Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well I am almost 2 weeks post op and back to normal. I am eating regular food and having no problem. I can tell the swelling is gone as I have no restriction. I am slowly gaining the 13 lbs I have lost. Ugh, I have my first fill on 2/28. Is this normal? I am just sick of being hungry.:)

Hi, KTBEEE. I'm not banded yet, but soon to be banded, however, I can tell you what my doctor has told me as well as 3 of his staff members who've had the procedure done in the last 2 - 3 years. They keep telling me that the main focus for the first 6 weeks (until your first fill) is to heal. They said, as hard as it seems, try not to focus on loosing weight...but instead let your body accept the band and heal... I hope this helps, and I know you'll be hearing from some wonderful bandsters who have been banded who will give you more experienced input... but just wanted to let you know what I've been told.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll be loosing very soon.

Totally and completely NORMAL! Yep, this is bandster hell. This is the time to try and retrain your eating habits in anticipation of future restriction. You're hungry? Okay...EAT. But eat RIGHT. Get in the habit of piling on the Proteins. I taught myself to like fish right after banding. Never liked it before. It is now a diet staple for me. If I am hungry I pop a filet in the oven. I'll slather it in lemon juice or concot a lower cal sauce to dip into, but I use this type of food (or steamed veggies) to fill up on.

I had the same problem you are having... you are normal! Don't stress out about weight loss or lack of it. Like the other people above mentioned you just need to concentrate on healing. The band is slow and gradual. It isn't like gastric bypass. It could take you a few months to get to where you have enough restriction to really lose weight. The only restriction you have right now is from the swelling from surgery. The band just being placed doesn't help you at all. Right after surgery you swell and that gives you restriction. Some people keep feeling that restriction for weeks and even months after surgery. I felt it for about 1-2 weeks max. Then I started getting hungry. It is very frustrating but as long as you keep reminding yourself that it is normal you will get through it. The reason you aren't feeling restriction is because you are one of the ones whose swelling went down early. So, here is what you need to do. Schedule your first fill, maybe it is scheduled already. My doctor allowed us to have our first fill a month after surgery - but the qualification to get it was that you had to be hungry. I was! Most definitely! They want to make sure the swelling has gone down and that everything is nicely healed and in working order - hunger is a sign of that. Then, remember that even after that first fill you still might not be there! Try to be patient (this is easy for me to say, I haven't done so well at this either but I'm a few months ahead of you so have had more time to practice!) It may take four,five or more fills to get you on the losing path - I have had 4 fills (up to 6.5 in a 10cc band) and I am just starting to feel restriction. You will lose the weight, it is just going to take time. Hopefully it helps to know you aren't crazy or a failure!

Less than 2 weeks postop and you're eating regular food? Is this what your Dr. recommends?

Many people are on liquids and/or soft food for several weeks post op.

Until you get your band filled to get restriction, you could gain unless you use some restraint and concentrate on being sure you get enough Protein in and continue to eliminate OR greatly reduce carbs.

Yes, it's hard to do until you get the right restriction. It's a choice we make. Gain some weight back or continue to diet.

I'm in the same place. Have had five fills and still don;t have good restriction, so it can take awhile.

Totally and completely NORMAL! Yep, this is bandster hell. This is the time to try and retrain your eating habits in anticipation of future restriction. You're hungry? Okay...EAT. But eat RIGHT. Get in the habit of piling on the Proteins. I taught myself to like fish right after banding. Never liked it before. It is now a diet staple for me. If I am hungry I pop a filet in the oven. I'll slather it in lemon juice or concot a lower cal sauce to dip into, but I use this type of food (or steamed veggies) to fill up on.

This is very good advice. Make sure you stay away from carbs although I know that they are the easiest to get down right now. Eat as much Protein as you can. It will help with the hunger. Make sure the meat is very lean and very moist! Chew chew chew and eat slowly!

Thank you all of you!! I seem to be going back and forth on the 1lb. Yea I am on regular food but I really watch it. They said I was a fast healer and if I am comfortable eating it then its fine but be mindful about it. I couldn't eat a hamburger but more like salmon and some salad. I eat some crackers and suck on them to get them mooshy. But I also am on Soups and yogurt. But I am proud of one thing, NO CAFFEINE or REGULAR POP!!! Good Luck to all of you!! And THANK YOU AGAIN