just set the phone down...ruins their call handle time.

My first not-working-for-family job was a telemarketer. What can I say, I was 17 and they paid like $15/hour at the time, and it was super easy work. At the time there were two big rules: 1) you must get "no" twice before you can end the call, and 2) you can never hang up without two no's. By leaving your phones idle, most likely they have to go get a supervisor to give them permission to hang up. Gotta love it. :(

My husband is more patient than I. He will politely decline. I answer, and as soon as I hear that pause or click indicating my phone is transferring over I either hang up or tell them to take me off their DNC list.

If they're the type to piss me off and try to talk over me (another strategy they're trained on doing), I will act interested, have them read the the rules countless times, ask a bunch of questions, then just say "Nah, not interested."

Here's how you can handle the mail version of telemarketing. When you get junk mail, duct tape the entire envelope to a brick. Leave the address part visible (only put the tape on the sides of the envelope). Then take it to the post office and tell then you are declining delivery. It is shipped back to the sender at their expense. :laugh:

Haha your husband is a classic!

We have a Do Not Call register now in Australia and it is a wonderful thing, I don't get half the calls I used to get. We still get charities calling and I always feel bad saying no to them, but geez where do you draw the line? If I gave money to every charity that rang me I would be in need of a charity myself!

Keri

As soon as I hear someone calling me Mrs Green and asking me how I am I immediately ask them what they are selling. This ruptures their line of patter. Then I tell them that I am not interested thank you very much and hang up. Sometimes I can hear them still talking, trying to get that second no as I am hanging up.

In the evening I like to watch TV. This is when I vet all incoming phone calls. I let the answering machine take them. I hate telemarketers.

I screen ALL calls from my land line. If I don't know the number it rolls to the answering machine. My hubby hates it, but oh well.

I may have to try that! We are on the Do-not-call-list, and that has helped, but charities are of course exempt. We used to be fine, I didn't answer calls that were marked "Unknown" on the caller ID. Well, we've had 3 now that were marked "Private" which before was always my mom. They are getting sneaky.

haha, you guys have some pretty funny responses.

Personally, unless I don't like their attitude I always give them a chance to get the first part of their "speil" off before I say no thank you and hang up. The way I look at it is - yes, it is annoying to those of us receiving the calls, but it is someone's livelyhood. And perhaps we do not agree with their career choices, but everyone has to start somewhere. So I give them the chance to at least do their opening line. I don't do anything to ruin their stats or handle times in case it impacts their job in a negative way. I guess I'm a big softie, but I'd rather they work as a telemarketer than be on welfare or whatever.

I don't get the calls anymore. I would say "Excuse me, how did you get my number?", only to be told that they just go down a list on numbers in order. Then I would say "In that case, please remove my number from the list. I am paying money to have an unlisted number, mainly in order to not receive unsolicited phone calls."

I had to do this only a few times before I stopped receiving the calls. I do happen to have an unlisted number, but I passed this tip on to friends who didn't, and it still worked for them.

haha, you guys have some pretty funny responses.

Personally, unless I don't like their attitude I always give them a chance to get the first part of their "speil" off before I say no thank you and hang up. The way I look at it is - yes, it is annoying to those of us receiving the calls, but it is someone's livelyhood. And perhaps we do not agree with their career choices, but everyone has to start somewhere. So I give them the chance to at least do their opening line. I don't do anything to ruin their stats or handle times in case it impacts their job in a negative way. I guess I'm a big softie, but I'd rather they work as a telemarketer than be on welfare or whatever.

Good point, well said - (although I still don't like 'em)

lol.. i just hang up they annoy me esp when ur trying to do something way more important, if they do get a line in its always no thanks bye