Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills and is your port directly underneath your incision?

Jen:

My port is right under my large incision. I had hiatal (spelling?) hernia repair too.

Fills are a piece of cake (oops, not eating cake anymore:lol:). My doctor uses a numbing medication first, then the fill. I can hardly feel it. He doesn't use fluoroscopy, just experience, and surgeons skilled hands.

I was a bit stressed before first fill because of the unknown. It's so easy though, not worth worrying about.

Hope yours is easy too.

Sue

I was wondering, if any of you have the "low-profile" port ?

And if so, any idea if its like the normal one...right under the incision, and how deep ?

Thanks for the responses!

John

John:

I think I might have the low profile port. I was banded last July. My port is right under the incision which is just slightly below the bottom and middle of my rib cage. I think I have the low profile port because it is very flat and it feels like it's only about a half inch below the skin. It doesn't bulge out at all, starting to get the top of my stomach flat and the port isn't visable at all, just a 3 inch scar.

I hope that someone who definitely knows that they have a low profile port responds so that I can tell if mine is or not.

Sue

I have the Realize band and thought I read on here that it comes with the low profile port. Mine is also directly below my incision.

I go for my first fill tomorrow.

Thanks for all the great feedback, I feel better already.

I just had my first fill. Like you I was nervous. The scar below my ribs in the middle is where my port is located. The only thing that was uncomfortable was the pushing in that area to locate the port. It was a bit of a sting. As for the injection, they went through the scar and it did not hurt, I barely felt it. I was put on 24 hour liquids , and the band area itself was kinda sore for that day. It does feel like I have some restrictions but the Doctor said it could take more than one fill to feel the effects and that I must monitor my food intake. But all in all my fears were for nothing. Good luck.

Hi,

I had the same worry - my port site was very tender, too. I went for my first fill really dreading it, but wanting and needing it so bad that I was willing to suffer. Well, it really wasn't bad. No numbing at all, felt like a needle stick and was over very quickly. When they felt for my port it took a second, but not long enough to really bother me. I do have a very easily accessible port, and I guess sometimes it is harder to get to, but my experience was pretty easy. And a lot changes in a few weeks, your pain in that area will probably subside quite a bit between now and then. Hope you do well!

I've realized that my port is directly underneath the incision, which is the longer, raised incision compared to the others. Like many of you, this incision site is the most tender and I'm getting nervous about my first fill, which I admit is still a couple of weeks away. As I review more and more pictures and videos, it seems that usually the port is located at least some distance away from the incision.

Does anyone else have their port located directly underneath their incision, and if so, was it particularly painful/difficult to palpate the port and have the first fill? I don't believe that my doctor uses fluoro for his fills and I don't know whether he uses any type of numbing agent when doing the fills.

Thanks for your advice/experiences!

Mine is in the same position and my first 2 fills have been a piece of cake. Good Luck!

Cindy