Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home and Banded

It's been a long day but I am finally home and banded.

I arrived at the hospital at 8 a.m. yesterday. After another blood draw I got my cute little backless gown and got to wait on the most uncomfortable cot for about two hours. They came to get me for surgery at 10:15. They gave me a little shot of happy juice on the way to the OR and that is pretty much the last thing I remember until I woke up in the recovery room. They gave me a shot of morphine and I don't remember much else until they took me to my room.

I was up and walking within half an hour of getting to my room. I sucked on ice chips for about half an hour and then they brought Isopure, Jello and iced tea. It sure tasted good. (Not the Isopure so much but the tea was great!)

I've been up walking about ten minutes out of each hour and drinking my six ounces of fluids per hour, blowing on the little machine they give you to clear your lungs, and pumping my feet. The pain hasn't been bad and so far I haven't had any gas pain. The doctor finally came by at 3 p.m. today to release me. By then I was thoroughly bored with the limited channel selection at the hospital and ready to go home. I had excellent care and the nurses on the floor I was on were wonderful. I have five small incisions and one larger one.

Sorry for the long post but I really have appreciated everyone's success stories and wanted to share mine.

Have a great day!

I was banded on 2-13-08 & i'm feeling fine, no real pain, just a bit of stiffness. I also don't remember much, sliding over onto the OR table & that's it. Then i woke up in recovery & went to get my first fluro for placement of the band, drank the barium & all, Stayed in the hospital overnite & was discharged by 7:15AM !!! My only discomfort is burping alot, is this normal??

Take care all & keep on sipping !

Janet :wink_smile:

I'm so glad to hear you are both doing well and the pain is limited! Welcome home and congrats!!

Thanks hijabigirl, before you know it you'll be with us on the banded side,

good luck to you, jan:thumbup:

StLouisGal and Cruzinjan - Thank you both for sharing. It's great StLouisGal to hear such detailed information about your experience. It's very encouraging and I enjoyed reading it. I often wonder what I will remember about the procedure. Glad to hear you didn't remember them putting the tube down your throat. That's my biggest fear. Thanks for sharing and I wish you both all the best.

Yeah, welcome to Bandlandia!!!!!

It is so great to be here and have you join us.

You will do GREAT!!!!

I'm really glad I don't remember any tubes. :girl_hug::clap::thumbup:

Today I have a little more pain around the port incision but still nothing I really need pain medication for. Just have to hold it when I try to walk around. Today I kind of feel like I've been hit by a mac truck :smash:but it really isn't unbearable. As soon as DD gets here I am going to try to take a shower.:)

Congratulations!! StLouisGal! :( Here's a Protein drink toast :tt2: to your speedy recovery!

~Amy

Thanks Amy, It went really smoothly,;) I think thanks to all the good advice and support I got here. :wub: You have been a terrific support. I'm up walking around, sipping my Water and Protein shake. Trying hard to take things slow because I don't want a relaps. Port incision still hurts when I walk:eek: but if I hold it, not too bad. Nurse said that was very normal. :thumbup:

How are you feeling, back to "normal" yet?

I am feeling pretty much back to normal. Once in a while my port feels like it is pinching, but that isn't too bad to deal with. I go for my first fill on the 27th. I am down 17 pounds so far, and I hope that fill will help give me another little nudge in the right direction.

You were such a great support to me when I was waiting for insurance approval, so I am glad that I can return that support to you now.

Rest up and focus on healing.

~Amy

I was so glad to hear your surgery went well, I'm from the Lake of the Ozarks area and just got my surgery date for April 8th. (Goin to Mexico) I am just wondering do u think u will feel like going back to work 1 week after surgery? I am a hairdresser and that is what my plans are.....do u feel like it is possible? Thanks:confused2:

I was so glad to hear your surgery went well, I'm from the Lake of the Ozarks area and just got my surgery date for April 8th. (Goin to Mexico) I am just wondering do u think u will feel like going back to work 1 week after surgery? I am a hairdresser and that is what my plans are.....do u feel like it is possible? Thanks:confused2:

It's good to hear from you. I grew up around the lake at California, MO. Great area to live in.

I don't know if you will be up to going back to work on your feet all day by the end of a week. The bending and pulling you have to do to wash someone's hair is not going to be comfortable. I feel great after three days but I am barely up to washing my own hair and certainly not up to standing on my feet all day. Of course you are tweny years younger than I am and that will make a big difference. I am a receptionist and plan to go back to work after two weeks. You certainly don't want to have a relaps or pull something. Ask you doctor what he thinks.

Good luck. Hope you have a smooth surgery and recovery. It will be here before you know it.