Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Close to goal...NOW WHAT????

I was banded 1/3/07. I am 5'4". My highest weight was back in 2002 at 272 lbs. I lost 55 lbs on Weight Watchers, but through the years slowly put some weight back on. The summer of 2006 I reached my breaking point and decided something needed to be done and I was over struggling with my weight. I was banded at 240 lbs with a BMI of 40. I am not 146 lbs with a BMI of 25.1. 24.9 is "normal weight" so I decided that was good enough for me...even though I think I'll push to the 100 lbs mark (6 more lbs). I think I just keep changing my goal because I don't know what happens next. I am considering plastic surgery (lower body lift and tummy tuck), but have to become a little more comfortable with such an extensive procedure before making my final decision.

So how do I stop losing weight? I have a tiny amount of fill in my band (about 1-1.5 CCs). Do I get "unfilled"? I don't feel I have learned any really good coping skills and positive behavioral eating techniques....meaning with no band I do not think I will be able to maintain my weight. I feel lost and confused. Anyone else going through this? Or is there any advice for me out there?

I'm close to my "ideal" weight and I really worry that I won't be able to maintain. Afraid that the old bad habits may sneak in. Even though I'll be done lossing I still would like a fill to help with that. :wink_smile:

I have wondered too how I will maintain without gaining. I guess normal food but watch it really close? Not sure but good luck!

Congratulations on your success. I've had my band 5 years now and my only advice is to keep on doing what you've been doing so far. If your too tight get a slight unfil because you actually need to be eating good, healthy foods. Exercise and tone up if that is what you need to do. Other than that take it one day at a time and now focus on other things beside your weight. It will take a long time to mentally adjust to what your body had gone through.

Congratulations.

Ana

I'm at goal and was recently unfilled due to being too tight (AGAIN!) I have considered trying to lose more, but honestly I am tired of all the comments about my "wasting away", etc. I am happy with my size. Are you losing on a consistent basis? If you are at goal and still losing and want to stop, I would get a slight unfill. Not a complete unfill. If you aren't losing regularly, just keep your fill as is. That is the good thing about the band-it's adjustable! I understand about learning better habits as well. Since I was unfilled Monday I went to get some fast food. Not because I really craved it or anything, my mind just said go for it, since I had no fill. It didn't taste that great and I was disappointed in myself, but we just have to start each day anew. Congrats on the great weight loss and continued success in the future.

Does your Dr's office have a nutritionist? Maybe you could ask them about maintenance. Or join weight watchers to lose the last 6 pounds and they will suggest a maintenance phase for you.

Generally you would look at the average weight loss you've recently had.

Is it one pound a week you are losing? If that's your average then you would add 500 calories a day to maintain your current weight. do that for one month and if you stay the same, fine, if not then you adjust the daily maintenance calories up or down.

This is an approx amount, everyone has a different metabolism.

But since it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to lose one pound a week, you divide that by seven days and you have 500. Then you have to decide how to "spend" your extra 500 daily calories. I would check my nutrients. Could you use more Fiber in your diet by adding some fruit? Or maybe extra Calcium in your diet, so add diary. Spending them on sweets should be an occasional treat.

I would go the Weight watchers route for a few months, just to get the routine of a healthly maintenance diet.

Hope that helps! Congratulations on meeting your goal!

Go online and figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight. Continue to eat healthy the majority of time, but its okay if you splurge on occasion. Make sure you keep up the exercise but it doesn't necessarily have to be as intense. Congrats! I hope to be joining you soon. I have about 30-35lbs to go and I will be at goal. I can't wait!

Just a word of warnign on that - I was at a seminar Wednesday night and the surgeon speaking made the point that one of the reasons its so difficult to get to a normal BMI is that for some reason not really understood, someone formerly obese will very likely need way LESS calories than someone who's always been a healthy weight to maintain. So you need to find your own happy medium there.

But the goal thing, yes, exactly where I"m at too at the moment. I dont know. I'm afraid to stop trying to lose. I've never been happy with my weight, even when I wasnt fat, I've been on a diet since I was 10 years old. I just wanted to crack 70kg so I am keeping on keeping on, but its literally 800 grams away. What do I do then?

I'm also unsure of maintenance of the band over the long haul. Lately, I've been starving hungry at 2 hourly intervals, I still get full quickly but I can eat a bit more than I could, and its not staying with me, I'm really really hungry between meals. I have taken a deep breath and thought, well, I run regularly, I do strenght training, I have a very busy life, its OK to be freaking hungry and its OK to eat when you're hungry. Hard concept, huh?

So that's what I've been doing, eating when I'm hungry. And actually my weight's dropped very very slightly.

But I probably *could* justify another fill. I'm going to see my doc, probably not to get a fill but because I want to know what to expect from here on in, I mean we will probably all require top ups at some point to maintain.

But learning to eat for maintenance as a normal weight person is going to be a big new challenge for me. I find it hard to give myself permission to eat. Not that I"m talking about "going off a diet" of course, but I just dont have to be constantly thinking deprivation, dont eat or you wont lose kind of thing.

And I make sure to keep up my exercise.

I was so happy to be able to eat today. There are maybe 7 days a month when I can ACTUALLY eat without feeling physically horrible. I plan on doing something for maintenance, but was considering working with a nutritionist. It's a 2 fold reason...for myself, and because my brother is obese and won't do any drastic weight loss thing. I figure he will at least see a nutritionist if I go. I am not thrilled with the level of follow up I have gotten with my surgeon and his associates, so I rather branch out on my own.

I do lose weight consistently, rapidly even. Last week alone I lost 3 lbs in 3 days. They I plateau, and back to a losing binge.

I think I will talk to my doctor about a slight unfill. I only have about 1.5 CCs in there now, maybe take .5 out? I'm sure with the fact that I have so little, even a little out would make a big difference.

I am totally confused. Most people as they get closer to goal lose slower and why can you only eat one week out of the month without feeling sick? What kind of sick do you get and why?

If it's because of your level of restriction, I do not understand why you are so tight that you can't eat and then you lose weigth thru starvation. That's not very good for your health.

Before you go see the nutritionist, I would log what you eat for a couple weeks, so you can review that with her/him.

I am totally confused. Most people as they get closer to goal lose slower and why can you only eat one week out of the month without feeling sick? What kind of sick do you get and why?

If it's because of your level of restriction, I do not understand why you are so tight that you can't eat and then you lose weigth thru starvation. That's not very good for your health.

Before you go see the nutritionist, I would log what you eat for a couple weeks, so you can review that with her/him.

I have been a big barrell of complications. The first of which was my port came up from the muscle back in April. I had revision surgery in August, and surprisingly enough it came up AGAIN. I have always had very very tight restriction, but instead of dealing with my doctor and discussing possibilities and solutions with him, I just continue what I am doing. I am not starving. I just eat VERY VERY little portions, but a few times throughout the day. I supplement myself with Ensure and yogurts. (I didn't mention that my doctor is extremely hard to get in touch with. When I finally do speak to him it is usually me yelling at him for the fact that it has taken me so long). Most recently I had pneumonia, which the doctors figured I had for a number of weeks without symptoms. That had a direct effect on my eating. I thought my band had slipped, but CT scan proved otherwise.

With regard to what I eat. Well, today I had about 1.5 eggs with yolk for Breakfast. For lunch I had a small arugula salad with goat cheese (but was only able to eat very little of it because my eggs sat in my stomach for so long). I had apple juice in between. Tonight I am having some tuna and salmon sashimi. That is a typical day for me. It is just some days, like yesterday, I can tolerate a lot more food. Then today my digestion is very very slow. I have gone days without eating, but that was months ago, when I was struggling with food challenges, coming to learn what my body can and cannot tolerate. I lose no weight when I don't eat. I just want to get through the next few pounds and have a slight unfill. I think that will help.

Just as soon as you REACH goal, call your doc for an adjustment. Don't worry if your appointment is 2-4 weeks out...it's okay.

Eat normal. Like, your new normal...how you plan on eating for the rest of your life...normal.

IF, and that's an IF...if you gain weight...go back to dieting.

IF you still lose weight get a slight unfill. Your doc has been trained by Inamend on how much an unfill should be.

Then, eat normally. IF you gain...diet/and get the fill back.

If you still lose weight, get another adjustment.

If nothing is happening and you gain a pound or two but then lose it...you are so DONE.

That's where I am. I am 143...can get up to 145 but then the next week I'm back to 143.

Congrats!

After 14 months I was able to read the numbers 145.2 on the scale, which probably have not been under my feet since 1991...PROBABLY.

I tried calling my doctor to schedule an appointment with him next week, but it is snowing pretty badly here, and Mr. Reliable's office is closed. Shocking!!!